Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 09:17AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 09:35AM

What a relief. Makes me glad to not be Islamic, Hasidic Jewish nor Amish when it comes to stuff like that.

Posted by: FreeRose ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 10:10AM

we can't have the ladies flaunting themselves, lest one of the men should be tempted!

Posted by: SilkRose (not logged in) ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 02:32PM

Okay, so first of all, the author did not do their research about the Hasidic community. Since when do Jewish people attend "Mosques"? They go to SYNAGOGUES.

Also, in the Amish community, there is MUCH more female influence. The only time the sexes are separeted is for religious services (well depedning on the old order/new order ordnung).

My husband's maternal side are Amish. I can assure you, at least in their community, it is pretty matriarchal on the inside. As his grandmother is fond of saying "Men are the head of the household, but We are the neck that turns the head". Or "men may wear the pants in the family, but I tell him what size, what color, and when to put them on".

As for the actual topic...I have zero issue with a religious community choosing to have a bus that separetes the sexes, as long as THEY privately support it. NOT the tax payers. This is a public bus line, supported by the city tax payers.

My fundie baptist upbrinigng had the same stupid sh*t. We were told to sit separately from men and boys older then 12. We were routinely preached at about following our husbands, fathers, brothers.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 02:39PM

Fundie Baptist...can you explain. I just know So. Baptists. Those sayings you posted about his grandmother are hilarious. Love them.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 03:08PM

Posted by: silverlightx ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 03:16PM

In the author's defense, it seems to be only an accidental implication that Hasidic Jews go to mosques. I thought it was intended only as an example of a religious tradition that separates the sexes, and not to specifically refer to the Hasidic Jews. Leaving out the word "Muslim" in that context was very sloppy, but I will not present any theories as to why it was left out.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 12:57PM

ya got a little confused there young lady!!

For men and women in ultra-conservative religious traditions, keeping the sexes separate is still fairly routine. Women often sit behind men or a barrier in mosques. The Amish also require different seating areas in worship services. And Hasidic Jews similarly require men to sit or walk in front of women since even seeing them would violate purity.

the article never said that Hasidics attend a Mosque...
just sayin.... nice rant though!! :)

Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/10/21/a-new-york-city-bus-gives-women-the-back-seat/#ixzz1bcndnxAc

Posted by: kestrafinn (not logged in) ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 04:49PM

How did you get that from the paragraph? It gives examples from several religions and says nothing about Jews going to mosques.

Posted by: SilkRose (not logged in) ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 02:44PM

I grew up Independent Fundamental Baptist, and closely associated with the Quiverfull Movement. Think TLC's "The Duggers, 19 kids and counting".

I was forced to wear long skirts, elbow length shirts, no dating (only courting), no cutting my hair, education was discouraged. WOmen ONLY stayed at home, no working. No rock music, no dancing, no TV, no makeup, no limiting your children by ANY method including natural family planning. etc.

They are EXTREMELY legalistic. The church is god...everything the church tells you, is what you do.

I just made a new posting about the "stay at home daughters" movement. Now, we were not apart of this, but they are a very close spin off of the Quiverfull movement.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 02:47PM

I agree with Mayor Bloomberg. If you want to operate a bus in that manner, it had better be a privately rented bus.

I knew about that bus service back when I was living in Brooklyn in the '80's. I assumed it was private. I heard that a curtain on the bus separated the sexes.

I lived next to an ultra-Orthodox (possibly Hasidic) neighborhood, and on the whole I considered them to be good neighbors. We tolerated them, and they tolerated us. Their community was quite safe. Once I was discussing a matter of community interest with an ultra-Orthodox man. I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt. He raked his eyes up and down me. I found it to be more interesting and amusing than obnoxious. He was the only ultra-Orthodox man who was ever indiscreet around me. Most of them appeared to take little interest in the gentile women.

I used to ride the subway each day with the ultra-Orthodox men. Evidently some of them didn't have a problem riding with women. Many of them got off in Manhattan's diamond district. I used to hear tales of how the men would carry valuable diamonds in their coat pockets. I used to wonder if there was a special store that sold them their wool coats (which invariably appear to be two sizes too big!)

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 03:10PM

Both orthodox Judaism and fundamentalist Islam have all these "purity" issues. Mormons got problems, but that isn't one of them, even if I'd probably rather be a Muslim than a Mormon. At least Muslims eat good food. (Could never get into Ramadan, though. I've been through it once, and it's not for the faint of heart, especially when it falls in the summer months.)

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 04:24PM

I thought they don't eat pork. That means no bacon! Ever. That alone is a reason to reject the religion. :-)

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 06:23PM

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 05:10PM

They cannot segregate males and females on a public bus. Thank that woman for reporting it!! They ought to be glad it wasn't me on that bus!!!!

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 05:33PM

Riding in the back of the bus is less traumatic than wearing a veil and a burka (temple swag) and bowing your head and saying "I will obey"

Best way to piss off a mormon feminist is to tell them to bow their head and say "I will obey" haha

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 06:35PM

Who wants to ride at the front of the bus? The back of the bus is still part of the bus. A bus can't be a bus without the back bit, so what is the big deal? And what kind of woman wants to sit with men? A woman who wants to be a man, that's who! Pretty soon that kind of woman will be demanding the use of urinals and the need for prostate exams!!! Bus seat chastity is ordained of God and my womanly bottom will not touch the same industrial upholstery as some strange man's!

;-)

Posted by: catwallada ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 09:25AM

That may be the single greatest thing I have ever read. Well done!

Posted by: lalybrook ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 06:45PM

If this happened to a black person we would have heard about it from one end of the news media to the next but because it's a womans issue it gets no loud thunderous coverage.
It's a sad statement toward womens rights.
The main thing I dislike about these types of religions is their sexist opinions toward women.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 06:52PM

I heard that there is a religious sect in the USA where in their most sacred temple ceremonies the sexes are separated with women on the left and men on the right.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 11:10AM

Date: October 22, 2011 08:22PM

WTF does this mean, anyway ? ..."while operated by a franchised owner, the bus has a public route, and the Department of Transportation says that the bus was designed for public use"

Was this a public city bus or not ?
And who is the owner of the bus ?
And who is it that pays the wages of the bus driver ?

If it is a private bus then the company can do as they wish until they get sued.
If it is a city bus then they are not allowed to get away with this and should be brought to justice immediately.

Date: October 23, 2011 01:01PM

it is a private enterprise that runs under the direction and control of Transit Authorities. it is a "joinT venture"! we have what are known as Jitneys here....they run routes that the Authority does nnot want to run but it still has jurisdiction over the routes!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2011 01:01PM by bignevermo.

Date: October 23, 2011 03:33PM

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 06:53PM

If they want to discriminate against people ILLEGALLY they had better buy their own bus and hire their own driver and make it completely private.
NO EXCUSE for this crap in the 21st century in USA.

Date: October 23, 2011 07:12PM

Date: October 23, 2011 08:01PM

The article said it was a public route.

Date: October 23, 2011 08:42PM

Was this a public city bus or not ?
no! it is a private bus.
And who is the owner of the bus ?
a private enterprise.
And who is it that pays the wages of the bus driver
a private enterprise!

If it is a private bus then the company can do as they wish until they get sued.
no they cant...they are regulated
If it is a city bus then they are not allowed to get away with this and should be brought to justice immediately.

well that is what the article is about!
any more questions that i can answer?
and yes this is not in accordance with the civil rights for women.

Date: October 23, 2011 09:03PM

bignevermo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Was this a public city bus or not ?
> no! it is a private bus.
> And who is the owner of the bus ?
> a private enterprise.
> And who is it that pays the wages of the bus
> driver
> a private enterprise!
>
> If it is a private bus then the company can do as
> they wish until they get sued.
> no they cant...they are regulated
> If it is a city bus then they are not allowed to
> get away with this and should be brought to
> justice immediately.
>
>
> well that is what the article is about!
> any more questions that i can answer?
> and yes this is not in accordance with the civil
> rights for women.

The article says nothing about the ownership of the bus.
Nor does the article say anything about it being a private bus or a public bus.
And the article says nothing about who is the driver's employer.

Perhaps you read a different article or something.
Please show me on what you are basing your claims.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2011 09:07PM by Dave the Atheist.

Date: October 24, 2011 09:02AM

from the article:

"It would be one thing if this were strictly a private bus operating for the Hasidic community. But that is not the case—while operated by a franchised owner, the bus has a public route, and the Department of Transportation says that the bus was designed for public use."

franchised owner is the operative phrase here. that means that the driver is paid by the "franchise owner" as is the maintenance of said vehicles and that it is a Public use operation.... it is regulated private enterprise.

Posted by: a non believer ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 09:27PM

Replace the driver with some employees who were just fired from Hertz.

Keep the women in the back of the bus. Everybody gets to wait when the driver stops to pray.

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,325011

Religions create nothing but problems.

Date: October 23, 2011 06:50PM

This discrimination is ILLEGAL in this country.
If these idiots want to live in the country, they need to abide by OUR laws.

Date: October 23, 2011 08:46PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.