Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bornagainintheusa ( )
Date: September 23, 2010 10:52AM

My DIL made a comment that she believes in eternal marriage & having her children sealed to her for not just time or till death do us part,
but for all eternity.

She said that her religion is different from other religions because other religions only believe in marriage till death do us part.

What would be a good response to her statement?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: September 23, 2010 10:57AM

"But EVERYONE believe that they'll be with their loved ones for eternity. That's true in any church." Then she'll have to get into the complicated "Yes, but we have the AUTHORITY to make it permanent" crapola and you can ask her to prove her authority is better than anyone elses. When she resorts to talking about her feelings, you can say "Yeah, but everyone feels that way about their religion...if strong feelings are an indication of truth, we should all be Muslim because I don't see any Mormons who feel so strongly about their beliefs they are willing to blow themselves up for it." Good luck.

Date: September 23, 2010 11:54AM

CA girl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "But EVERYONE believe that they'll be with their
> loved ones for eternity. That's true in any
> church."

That's true.
I forgot about that part.
I know a few things, but then my mind goes blank & I can't think.

Thanks.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: September 23, 2010 01:01PM

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 23, 2010 01:07PM

the subject of life with family after death. I find a lot of folks, not just LDS folks, make statements that are not based on facts.

It's probably one of the most common beliefs of religions throughout the history of humanity, the idea that we keep our relationships.
She would most likely find it almost impossible to find two religions that don't believe that the family continues in some form, after death.

Date: September 23, 2010 01:18PM

That's true & a good thing to do,
study what other religions believe on the subject.

"She would most likely find it almost impossible to find two religions that don't believe that the family continues in some form, after death."

I think her response or a Mormon's response would be:
"yeah, but our children are SEALED to us. Yours are not."

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: September 23, 2010 01:11PM

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: September 23, 2010 07:11PM

It would only count if Elohim signed it Himself -- otherwise it's simply not a legally binding contract.

Posted by: Ex Aedibus ( )
Date: September 23, 2010 01:19PM

Here's something for her to ponder. If she believes that she'll become a goddess and her husband a god, no doubt she'll be very busy having and caring for all those spirit children while her husband is very busy running his own world. If her kids make it to the Celestial Kingdom(TM), they'll be busy creating their own worlds and populating their own spirit worlds. When will they even have time to see each other?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2010 01:27PM by Ex Aedibus.

Date: September 23, 2010 01:26PM

OMG!
I never thought of that!
True!

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: September 23, 2010 03:39PM

..."They are neither married nor given in marriage," maybe he meant marriage is irrelevant in heaven, that marriage is just an earthly institution to keep imperfect humans in line. Perhaps marriage serves its purpose here but it's irrelevant in heaven. Maybe who's with whom and who belongs to whom just doesn't matter there. Has she considered that possibility? No, of course not, because Mormonism has her scared.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2010 04:06PM by Stray Mutt.

Posted by: cam ( )
Date: September 23, 2010 03:57PM

I don't believe in heaven, but if I did, I have these questions.
How would my kids stop being my kids? If your kids are BIC then
they are your kids in the CK. But my kids, not BIC are magically not my children anymore??? I gave birth to them and let me tell you, there's no unringing that bell. (there have been moments.)
Here's my other thought. If you're BIC you are sealed to your parents. Then you get married and you're sealed to your spouse and your children. Who are sealed to their spouses, and children. This goes up and down the generational ladder for, well, ever. Everybody ends up sealed to everybody else, especially when you factor in celestial polygamy. Doesn't all of this inter-relational sealing render sealing as unnecessary? It all feels rather creepy and incestuous to me. (Especially when I think about my MIL. I don't even want to live in the same state with her.)

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: September 23, 2010 04:06PM

Beneath the surface of wanting to be sealed to your loved ones is fear -- maybe two kinds of it. First is the fear manufactured by Mormonism, but second is the fear your loved ones might not want to spend eternity with you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2010 04:07PM by Stray Mutt.

Posted by: brett ( )
Date: September 23, 2010 05:56PM

Remind her that eternal marriage for Mormons means that her husband will have many other wives in addition to her. Is she Ok with that?

As already stated, many other religions believe that loved ones will be together after death. Mormons are the only ones that believe in polygamy after death. That's the real difference.

Posted by: DN ( )
Date: September 23, 2010 06:49PM

My uber TBM father told me that since my husband and I are not sealed in the temple, and our kids are not sealed to us, that in the CK our kids will then belong to him. I laughed in his face.

Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: September 23, 2010 07:18PM

How does he figure? If your kids are not sealed to you and your spouse, they won't be with you in the mythical CK. Ok. But if they are not sealed to your father, then why would he assume they'd belong to HIM in the CK?

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: September 23, 2010 07:50PM

I can't believe he said that. I'm glad you laughed in his face. Next time, tell him you fed the kids coffee so they wouldn't be stuck with him in the CK. None of those crazy coffee drinkers there.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: September 23, 2010 07:38PM

Ask her to look into the question of 'Do women get their own planet too"?

Posted by: Ihidmyself ( )
Date: September 23, 2010 08:06PM

ones from each other for eternity based on nothing more than a difference in belief. Your god sounds evil to me.

Posted by: martinf ( )
Date: September 23, 2010 08:36PM

Mmm. I think I can safely say that not going to the CK sounds like heaven to me!

Date: September 24, 2010 11:08AM

I just want to thank you all for taking the time to participate in this discussion.
Your comments really help me.
And yes, I could research & look these things up on my own,
which I do,
but sometimes I just need help thinking & to hear what others comments are.

And you make good points that I hadn't thought of.

My DIL's comment wasn't made directly to me,
she made it on her facebook,
so I didn't have to respond to it,
which I didn't
I don't want to argue or make her defensive.

Your comments & disscussion help me because I will be dealing with this situation for a long time since all 3 of my children & 2 of their spouses are Mormon.

So, again, I do thank you for your comments.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.