Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: October 10, 2011 04:29PM

"A recent poll found that one in five U.S. voters would support a Christian candidate over a Mormon."

("Mormonism a 'cult,' says pastor in comments on Romney," by CTVNews.ca Staff, 10 October 2011, at: http://edmonton.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20111010/romney-perry-mormonism-cult-111010/20111010/?hub=EdmontonHome)

And this continuing fact that just won't die for Romney's Mormon brigade--Despite indications of "somewhat less" antagonism toward Romney's Mormonism this time around than was evident in 2008, the so-called “Mormon Question" remains a worrisome problem for Romney:

"This is where things currently stand--Polling conducted for the Washington Post and ABC News, Gallup, and the Pew Research Center in recent months has shown between 20 and 25 percent of Americans say they either won’t vote for a Mormon or would be less likely to vote for one."

("Why Mitt Romney’s ‘Mormon Question’ doesn’t matter (as much) in 2012," by Chris Cillizza, "The Fix," in "The Washington Post," 10 October 2011, at: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/post/why-mitt-romneys-mormon-question-doesnt-matter-as-much-in-2012/2011/10/10/gIQAvgIeaL_blog.html)

Indeed, these numbers are in sync with a summer poll earlier this year by Gallup showing that a sizable minority of Americans surveyed wouldn't vote for Romney because he is a Mormon:

"A Gallup poll released this week shows that 22 percent of Americans would not vote for a Mormon, even if that candidate were running in the voters’ own parties. The percentage is not statistically much different from when Gallup interviewed voters in 1967 (when 17 percent said they would not vote for a Mormon). But it’s notable that the number of Mormon-phobes spiked to 24 percent in 2007, as Romney was making his first run for president, and is back up to 22 percent now that Romney and Huntsman are running."

("Poll: Romney and Huntsman Face the Voters' Mormon Problem," by Susan Milligan, "U.S. News and World Report," 21 June 2011, at: http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/susan-milligan/2011/06/21/poll-romney-and-huntsman-face-the-voters-mormon-problem)
_____

Mormons--completely out of touch as they are with the real world of politics as it exists on the ground in Non-Mormon America--lash back by stupidly pitching the Book of Mormon (after claiming they don't care about religion as a factor in the presidential race).

Take, for example, this reply from a defensive LDSer who clearly doesn't get the fact that proselytizing non-LDS voters with Book of Mormon fairy tales isn't going to bring waves of non-Mormon Christian voters to Romney's camp:

"One man has consistently stood above the rest and that is Rommney. [L]ook at the Olympics, they went under, he stepped in pulled them back up and back into positive numbers in an extraordinary short amount of time.

"Who cares what his religion is[?] [H]e has made it very clear--as all Mormons do--that Utah cannot and will not interfere with government.

"[A]nd not Biblical Christians? Oh please. [T]hat ship has soooooo sailed. If you ever take the time to read the BOM it supports the Bible and if you read the Bible, it supports that there were MANY MANY records written by the faithful Christians of that time of Christ and His teachings. I have read both and know a lot of Mormons. {T]heir actions speak for themselves[,] good folks who really believe in keeping the commandments and behaving themselves. [C]ould use a lot more of them-especially in Washington."

("Comments on: Is Romney's Mormon faith affecting votes? Mitt Romney's Mormon faith has once again come under fire as he tries to win over social conservatives," original emphasis, corrected for punctuation, at: http://www.cbsnews.com/8601-18563_162-20117715-5.html?assetTypeId=30&blogId=#ixzz1aPVJF9OE)

Clueless in Zion.
_____

Ladies and gentlemen, Mitt Romney has about as much of a chance of becoming president as Joseph Smith did (who was running for the U.S. presidency in 1844).

Edited 15 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2011 07:22PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brian M ( )
Date: October 10, 2011 04:38PM

I hope you're right Steve. Honestly, mostly just for my ego.

Do you think the media will highlight a fair detail of what exactly the Book of Mormon and Abraham purport to be?

I think a very simple synopsis showing how much of the Book of Mormon is direct quotes from the KJV bible alone would help many voters to realize that Mormonism is completely implausible and that is concerning that an educated politician would adhere to it.

Is there anything we can do as a community to inform the media of what we would most like to see stories on?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2011 04:40PM by Brian M.

Posted by: FreeRose ( )
Date: October 10, 2011 05:08PM

1) Morgbots research online to PROVE that TSCC is not a cult, only to find out tons of evidence it IS a cult and FALSE, causing mass resignations.

2) The media asks EXMOs if TSCC is a cult and why, not TBMs!

Posted by: SoCalNevermo ( )
Date: October 10, 2011 05:23PM

Some "respected" news organization will ask a GA if LDS is a cult. The expected answer is "no". That will settle it for all time as far as that news organization is concerned.

Date: October 10, 2011 05:25PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2011 05:36PM by steve benson.

Posted by: Dave ( )
Date: October 10, 2011 05:39PM

Just the day before Obama was elected, I firmly believed that there were still too many closeted racists around, which would make it impossible for an African-American to become president.

But Obama did get elected.

So now I think that everything is possible in America, even a Mormon president - in spite of born-again freaks.

(And this annoys me big-time, because it would be SO irritating to see Mormons having multiple orgasms over this, and seeing this as validation for their pathetic cult and as a testimony-strenghtening, millenium-ushering development.)

Date: October 10, 2011 05:41PM

Americans in the mainstream just don't trust him or relate to him--and they don't even have to be a Christian evangelical social conservative to get that or to feel that.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2011 05:48PM by steve benson.

Posted by: Scooter ( )
Date: October 10, 2011 09:22PM

if you're wearing magic underwear, dude you believe in magic underwear,

annnnd.....

if you're trying to present yourself as normal, why do you have a ferret hanging halfway out of your ass.

there's really only one way to present yourself as normal,

hint.

it's 100% about pulling the ferret out of your ass.

no tickee, no shirtee.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: October 10, 2011 08:14PM

I've enjoyed having a president who's smarter than a box of rocks. If I can't have the same one, then I'd rather it be the Mormon than one of the EVEN BIGGER total idiots running against him.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: October 10, 2011 05:48PM

Sounds like 20% of America thinks that Christians are somehow less crazy than Mormons. 20% of America hasn't really studied Christianity it seems.

Date: October 10, 2011 05:50PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2011 05:51PM by steve benson.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: October 10, 2011 09:11PM

Two months ago I might not have agreed with you. Now I think I do. He is suffering in the polls pretty heavily.

Either way, I am still very doubtful that the Republicans will pull together a candidate that could defeat the standing president.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2011 09:12PM by snb.

Posted by: elcid ( )
Date: October 10, 2011 05:52PM

An African American man was elected president in 2008, for the first time ever (and I voted for him).

I think despite these poll numbers, Mitt Romney has about a 50% chance, RIGHT NOW, of being elected in November 2012. Because the economy is so bad. Notwithstanding him being a Mormon.

I wish I could share your optimism, Steve. I don't care for Romney. But I think these are soft numbers. People may vote out of anger for Romney, even still borns.

Date: October 10, 2011 06:02PM

Hard-core primary voters nominate candidates who are pushed to either ideological extreme in their positions during the primaries in order to garner the votes they need to get into the Big Race.

Romney may nor may not win his party's nomination but if he does, he will do so without a significant minority bloc of the Religious Right that forcefully does not regard him or accept him as a Christian.

Once (or if) Romney gets the GOP nod for the national sweepstakes, mainstream Americans (whether evangelical Christians or not) will weigh in and will not, in my opinion, be sufficiently satisfied or comfortable with Romney to vote him into the Oval Office.

Again, Americans do not trust him. They didn't in '08 and they won't in '12. As proof of that, worried GOP leaders/kingmakers are increasingly (and desperately) looking for a candidate who can win--meaning that they are not looking to Romney, even though in the end they may have to suck it up and accept him as the GOP nominee.

It is simply not Mormon Mitt's time, regardless of other factors that may be in play.

Take the case study of when Romney got beat by Ted Kennedy for the U.S. Senate. In the latter stages of the race (where Romney appeared to be doing a good job of holding his own up to that point), Kennedy pulled out the Mormon card and hit Romney hard and furious with the LDS Church's anti-Black and anti-women doctrines and practices. Romney sank like a rock.

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2011 06:21PM by steve benson.

Posted by: Scooter ( )
Date: October 10, 2011 09:35PM

this time around, they look at ferret boy and cringe. They sit this election out. or vote for a third party.

the great story in 08 was the family in Alabama, sorry central Pennsylvania, when axed whose they were a votin', they said "I guess we're pickin' the nword."

they do not have that ambivolence about ferret-boy.

they're pretty much sure Obama was not weird enough to walk around with a ferret hanging out his ass.

the only thing they need to know about Mittens is that he walks around with a ferret hanging out his ass.

and that, is reason enough to not vote for him. which means not voting at all.

Posted by: voweaver ( )
Date: October 10, 2011 05:57PM

"... if you read the Bible, it supports that there were MANY MANY records written by the faithful Christians of that time of Christ and His teachings."

HUH???? I was under the impression that the bulk of the BOM was written outside of the "time of Christ and His teachings."

PLUS: Even a rudimentary analysis of the teachings of the "Palestinian Christ" would contradict a "back up Christ" on the American continent.

And I don't think the BOM can stand alone as representing Mormon beliefs. Gotta include BOA and D&C and King Follett... (or however the Hell it's spelled)

~VOW

Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: October 10, 2011 06:02PM

I think mormons are just glad to have a candidate in the race. And to have one who is the occasional front runner really sets their bosoms to burning. (I don't think most TBMs are counting Huntsman as one of their own.)

It will be a win-win for TBMs. Romney will lose and they can blame the loss on prejudice against mormons. Persecution also sets their bosoms to burning.

I liked Christopher Hitchen's comment that Joseph Smith didn't want to be Jesus, he wanted to be the American Mohammed. We should make sure the media gets wind of that little fact. At least it's one fact that will turn a few TBM's bosoms cold.

http://www.youtube.com/user/janetgoelzer (The video begins with Hitchens talking about Rick Perry, and the subject switches to mormons at about the two minute mark.)

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: October 10, 2011 08:18PM

I won't vote for him and I am a Repub. No way. I think this is why the Dems know that they want Romney to be the candidate against Obama. They know he has BIG negatives. It would be a defeat for Repubs. We, who know about them, don't vote for cult members.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.