Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: MadameRadness ( )
Date: October 10, 2011 10:40PM

...They are all totally awesome/super/nice/hardworking/fantastic people. They are totally not in a cult and SUPER Christians" *drool*

I see this as a response in the comment section of almost EVERY article i've read that is critical of Mormons. It always cracks me up, I know tons of people who know a Mormon or two and while they may not dislike them, they certainly aren't fawning all over them to the point of defending them via the web.

Am I the only one who instantly thinks "bullshit you aren't a Mormon" every time I see one of those "I'm not a Mormon BUT...." responses?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: October 10, 2011 10:49PM

Often it is phrased thusly:

They are <some of the most> awesome/super/nice/hardworking/fantastic people <out there>.

"Out there" is the big red flag. (I'm never quite sure where "out there" is.)

Yea - it's all part of lying for the lord.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: October 10, 2011 10:52PM

Yep, bullsh___ for sure. These are Mormons posing as normal people. It's their new job...make us look good by complimenting us every chance you can.

Posted by: vasalissasdoll ( )
Date: October 10, 2011 10:52PM

Honestly?

I know a lot of good mormons, too. They can be pushy sometimes, and a lot of the rudeness you'd have to either have been mormon, or lived in major mormon areas to appreciate.

When it comes to public attacks, though, I'd much rather go directly for the religious jugular and talk about scammy doctrine, misuse of church funds, or the horrible affects of the church's attitude concerning gay people, then complain about individual Mormons...that's way too broad a brush. For the same reason I take people to task when they decide to make statements about how all Muslims are evil.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: October 10, 2011 11:09PM

Whether a person is nice or not has nothing to do with whether they are cult members.

I think that this is just the beginning of the pity backlash that the nation is going to feel for Romney and Mormons in general. Mormon leadership plays the persecution card very well, and their media campaign will reflect this.

Even offshoot groups like more media savvy polygamists will probably benefit from this as well.

Posted by: meagainat40 ( )
Date: October 10, 2011 11:22PM

I have to say that the Mormons outside of Utah(morridor) always come off as hard working, super nice people. I was a member for 10 years on the East coast and in Texas and unless you attended church with them they came off as fantastic people. The leaders constantly pushed the idea that everyone must work to show others that we were the nicest people on earth! You only saw the real truth at Fast and Testimony meeting when the bragging sessions began. "I work as CEO of BLAh BLAh and everyone loves me because I don't drink...I am the best worker that they have and they love my greatness. GAG!!! My husband and I could hardly stand it. I spent most of my time in the hallway with my little ones....fussy or happy I was out there :)

Posted by: Tedious ( )
Date: October 11, 2011 12:11AM

if we're talking Huffington Post, the common "Mormons are the most wonderful people I ever met" are invariably followed by a few comments along the lines of

"I was one for years and my life started the day I sent in my resignation"

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 11, 2011 12:16AM

Mormons, in my experience, are like everyone else. There are good, decent, hard working people, and a few "bad apples" ! :-)
Being a Mormon isn't the criteria that determines what kind of a person someone is, in my experience, anyhow.

Posted by: Quoth the Raven "Nevermo" ( )
Date: October 11, 2011 01:23AM

I have a friend who objects to my mormon bashing. She know one mormon woman who sounds like she is NOM and who works outside the house.

I told her that everything I learned about mormons I learned FROM mormons. But she thinks I am just be judgemental. She knows nothing about the church history, BOA, all the bullshit.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.