Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Quoth the Raven "Nevermo" ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 01:40AM

She must push all their uptight buttons. And the song Born this Way certainly promotes the wrong thinking. I remember when the religious right got all agitato when Madonna had videos with religious images in them. I am sure Madonna caused many to become Satanists. And to sacrifice kittens. Well, kill more kittens since they were undoubtedly masturbating and killing kittens that way, too.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 01:44AM

There is no official list of banned music. Just personal opinions.

Posted by: mushinja ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 09:22AM

SuzieQ - When I was a youth, and later a student at BYU, we often had firesides where we were warned of the evils of rock music, and specific artists were named by name.

Date: October 28, 2011 04:08PM

mushinja Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> SuzieQ - When I was a youth, and later a student
> at BYU, we often had firesides where we were
> warned of the evils of rock music, and specific
> artists were named by name.

Oh really? I guess I didn't run across that.
I know some of the local members had their lists of "evil" music, and some didn't allow it, but we had a son that was a guitarist and played a lot of the current music of the 60's to 70's and on... so in our house, we didn't know of any "doctrine" about such things! :-)

I joined before "rock" music was much of a big deal anyhow. When we were at BYU in the early 60's they did ban electrified bands though, so they just went out to Geneva.. someplace, but this was the age of the Folk Singers anyhow...

Posted by: quebec ( )
Date: October 28, 2011 04:23PM

Plus there are all those e-mails sent by members to not go see a certain film, etc. I remember when The Golden Compass came out a couple of my mo friends sent me one of those kind of e-mails that travel in all the lists of mos. I got so fed up to be told what I should see or not...I didn't listen since I thought I was old enough to make my own decision.

(That kind and the one about all that moked god... ex. John Lennon and such, died because of what they said about god with the mention of For God Shall Not Be Mocked... Man, I thought their vision of god was one of a very petty one...)

Posted by: Music Appreciation ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 01:47AM

Date: October 23, 2011 02:04AM

I am sure when you are made the God of Culture, you can pick out the approved list of music and arrest all those who dare to listen to the banned music.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 09:36AM

I am not a great lady gaga fan (I thought 'poker face' wasn't too bad)

but a big +1 to QtR"N"

Date: October 23, 2011 10:28AM

EssexExMo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> but a big +1 to QtR"N"

Thanks! I believe that every generation needs their music and look so that when they get old and grey they can hear the sounds of their youth and think...I remember when....

Posted by: quebec ( )
Date: October 28, 2011 05:50PM

"Thanks! I believe that every generation needs their music and look so that when they get old and grey they can hear the sounds of their youth and think...I remember when...."

Great observation, because it's so true, that's how I am with the music of the 80's

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: October 28, 2011 05:31PM

I'm not a fan and I don't listen to her music....heard a song or two maybe. One day I stopped to watch the tail end of her HBO special as I scanned the channels.....Lady Gaga is extremely talented....writing, singing, performing, dancing, etc.

Whether one enjoys her music/art or not....you can't dispute her talent and ability to make it work. And if you do....I say...let's see you do it!

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: October 28, 2011 05:35PM

I saw her do some of her stuff "unplugged" on Saturday Night Live. She accompanied herself on piano without any synthesizer electronica. I was impressed. Good voice without autotune, good pianist. Writes her own stuff. Far more naturally talented than Madonna was at the same age.

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 01:55AM

yep...she's goin to hell too. No doubt about it in mormondom.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 01:59AM

Most music snobs as well.

I like Lady Gaga and I love Madonna. They are both intelligent, interesting, and talented artists. People want to hate on them, but they are both laughing to the bank. Most of the haters don't really know anything about them or their musical studies and jump on the fashionable train to dis' them.

Posted by: justanotherprettypiece ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 03:31AM

My family sure criticizes her a lot. I imagine a lot of mormon families don't like her.

Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 10:04AM

I'm sure Weird Al is OK with mormons (hey, he got Donny Osmond to perform in 'White & Nerdy'), but this one may not pass muster:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss_BmTGv43M&feature=related

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 10:07AM

And she recorded a pretty good duet with Tony Bennett. How much more "establishment" is it possible to be? I second itzpapalotl.

Posted by: Greg ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 11:41AM

I coincidentally discovered LG just after my huge AHA moment of realization that the church was in fact Not True. She is personally resposible for helping me get through one of the most trying times of my life. I say that somewhat tongue-in- cheek of course but the truth is that her willingness to do her thimg in spite of prevailing social mores and opinions winspired me to pres
s on

Posted by: Greg ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 11:42AM

So much easier to post from a computer than this phone

Date: October 28, 2011 04:18PM

The strict answer is: NO, but some LDS folks don't care for her as well as other folks,(me included!), so she is not acceptable, and not listened to or watched because of personal opinion and personal preference.

Isn't there some scripture about that?
Yup:
D&C 58: 26 For behold, it is not meet that I should command in all things; for he that is acompelled in all things, the same is a bslothful and not a wise servant; wherefore he receiveth no reward..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2011 04:21PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: October 28, 2011 04:41PM

It's given general guidlines about naughty music and whatnot.

Those guidlines are very much hyped up in Sunday School, Preisthood, Seminary, Institute, Devotionals, Firesides, etc. as being commandments from god. When a prophet speaks....

So, usually you don't see specific artists called out (sometimes you do), but growing up BIC, it's a lot of social pressure and pressure from adults that there's "good music" and "bad music."

Artists like Lady Gaga ALWAYS fall into the "bad music" category. Same happened to Madonna, and Britney Spears, Christina Aquamalaria, etc.

And most of "Rock and/or Roll" falls into the category of "bad music" for not being "uplifting" or some other such nonsense.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: October 28, 2011 05:56PM

I know of a local church leader who loves Lady Gaga.

Posted by: kiribati ( )
Date: October 28, 2011 06:30PM

Listening to the music is one thing, but the music videos--well, some are really graphic. I would not want my kids watching this particular one.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: October 28, 2011 07:01PM

Ziller’s 10 year old son (nevermo) is a huge Gaga Fan – a little monster.

And Ziller must admit that he is a little monster as well.

Anyway, so Son of Ziller is over at his TBM cousin’s house and they are on the interwebs, right?

So Son of Ziller shows Cousin where to dial up some Lady Gaga videos and they get busted watching them by Auntie TBM.

Scandalous!

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: October 28, 2011 06:51PM

I know in our ward (southern ontario) we were told not to listen to boy george because he was a cross-dresser. I liked Karma Chameleon tho, so i didn't care what they said.

I don't know if he was specifically banned from the youth dances tho as i didn't go to too many.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 28, 2011 07:24PM

Robert Zimmerman, aka Bob Dylan is a subversive

Posted by: Convert ( )
Date: October 28, 2011 10:28PM

The best thing about Lady Gaga is all of the freaks on the internet who spend hours pouring over her videos find proof of "illuminate propaganda" part of me thinks she is actually paying this people to post it.

Google it sometime when you are bored "Lady Gaga Illuminati" Enjoy.

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: October 28, 2011 10:39PM

That, to me, is the real test.

I doubt they would allow "Born this Way," but who knows. I know for a fact that The Village People made into a Youth Conference setlist when I was young.

Posted by: Bateman ( )
Date: October 30, 2011 04:45PM

This is what I saw in a YSA Dance:

Just dance? Nope!!!
Poker face? No no!!! (@#$%)
Ughhh, maybe Bad romance? No again!!! (...)
(Don't even think about Born this way or Judas...)

Posted by: Scott.T ( )
Date: October 30, 2011 09:32PM

was OBVIOUSLY owned and run by a Mormon. For their Xmas recital each year there'd be a big Mormon slanted religious Christ themed number to end the whole dance recital with.

Well, the funny thing was the spring recital our last year before moving. Their theme for the whole thing and the big number by their advanced and older dancers was Lady Gaga's "Just Dance." Because of the Mormon overtones of the other recitals and all I just couldn't get my mind around how they chose it for the dance recital theme, yes it's catchy, the title was totally in line with a dance company or recital but then there are all the other lyrics about being drunk to the point of losing your phone, can't find the door, etc. Personally I didn't/don't care, but given the religious overtones of previous recitals it was one of those things that make you go hmmmm?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.