Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: blacksheep ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 11:44PM

wow

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Moosefan ( )
Date: October 22, 2011 11:51PM

This is pure stupidity at its finest. The men doing the dance were doing it to show support for the players. What the hell?!

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 01:03AM

The excuse was that they were blocking an exit, but that seems like an extreme way of dealing with a minor problem.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 08:41AM

...act swiftly to contain situations. Sometimes they act too swiftly to determine whether they actually have a "situation."

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 12:43AM

I also witnessed its use on the street.

In short, not fun.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2011 12:57AM by steve benson.

Date: October 23, 2011 01:05AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2011 01:09AM by steve benson.

Posted by: elderborracho ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 01:09AM

I remember a time I used it at a wedding reception when an all out riot erupted. I think I emptied my whole can. Plus, it was one of the big cans with the handle.

Date: October 23, 2011 01:13AM

Its use was quite traumatic and caused a break-out stampede of sorts. But from my vantage point posted up in the police line decked out in riot gear, it ended the rioting. In that particular situation, I regarded its use as justified and wrote a supplemental report to that effect.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2011 01:22AM by steve benson.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 01:02AM

Not fun at all

Posted by: possiblypagan ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 01:19AM

Ah yes, the good ol' rival game. Was attending the game back in 1980, and smelled a smell like ONIONS. We though it was a joke, as Union HS was of course called Onion by Uintah. Well, it turned out to be the mosquito abatement and their truck along the canal behind the visitor's bleachers.

Uintah HS class of '82

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 01:20AM

I was hanging out at a club back in the Springs for Goth night; I was sitting with my ex-husband and friends at a table when I started to notice people coughing all around me. Next thing I knew, I was coughing, choking, having an asthma attack, and ready to vomit. Ex-H and friends gather me up and leave the club.

Still no idea what happened to this day and NEVER had heartburn issues till after this incident. Pepper spray can hurt innocent people and it sounds the fuzz took a page from the '02 CSPD pepper spraying some protesters and it affecting uninvolved people in Palmer Park. Innocent children were affected by this. Pepper spray should not be used lightly, ok?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 01:35AM

Also, tazing has been shown to have a sometimes fatal outcome.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2011 01:36AM by guynoirprivateeye.

Date: October 23, 2011 01:55AM

I had some meth addict pull a knife on my partner and I. He had been awake for a week and was coming down. We had him at gun point for about an hour. He refused to put down the knife and we were ready to pull the trigger. We hit him with the taser and it was all over. The only problem was he couldn't let go of the knife because he was getting zapped so hard. I had to go and take it out of his hand. Days later he was so grateful we didn't kill him. He couldn't thank us enough.

Date: October 23, 2011 02:06AM

Aches like hell and the full 5 seconds of its delivery was enough for me. It completely immobilizes your muscles and totally incapacitates you. When I was tazed, I was positioned with my back to a taze-delivering fellow officer who popped me with it from several feet away. To keep me from falling down when struck, there was an officer on either side of me, holding me up so that I didn't fall to the ground and get injured by the fall.

The idea of volunteering to be tazed was in order to be able to testify in court, should the occasion arise, that a police officer could confirm through personal experience that they know how it feels to be tazed.

So far, however, the vast majority of lawsuits brought against the Scottsdale, AZ-based Taser International manufacturer have not prevailed in court.

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2011 01:41AM by steve benson.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 02:02AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv3yL1yNSUQ

(this might be a double post?)

Posted by: Anon10 ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 10:33PM

lil' dance. They must remember that they are not in the islands anymore. In Tonga, for instance, this type of cultural spontaneity may have been permitted. In America, we are a little more structured. The boyz can't just waltz onto the field and do their dancin' w/o permission. It didn't fly with the cops, and they should have realized this. Poly's are used to being told "no." Often times, because they think their bad asses, they run over people.

Posted by: Quoth the Raven "Nevermo" ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 02:09AM

I am having trouble seeing the justification in using pepper spray based on this video.

Date: October 23, 2011 02:10AM

Date: October 23, 2011 03:48PM

made National news....

no surprise there folks

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 06:03PM

see, the cops thought the Tongans were doing the Temple Hokie Pokie in public. And you know what the penalty for that is.

The cops moved in to slash the Tongans throats ear-to-ear, rip out their hearts and vitals so they could be fed to the birds, and cut them asunder so their bowels could rush out.

Ya, see, its really the Tongans fault. They should have been holding up large disclaimer signs that said, "This is not the Mormon Temple Ceremony" so the cops wouldn't get confused.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 01:29AM

Tazers and pepper spray have made the police lazy. Also, what police officers get paid you aren't going to get the best people. I know a police officer who gave up the badge and became a registered nurse. He makes more money doing that. All of the people I have personally known who have worked in law enforcement have left it. Low pay, corrupt politics, and the job becoming increasingly more dangerous have all been reasons why these people left it. One is now and electrician. One is a nurse. One runs his own business.

Date: October 24, 2011 01:36AM

They are also more effective than pepper spray, which has been known not to work on certain people high on drugs.

Speaking as a former police officer, I was glad to have my taser gun on me.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2011 02:10AM by steve benson.

Posted by: nickerickson ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 06:42AM

Everyone is missing the point here. THEY WERE DANCING in MORmONDUMB. I mean, what were they thinking. And it most likely wasn't TSCC approved music. What the F were they thinking? Thank the holy f-n god and JC himself that they acted so swiftly before the demonic dancing could spread.

Just saying...... (very sarcastically.......)

The police were idiots in this. I respect their job they have to do, but to act the way they did shows their intolerance and lack of training in dealing with this situation. They will have to end up paying for this mistake, which they should. And the community suffers as a whole because whatever settlement is reached, if it goes to court, will be coming out of their taxed dollars.

Date: October 24, 2011 01:15PM

Posted by: Quoth the Raven "Nevermo" ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 07:21AM

There was no action by the men to warrent being sprayed. I think the white officers felt threatened by men of color chanting loudly and decided to show them who was boss. The men did not touch the officers at all.

Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 08:32AM

Oh great, another post of mine will go down the drain because the pepper spray news was already posted. I did a search on RfM to make sure it wasn't posted yet and nothing came up. Hmmm, maybe the search function needs some tweaking?

Date: October 24, 2011 11:30AM

IF they were blocking an exit (the only one?), the appropriate action would have been to insist that they take it somewhere else. there should have been communication on this beforehand.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.