Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: MTCynic ( )
Date: October 07, 2011 09:20AM

Need some help on a likely confrontation.

Last night someone called to tell me I was on the clean-up team for this Saturday. I told them I would not be there. They said "We will catch you next time." They assumed I was not coming because I would be out of town. Something snapped inside me and I got defensive. My response was:

"I think the church should be hiring custodians --- especially in these bad economic times. Moreover, I think they should not be firing church workers at the church office building in SL and replacing them with older people who have been called on missions while at the same time building a very expensive mall.

The caller got huffy and said, "Well you are entitled to your opinion." But I could tell he was angry. This will undoubtedly get around the ward since I am the choir pianist.

I need to know if what I said was true. Did the church really fire their clerical workers in SL and replace them with unpaid missionaries? I hate to just repeat rumours or be trapped by a falsehood. I need to know for sure because I will probably be called in to explain myself. Amy help would be great.

I always feel guilty after these kinds of things. Sometimes I can't sleep all night afterwards --- even though I know the whole thing is phoney.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: michael ( )
Date: October 07, 2011 09:29AM

I remember people on here talking about it. I even think there are a couple of short topics about it.

Don't feel bad. You did what's proper for you. You told them what you thought. The fact that this "person" didn't like what you said means he's the offended one, and according to Mormon-speak, it's his fault he was offended.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: October 07, 2011 09:35AM

No, you're in big trouble.

The janitors made way for the Church members to receive the blessings associated with cleaning the Chapel. It was inspired and nothing to do with financial matters - I know because I read the announcement.

Alternatively you could go to Church and tell people what a great time you had at the weekend.

I do not clean the Chapel.
When people ask why I tell them it's because I don't agree with the decision. I don't usually get any follow up questions.
However it is a bug bear for my sig. other because she does her duty. When we discuss I explain to her that I am happy for her to make her own decision on the matter, as will I.

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: October 07, 2011 09:44AM

I've said the same thing at church and I'm amazed on how many people hate the cleaning the building, most do it but there have been few who have ignored their duty. I usually mentioned how unfair it is for families to be using their Saturday morning to clean, it's most of the time the only day they have to sleep in, clean up or do housework.

We did have the custodians retired and they were not replaced. I'm not sure if anyone was fired, but it was probably a matter of timing as this new no more custodians came into effect around the same this custodian 'retired'.

Good luck. Don't worry too much I'm sure others are not happy either, just spreadt he word.

D

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 07, 2011 09:46AM

Yes - they did. Not all of them and maybe not most of them but a significant number of jobs were "eliminated due to the recession" and then replaced with older missionaries. I got this information a few months ago, directly from a friend who works at the COB. I was asking her if her job was in jeopardy but she said "No, it's too specialized and they couldn't get volunteers to do it." But she did confirm that many jobs had been eliminated and that missionaries were having to fill the gap.

I just tell people I won't clean the church because I'm not giving free service to the church until they explain why they have the money to build a billion dollar mall but not to hire help to clean the churches, providing jobs for struggling members. I also say "Service is helping at a food bank or donating to a homeless shelter - not giving free labor to a multi-billion dollar business that won't disclose how the money is being spent."

Which is probably why no one asks me any more. lol

Posted by: MTCynic ( )
Date: October 07, 2011 09:52AM

Thanks CA girl. That's what I was looking for. And thanks to all that responded.

Posted by: FreeRose ( )
Date: October 07, 2011 10:09AM

I so hope you can cut ties with TSCC. You are a pianist and janitor for TSCC and you don't even believe it. Stop giving your life and money away to something that is false. Start planning your escape!

Posted by: littledebbie1 ( )
Date: October 07, 2011 12:28PM

Most other churches do pay janitors...some rely on volunteers for choir director, pianist, etc. The operative word here is "volunteer". They are NOT 'called" and required to serve until they are "released" by some bishop!

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: October 07, 2011 12:00PM

You said what you needed to say to get the point across: The church is exploiting free labor, while spending billions on a mall. [and giving very little assistance to the poor]

Sooner or later, the resentment will catch up with them, even though members are reluctant to voice it. When someone gives 10% of their income to a church, with NO accounting of where the money goes, and then is expected to volunteer more and more free labor, they HAVE to wonder if they are being taken advantage of. Especially if they are in a leadership position to know what the tithing receipts and ward budget are.

When I was in the church, the amount of tithing we paid in the year was sometimes more than the entire ward budget (which I think was 6000-7000 for the entire year). Multiply that times a whole ward of people paying thousands a year in tithing.

Where does all that money go if they can't afford to pay janitors, or all those other "volunteer" positions?

Not to mention Choir pianists? Why do they expect paid professionals to donate their skills, when other churches pay them? Why isn't it at least considered a donation in kind?

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: October 07, 2011 12:11PM

"I will probably be called in to explain myself."

There is so much freedom outside of Mormonism, where one can make choices for themselves and have questions and opinions and preferences.

What does it say about a church where one is "called" to do any number of time-consuming tasks for free, where they make it hard to say no, and then they add more requests and expectations of free work on top, often taking up one's only day "off" and interrupting time that could be spent with family, friends and hobbies?

In non-mo churches, you can go for one hour a week, to worship, period. You are getting something out of it, with zero expectation to give anything back, even money, unless you choose to become involved in a class or activity or event, and where it's up to you whether to donate (or tithe) or not.

What a concept: Ask what the church can do for you, not what you can do for the church.

And there's nothing wrong with that. (It's not "selfish" as many of us have been socialized to believe).

There is something creepy, scary, and annoying about expecting to be "called in" to explain one's choices. Why can't a member just say no?

Good luck with it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2011 12:12PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 07, 2011 01:30PM

This is all stuff that did not exist when I was a member. We had custodians/janitors that took proper care of the buildings. I certainly do not want to use a restroom that has been cleaned by a member. ICK!! GAG!!!

There were no malls financially backed by the LDS Church. That's so ridiculous,it boggles my mind.

The LDS Church doesn't seem to care about the average member, they just keep working them and working them for all they can get with nothing in return.

Decline, give your reasons, stand your ground. Be proud of your position. Don't allow anyone to tell you you are wrong. Now get some sleep!

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 07, 2011 01:30PM

This is all stuff that did not exist when I was a member. We had custodians/janitors that took proper care of the buildings. I certainly do not want to use a restroom that has been cleaned by a member. ICK!! GAG!!!

There were no malls financially backed by the LDS Church. That's so ridiculous,it boggles my mind.

The LDS Church doesn't seem to care about the average member, they just keep working them and working them for all they can get with nothing in return.

Decline, give your reasons, stand your ground. Be proud of your position. Don't allow anyone to tell you you are wrong. Now get some sleep!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.