Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 11:25AM

It seems ChurchCo is saturating the Seattle television market with "...and I'm a Mormon".

I'm already afraid to turn on the TV.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 11:37AM

Posted by: BrightAqua ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 11:39AM

That's one big reason why I love DVRs - fast forward!!! I record almost everything I watch, except for local news.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 11:40AM

Many Nevermos are sick of their doorbells ringing every six months as yet another pair of Mormon missionaries arrive to pester them with their worn-out sales pitch. Now these Nevermos cannot even watch their usual TV programs without running into goodie-two-shoes Mormons!

MIght this ad campaign will end up backfiring?

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 11:42AM

WiserWomanNow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Many Nevermos are sick of their doorbells ringing every six months as yet another pair of Mormon missionaries arrive to pester them with their worn-out sales pitch. Now these Nevermos cannot even watch their usual TV programs without running into goodie-two-shoes Mormons!
>
> Might this ad campaign will end up backfiring?

Probably. But considering the last time I personally had missionaries in my apartment was several years ago, I don't think I have to worry. Were they to show up, I'd probably tell them to sit down and decide: home-cooked, takeout, or cheap, cheesy buffet?

Posted by: dr5 ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 09:22PM

Maybe the next time the mishies come by I'll invite them to sit down and read Mormon Doctrine with me.

Posted by: dr5 ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 09:24PM

This is a good use of tithing money?

Is the idea to make Mitt seem mainstream/electable?

Date: October 06, 2011 11:41AM

I tell you, I'm so tempted to go to one of the websites for one of these people and start putting in minor digs like, "And you're part of a destructive cult that has to put out stuff like your commercial to try to prove to people that you're not a cult?"

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 11:48AM

They are running add campaigns in various cities across the country.

"The "I'm a Mormon" campaign in Phoenix will continue through February 2012. Other cities in the campaign are Spokane, Wash., Seattle, Austin, Texas, San Antonio, Texas, Omaha, Neb., Lincoln, Neb., Denver, Atlanta, Indianapolis, Fort Wayne, Ind., and South Bend, Ind."http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/story/2011-10-02/mormon-church-media-campaign/50637136/1

The rest of the article is pretty nuts as well if anyone wants to start a seperate thread it would probably generate several discussions.

Posted by: oddcouplet ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 09:47PM

I used to live there. It's practically the most Catholic town in America, being largely made up of Italian, Hungarian, Irish, and Polish families. It actually has two Catholic churches next door to one another: St. Patrick's and Our Lady of Hungary.

Oh yeah: It also has the University of Notre Dame.

Posted by: jeebusinasidecar ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 10:01PM

It's happening in Spokane? I never thought I'd be glad that our TV hasn't worked for over a year. It seems funny to play the ads here-there are already quite a few Mormons in the area.

Date: October 06, 2011 04:13PM

They've already shown up here in Atlanta. I'm so tempted to go to their website and start the "cult cult cult" talk.

Posted by: SpongeBob SquareGarments ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 04:49PM

Don't let us stop you.

michael Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They've already shown up here in Atlanta. I'm so
> tempted to go to their website and start the "cult
> cult cult" talk.

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 04:14PM

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 05:13PM

Posted by: Raised by JackMormons ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 05:19PM

We are saturated with them here in Denver.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 05:55PM

a) too much idle time / money in the COB

b) desperation

c) some of BOTH

Posted by: ladybug ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 08:48PM

I'm interested if all the targeted areas aer seeing the same ones. Here in Indy, i have seen 6 different people (usually 2 per commercial). Of the 6 only 2 are caucasian and they are women. No male caucasians at all. At least 2 of the others have accents.

Posted by: NevMoMN ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 09:14PM

Medium term lurking nevermo here - Do these adverts cause any dissonance in 'real' mormons? There are so many women and minorities in high powered jobs in the ads as opposed to what seems to be the 'real' mormon - a middle class white married couple with a SAHM.

I do point out when they're on that, for example, if the woman is a law professor, she still has less religious authority than a 12 year old boy, er Aaronic priesthood holder.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 09:21PM

My tbm sister made the observation that there aren't any families like hers in those ads. she said she's never met any of those kind of fun interesting people in her ward.

She has 5 kids and is a stay at home mom.

Posted by: transplant in texas ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 09:51PM

dammit!! just another reason i won't watch TV...it's funny those Mormon ads are the ultimate foil to the overdone reality programming: overdone fantasy programming.

yuck.

Posted by: Quoth the Raven "Nevermo" ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 10:49PM

I mean, how can you not do that simple word substitution

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 10:53PM

I am very interested in seeing if diversity is misrepresented.

Anagrammy

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.