Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: luvsclassiccars ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 10:16AM

I officially resigned a year ago..... Yesterday I was approached by a missionary (at my mothers home, which isn't even my home address)..he asked for me by my name...I asked him how he got my name...He said through "records"..I said thats interesting since I resigned a year ago...he said "Is there anything I can do for you?"...that was a loaded question...but I politely said no and walked away...I guess they don't remove your name permanently!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 10:20AM

The church talks about the Lord's house being a house of order, but that doesn't mean it is either the Lord's house or a house of order. Just because HQ might have moved your name over to a different list, it doesn't mean it got deleted from some old list floating around the ward or the missionaries' apartment.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 11:47AM

Oh but they'll pull a dozen or so lower-status males ('elders') to direct drivers to parking spaces at stake conference to make sure they (drivers) park in the right place.
I can hear the snickers from the older nerdy kids about the PH duties: point to vacant parking spaces.
Yeah, that's what 'The Authority to act for God' is for!

Ever notice that the "High Priests" never get that assignment?

they amplify minor items, but haven't heard of the Golden Rule in many years; Love for God & neighbor?
I'm not sure we teach that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2011 11:56AM by guynoirprivateeye.

Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: October 07, 2011 01:33PM

LDS, Inc. is right on the money with record keeping, pun intended. They are however liars when it comes to their own policies such as striking names off the list and no-contacts, etc.

Posted by: Tabula Rasa ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 10:22AM

Doesn't matter. A '57 Chevy Nomad with a FI 283 and three on the tree always beats churchin'..

Just sayin'...

Ron

Posted by: luvsclassiccars ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 10:38AM

Hey Ron...How about a 67 Camaro,454 Big Block, Positraction rear-end, Rack-n-pinion steering....and it will be driven on Sundays!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2011 10:41AM by luvsclassiccars.

Posted by: Tabula Rasa ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 11:53AM

Nothin' like a rat motor! :)

Ron (grew up in Detroit)

Posted by: peregrine ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 10:28AM

I was in a Stake Conference a few years ago where Elder Withlin, publicly rebuking our bishop, emphatically told the audience, "There is no such thing as a 'do not contact' list."

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 11:28AM

Certainly at RfM, posters have described incidents where their clear desire for “do not contact” has not been respected. However, to have an LDS apostle PUBLICLY and “emphatically” deny that a former member has a right to be free from LDS harassment is surprising.

They have NO respect for people's boundaries.

Posted by: peregrine ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 03:35PM

At the time I was still active. My first response was simply, "Why does he want us to waste our time trying to contact people who have already made their position clear?" only later did I realize what he meant was "How dare anybody think they are beyond our control."

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 04:58PM

Mormons love to think they can control others by example, by preaching to them, through guilt and threats, whatever it takes even to dunking them after they're dead and rotting in their graves.

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 10:56AM

I have been out of the mormons since the 60's. Several years ago someone from this ward called me and told me they wanted to update their files on me. After a few choice words,,hung up the phone.

Date: October 06, 2011 10:58AM

I can't give percentages, but I and many others have been harassed after we've resigned and now it's happened to you as well. Thanks for helping to set the record straight.

I'd say that resignation cuts down on the unwanted contacts but does not guarantee that they'll cease. Also, turning in a letter to resign might increase contact temporily until the morg agrees to finalize it in their records.

Congratulations for getting out of a organization which does this kind of stalking.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 11:34AM

FWIW, I don't think this situation applies (identically, anyway) to the ex'd Mos.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 01:40PM

They have records and more records -- and the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing far too often.

As long as they have a name as a member, they will try to locate them and update their records. They can do that. It's not stalking and it's not illegal. Annoying, maybe, but it can be cleared up. I think you handled it well.

Date: October 06, 2011 03:16PM

if they refuse to comply. Outdated morg records are not the responsibility of a resigned member.

Perhaps this poster has not been clear about not wanting contact. Still, the fact of resigning is one clear way of communicating that sentiment.

Posted by: silverlightx ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 04:51PM

I guess that's one more reason to explicitly state in your resignation letter that you never want the church to ever contact you again.

I'm strongly considering, once I write it, putting in a denial of permission to contact or proxy-baptize any relative of mine. But I'm not sure it would do any good, given their total lack of respect for anyone else's wishes on the subject.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 01:46PM

When you resign, your Bishop will have a file indicating that you have done so. The members of our ward who had resigned were still visited, and their current addresses were kept updated.

If you were to move and then decide to go back to church, the new bishop can get your file from membership records and/or the old bishop in order to determine what course to take regarding you.

Nobody deletes your file. When you resign your membership you are merely placed in a different folder.

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 03:27PM

They probably DID update their records. They moved you from the database file called "current_members" to the database file called "ex_members"!

In doing that they created a link to all known previous addresses and family connections. And so begins the missionary work!

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 03:57PM

we must all have 666 GPS chips implanted at time of baptism and didn't know it. now they can find us and try to drag us back to the mother ship at any given time!

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 05:12PM

I resigned officially back in July of this year. Got the standard "Bishop deals with this crap" letter really quickly.

Then a few months later I got the final letter saying that I had "officially resigned" according to them.

In between the two letters, I moved.

The final letter was sent to my new address NO FORWARDING information necessary. (I had been in my new place less than two weeks).

So, they are good enough to know exactly where and WHEN I move, but they aren't good enough to know who resigns.

Date: October 06, 2011 05:19PM

Exactly! It's a matter of priorities. They're good at whatever suits them and they slack off whenever it suits their agenda.

Date: October 06, 2011 09:26PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.