Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 10:04AM

I've had some dizzy spells the past couple of days. The same thing happened about six months ago. When I go horizontal, I get a head rush and the room spins for about ten seconds. It's kind of pleasant, actually, and since I'm in bed, I don't fall and hurt myself. A couple of times in the night, if I wake and roll over, I get the same dizziness. When I get out of bed, I don't get the head rush and the room doesn't spin, but I'm wobbly for a few moments. The rest of the time I'm upright, everything is normal and I feel fine. So, it's like blood rushes to my head then rushes out again. I'll see what I can find online.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 10:11AM

I say this because it's a new symptom for you. I'd get it checked out.

Try sitting up with your feel off the bed for a minute or two before you stand up.

Be cautious about this. I have long experience with dizziness and fainting, but under different circumstances. Blacking out from dizziness/fainting can come without warning if you're not used to the subtle signs. Take care!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2011 10:45AM by summer.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 10:22AM

Are you drinking enough liquids?

I ge that type of rush and dizziness when I turn over in bed--sometimes it is my anxiety. I only have anxiety attacks at night. Sometimes it is my blood sugar.

Date: October 23, 2011 10:30AM

One is an inner ear condition, BPPV. The other, less likely cause, is low blood pressure. I say less likely, because while it might cause dizziness when trying to stand, it hasn't been linked to dizziness when laying down.

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (as explained on the Mayo Clinic site) seems to fit my symptoms almost perfectly.

>>Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is one of the most common causes of vertigo — the sudden sensation that you're spinning or that your head is spinning inside.

>>Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo is characterized by brief episodes of mild to intense dizziness. Symptoms of benign paroxysmal positional vertigo are triggered by specific changes in the position of your head, such as tipping your head up or down, and by lying down, turning over or sitting up in bed. You may also feel out of balance when standing or walking.

>>Although benign paroxysmal positional vertigo can be a bothersome problem, it's rarely serious except when it increases the chance of falls. You can receive effective treatment for benign paroxysmal positional vertigo during a doctor's office visit.<<

And further:

>>Generally, see your doctor if you experience any unexplained dizziness or vertigo that recurs periodically for more than one week. Although it's uncommon for dizziness to signal a serious illness, see your doctor immediately if you experience dizziness or vertigo along with any of the following:

>>A new, different or severe headache
>>A fever of 101 F (38 C) or higher
>>Double vision or loss of vision
>>Hearing loss
>>Trouble speaking
>>Leg or arm weakness
>>Loss of consciousness
>>Falling or difficulty walking
>>Numbness or tingling
>>Chest pain, or rapid or slow heart rate

>>The signs and symptoms listed above may signal a more serious problem, such as stroke or a cardiac condition.<<

I don't have any of the other symptoms, so I'll wait until my regular doctor appointment in a few weeks.

Posted by: sophia ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 11:24AM

I already posted (below) about orthostatic hypotension, but I'll add that in the past I had a different kind of transient dizziness that my doctor said was "benign positional vertigo." I never really believed that, though, because this kind of dizziness occurred suddenly and without any change in position, so there was nothing "positional" about it. Like orthostatic hypotension, it started when I was a teenager, so the doctor said well if it's been going on that long it must not be serious. The dizzy episodes got more frequent and lasted longer as I got older (like maybe 3 times a year instead of once or twice) and they lasted longer (like maybe 30 seconds instead of 10).

FWIW, that type of dizziness completely resolved when I started taking Co-enzyme Q-10, which I began taking for completely unrelated reasons. The first week I took it, I had about 3 very brief dizzy times, and then I've never had one since. That was about 3 or 4 years ago.

Go figure.

BTW, I'm in my 60s.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 02:29PM

Wow, that is fabulous sophia. I never thought a pill like that would help diziness. Mine is an ongoing thing....had tests, went tot he neurologist and they can find nothing....blood flow to the brain is excellent, blood pressure good, no ear problem. So I have lived with it. It is annoying but not dangerous as per falls, etc. I will try what you suggested. Also greenkat, I will lay off the salt more and take Claritin. Thanks guys and gals... some of us like getting new info to try rememdies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2011 02:51PM by honestone.

Posted by: Quoth the Raven "Nevermo" ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 10:30AM

Blood pressure can cause dizzyness, but you should definetely see a doctor. Something like that usually starts for a reason. Have you started any new medication? Do you have allergies? Inner ear problems can cause dizzyness too.

Date: October 23, 2011 10:34AM

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 10:35AM

My daughter had this happen this year while she was in Alaska. She ended up in the ER. Eventually they finally put her on antibiotics and that cleared it up. They think it was either inner ear or sinus infection.

I agree with others--you should see a doctor before you end up having to go to the ER on a weekend or at night. It's a lot cheaper to go to the doctor and a lot more convenient.

Date: October 23, 2011 11:12AM

I'm not a doctor, and you should see one if this persists, but try googling "orthostatic hypotension" to see if the symptoms match what you are experiencing. Orthostatic hypotension means that when you go from a reclining position to a horizontal one, your blood pressure drops briefly. It happens to me all the time and has since I was a teenager. As I understand it, it is basically a function of gravity--blood flows downward when you sit up.

Try tightening your abdominal muscles before you stand or sit up and see if that helps. Or if you forget to do that before you stand up, do it as soon as you feel dizzy. Also, dehydration is a common cause or trigger. Some medications can cause it. If it's transient (resolves quickly), it's probably not a big deal, but you should probably ask your doctor about it.

If you google it, a lot of scary things come up, along with some not-so-scary things, and you should probably distinguish between transient orthostatic hypotension and orthostatic intolerance. Here is a link about transient orthostatic hypotension in healthy teenagers is normal.

http://www.nymc.edu/fhp/centers/syncope/orthostatic_hypotension.htm

I'm guessing it's the same for adults. It has been decades since I mentioned it to a doctor, but when I did they just said to tighten my abdominal muscles before standing up.

Date: October 23, 2011 11:24AM

Orthostatic hypotension accounts for dizziness when going from reclining to standing, but not the other way around, and not for dizziness when changing positions while reclining. BPPV fits my symptoms almost exactly, except no nausea or vomiting.

Date: October 23, 2011 11:40AM

Oops. I read your first post too fast and thought it was the other way around. (But see my additional post above about benign positional vertigo.)

I just read the Wiki article about BPPV, and I'm sure I've never had that. Looks like there are a couple of relatively simple and effective treatments.

Good luck. "Benign" is always a good omen for a diagnosis.
:-)

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 11:27AM

So many things can cause dizziness. The only way to know why you're having dizzy spells is to check with the doctor.

I was doing really well with my health and suddenly I began to get really dizzy. My blood pressure was through the roof. I ended up being on disability for 10 months. I couldn't even move without the room spinning. If I tried to go anywhere in the car, I got terribly car sick.

I underwent every test under the sun and it turned out to be a simple case of having a cold, and the virus got into my ear, which unfortunately can take a long time to clear up.

Posted by: Sandie ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 11:35AM

Yes, I do and have had the same problem you describe since mid-August.

My doctors' first thoughts were that it was caused by a serious nasal infection for which I was placed on two rounds of steroids and antibiotics. This cleared up any infection, but the symptoms didn't go away.

I was told to Google "ear crystals." It appears that I must have a few of them loose in the left ear because that side is where the dizziness appears to be generated from (not the right side).

Before you get out of bed in the morning, sit next to your bed with your legs hanging downward for a good three minutes before you begin moving around.

I have not found the situation to be blood pressure related. Since I drink a glass of water before I go to bed and just about every 2 -3 hours daily, I don't think my problem with the dizziness is related to dehydration.

I keep hoping my ear crystal problem will clear up. I have a follow-up appointment this Wednesday afternoon with my internist. I can do a return and report after I talk with him.

Best wishes! It sux. I know.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 12:39PM

Raises hand...yes, I am now going through the gamut...had an MRI on my brain-normal...went to a balance clinic...did their dizzyness testing in the harness and "fell" every time. Having the inner ear checked tomorrow at the ENT. Had the eyes checked for stability in working together. Drinking more liquids.

The thing is, I don't get dizzy all the time, so I'm keeping a log as to when I do. It's really puzzling and annoying!

Good luck with your search for answers and I am right there with you, Stray Mutt!

Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 12:48PM

the good news is with BPPV, your brain will eventually compensate for the dizziness and disorientation. I wouldn't go for an Epley maneuver, all that moving around is just too much drama. find out on which side it occurs, it's usually in just one ear/side. take the vertigo meds for a few days to tide you over. I discovered for me it was also eye movement or position as I was turning over or laying down. It shifts from top shelf vertigo to lower shelf vertigo. thankfully the episodes are very few and far in between.

I heard practicing basic tai chi will help strengthen core balance.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 12:51PM

When I go horizontal, I get a head rush and the room spins for about ten seconds. It's kind of pleasant, actually, and since I'm in bed, I don't fall and hurt myself
just sayin!!! :)

Posted by: greenkat ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 01:25PM

I have had vertigo off and on since January this year. I am in my late 50's and have been to ENT, regular Internal Medicine doc, Neurologist, and had 2 MRI's, neck scan, heart ultrasound, and everything comes down to BPPV.

It comes and goes, and I actually don't know what sets it off.

But, the treatment that works for me is limiting salt consumption, taking daily Claritin, and taking 6 - 8 meclizine (25 mg. over the counter) a day!

I hope you find what works for you.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 02:51PM

I was dizzy on and off last year and my BP was so high they wanted to put me right in the hospital before my brain blew up. Just knock that off the list and I will feel better :)

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 03:19PM

I had several attacks of vertigo, a few years ago. Sometimes, the spinning was so extreme, that I had to hang onto the furniture. I could still drive to work, though I had to be careful not to turn my head too quickly when I backed up the car. One time, I got it on a vacation, and was able to hide it from everyone. What I'm saying, is that vertigo is manageable.

An attack usually lasts 4 days, for me.

Meclazine helps. This is a mild antihistamine, similar to Dramamine. Best taken at night, because it causes drowsiness.

Be aware of which movements trigger the dizziness. Often, I could roll over in bed one way, but not the other way, turn my head in one direction and not the other. During one attack, I could not bend over or look down suddenly. Once you understand the specific motion, you can avoid it for 4 days.

I think loud noises caused my vertigo. I had been going to concerts and movies during my vacation. The previews in the movie theaters actually make my ears hurt. Now, I use wax earplugs (hidden under my hair), and I haven't had a vertigo attack for several years. Protect your ears!

Be careful when you change altitude, and make sure your ears "pop." Try not to change altitude when you have a cold.

(Disclaimer--I've only told you about my own experience under my own doctor's care, and am not suggesting that you shouldn't see a doctor.)

Good luck, and don't panic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2011 03:20PM by forestpal.

Posted by: apikoros ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 03:20PM

up here in Western Canada, Mutt! If you came back up here and reconnected to "the best two years of your life," the dizziness would go away immediately... I'm speaking under the direct influence of the Holy Ghost, of course!

Date: October 23, 2011 04:42PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.