Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lost ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 12:06AM

http://lds.org/library/display/0,4945,538-1-4830-1,00.html

This talk is really disturbing on so many levels.

Having it directed toward Youth is even more disturbing.

"Doing things in a virtual game world is the same as doing them in real life" Unflipping real.

I suppose now we can't read fairy tales or watch movies because whatever happens in them means we agree with it.

Does the word FAKE mean anything to this idiot?

Its all about control in the mormon church.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 12:46AM

what does that mean? (from his view)

Posted by: zulu1 ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 01:11AM

This person is simply arrogant-to the point of being pathological (like J. Smith I should add). The section 'rising generation' illustrates someone who is ignorant, completely out of touch with the realities facing young adults, and, I might add an arrogant self-centered person who seems incapable of empathy, critical thought or rational discourse. What fun for an authoritarian-based culture! Hope the majority of the young men and women continue to leave!

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 12:41PM

Posted by: dthenonreligious ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 02:38AM

I am way to sober to try and accomplish reading his drivel. I shut down any time scripture passages are citied.

Posted by: Anon X ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 03:35AM

Why can't these boys come up with their own "profound" things? Why must they constantly quote dead boys over and over and over??????

Gads, it's exhausting.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 03:55AM

Okay, he is objecting to people who take their laptop on their honey moon and between
“knowing” their spouse, they are gaming on line. (True!)

I hated it when I went to my DDs house and my SIL could not and would not come out and visit with me. I had traveled over 1200 miles to be there and while DD was out with her siblings, SIL completely ignored me and his kids downstairs in the living/kitchen. I helped by catching up on the laundry and feeding my self and the kids. He never even came out for food! He refused to ever converse with me. I guess raising my BIC DD wasn’t enough for him; I wasn’t BIC, I was a convert!

He spent his time gaming instead of getting a job after he sold his house. (Used the house sale money to live on) He refused to visit with anyone outside his own extended family and when not at work, he gamed.

The article is vague about how our bodies are being used by Satan. It sites the examples of people using their gaming buddies as virtual friends while completely ignoring people they are married to living in the same house as themselves. At which point, people are room mates and not in an interactive marriage.

Then he shows us the proper things one should use virtual reality for: designing Temple living rooms!!!! OMG they are just as dull in virtual reality as they are in real life! There are pictures if you scroll down. The Denmark temple has some nice looking inlaid chair backs, but beige, beige, beige!
God how I hate beige walls, carpets, curtains and etc!!!!!
Beige is so over used it makes me think of beige barf!

I can understand how relationships IRL crumple by way of gaming. Wouldn’t it be interesting if two people while logged on to the same game site virtually fell in love, decided to meet and found out they were already married?????

Then he quotes this barfy comment by Maxwell (who was part of the CIA Mkultra –look it up)
‘“I remember Elder Maxwell making a statement that greatly impressed me. He said, “The youth of this generation have a greater capacity for obedience than any previous generation.”’

So gaming interferes with the brainwashing of the youth?

“Church --emphasize that the young men and women of this generation have been reserved---if young people hear this description--t becomes overused and trite---“
Ya think? They have been saying that about EVERY generation!

The article concludes with a lot of often repeated phrases about being aware of Satan and the evil of the world and be good people. It never clearly defines what the ‘evil’ of computer time spent really is. Just some vague references to a few people spending time gaming instead of interacting with their families, eating, working (yard work?), enjoying nature?

Does not come out and say do not do gaming! Get out there and do your VT/HT, Clean the toilets! Do genealogy! Go to church! Go to church! Go to church! To all of your meetings! Even extra meetings!!!! Go! Go! Go! You must be brain washed into thinking meetings are a productive activity! At least you won’t be making friends if you’re in meetings! You won’t have a life of your own if you’re in meetings and listening to your proper brain washing!

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 04:51AM

Church is gaming.

Church is doing things in a virtual world where you are trying to interact with fictional creatures.

Church doesn't like the competition, that's all.

Posted by: Adult of god on another computer ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 11:42AM

And as such it is a dreadful waste of one's limited hours of life.

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 05:25AM

Heh I dont know weather they would like the SecondLife Rreplica of the temple and lots of other stuff they have set up for the Mormon Church.

Theres even vurtual church dances with modesty rules.

I thought they would be all over this! Another way for singles to meet and to get the desabled population that cant go to church any other way I mean they have a vidio at the temple not even real people so why not church in a vurtual world?

I tell you why they would rather have people like me sitting at home listening to the same audio tape for the 100th time alone and beggng to go to a place wehre i'll be given a little chair in the corner and vurtualy ignored exept by people that just wnt browny points! They want us to suffer so much we see church as a relese a good thing. Well that wont wash with me.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 06:26AM

My DCW got so addicted to online genealogy indexing that she ignored her kids! And that's saying a lot, I can see her ignoring her apostate husband, but she's mad in love with her kids. And yet, still the indexing, all day and night, like she was seeking some kind of release or redemption by the act of indexing alone.

Thankfully, she's backed off somewhat lately, and doing more with the family. Lost some weight too, more active in general.

But the churchies told her to index, so index she did! And no doubt will continue to do so.

Family, it's about time...

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 11:49AM

when I talked to him about how "devoted" my TBM daughter is. When in Utah, she is forever at some meeting, some fireside, some FHE, deaddunking at the temple at least once a week. She was very anti not that long ago--more anti than I or my son, reads her scriptures 1-1/2 hours a day and journals about it--and also reads one conference talk a day.

My therapist put it this way--every time a little truth seeps into her virtual reality helmet, she has to get another dose.

Posted by: sistermary ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 12:31PM

We can see that one of the biggest problems with the Big 15 is that they are so old and out of touch. It would be nice to be able to think that since they are putting some younger guys into the club, maybe things would change a little and there would be some acknowledgment of reality and some programs geared toward helping the sheeple with real life problems.

But Bednar seems to be worse than some of the geezers 30 years older than him. He'll be a Packer when he's 80. There is no hope for change.

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 04:05PM

He will be worse than Packer. He has more perceived credibility than Packer and he is more tactful, but just as rigid and judgmental. A mormon Cardinal Ratzinger (Pope Benedict). A cross between Packer and Neil Maxwell.

Seriously, if you put a rock up his ass today you would have a diamond by Christmas.

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 12:40PM

video games. The results have stated that while these games don't make people more violent, there might be a correlation to being desensitized to seeing violence.

My sixteen-year-old son plays Mindcraft, Bioshock, Uncharted, among others (no WoW, though, he never got into it), and he's one of the nicest and sensitive boys I know. He's polite and courteous to friends, neighbors, our dog, and especially me. So I'm not sure about the "correlation to being desensitized to violence" since I'm seeing different behavior in my house.

Play away.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 03:04PM

You know, it's the old "if you lust after a woman you have committed adultery in your heart" and thus you are guilty as if you had committed it in the flesh...too bad he won't see it if I flip him off in my mind.

Posted by: Drew90 ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 03:47PM

I saw that on some tbm's facebook. He commented saying that instead of listening to an ipod on the bus, take the earphones out and talk to somebody new and preach the gospel. I don't want to be bothered while riding the bus. I wouldn't want somebody to annoy me as I'm relaxing before going to work.

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 04:29PM

Does it matter if the characters were represented as human or not? Does killing mutants, or aliens, or zombies count? Are we guilty of murder or adultery when we read about it in the BoM or Bible?

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 04:29PM

Video games may be a waste of time or cause problems, but Jeezus David.

This reminds me of a bizarre meeting at YBU. A young lady, who was a guest speaker of the Relief Society Presidency, said we should not watch any movie that potrays anything we should not be doing in real life. I quickly divined that this would exclude my innocent Jeeves & Wooster DVD's due to frequent alchohol and tea consumption.

I think the kids will also realize that application of Bednar's principle is equally nuts. The whole reason for video games is to imagine and do things we can't, or maybe shouldn't in real life.

These guys must get a bunch of mail from nervous mothers and turn it into a sermon.

Posted by: Lost ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 07:11PM

How the heck are you supposed to know what's in a movie before you watch it? Talk about impossible standards...

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 04:32PM

First: Blurr any lines between "Doctrine" and culture.
Then, between official/prophetic and 'speaking as a man'.

Once you've done those, All is Downhill!

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 05:51PM

well isnt LDS Inc so very selective about what fantasies they see fit for members to indulge in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ1uIgbI2QY

if you were already disturbed enough by Bednars pious attitude

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOJcunaFE38

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 05:58PM

So...if you have murdered in the video game, you need to confess?

Is this following the lusted-in-your-heart instruction by Christ that says lusting is the same as adultery?

Anagrammy

Posted by: ? ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 06:21PM

I didn't read the speech.
But this discussion got me thinking about all the Arab young men who joined in the uprisings this year in their countries, which eventually led to their freedom. I remember watching news coverage of regular young men who just walked onto the rebel front and didn't have any military training at all. How many of them learned the rudimentary art of shooting to kill from video games? Was that a bad thing? Is that why the uprisings worked this time when they have failed so miserably before? Just something to think about...

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 07:34PM

I've read the book of Mo. Wondering now if i will someday have the urge to chop off someones arms. so far NOT!

Posted by: mormonimposter ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 07:45PM

I bet shooting games probably did help a lot of them. I know that when I was little, I used to play those arcade car racing games all the time. Then the first time I drove a real car, my dad (who never has anything good to say about anything) was speechless...he actually told me I did a good job. So I have no doubt that the same could happen for shooting guns.

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 09:27PM

The military thinks shooting games are awesome recruiting tools.

Posted by: vasalissasdoll ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 09:33PM

There's also an increasing amount of evidence that they can help returning soldiers deal with PTSD.

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 07:05PM

He got fed really well when he visited our stake. Life must be good at the top. anyway, he just wants people in the pews paying that tithing and away from the virtual world of apostates and disturbing church history.

Posted by: sophia ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 01:08AM

He needs a dose of reality. He is so utterly clueless as to the lives of real people that he wouldn't know reality if it bit him in the face.

The real world is where people work and take care of their families and associate with their friends (regular and virtual), and where nobody rolls out the red carpet for them and tells them how wonderful and god-like they are, and how inspired they are, and nobody stands up when they enter the room or waves white hankies at them.

He is, as someone said above, a pompous ass!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.