Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 12:02PM

Even back in the 60's and 70's when David O.McKay was president and I was a devout believer (as a young adult), I still NEVER wanted to convert any of my friends, neighbors or co-workers. And bring someone to church? Yikes! None of my mormon friends wanted to do that either.

I think in their heart of hearts, most members do think their religion is weird and their meetings too noisy and really don't want to expose that to anyone in their social circle.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Strykary ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 12:11PM

I was too embarrassed to invite anyone to church, and two, I didn't feel like making someone else suffer through three hours of boring nonsense.

Posted by: The Motrix ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 11:01PM

My sentiments, exactly! Embarrassing, boring, too weird.

Posted by: scuba ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 12:15PM

I tried a couple of times but it didn't work out.

After they decided not to come to church I realized it was probably for the best. No reason to make them go through the whole hassle of church meetings if they didn't have to.

Posted by: Marcionite ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 12:18PM

No way. I wouldn't wish such misery on my friends.

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 12:51PM

I did ... about 15 years ago. They remain one of our best friends ... and very catholic. The one visit was extremely uncomfortable. I clearly remember the Sunday school lesson was on tithing with a tangent into how we should pay gross over net.

By contrast, a couple of years ago, we attended mass with them. I'm not planning to convert to Catholicism,but I really like the one hour block and the breakfast burritos for sale in the parking lot afterwards.

Catholics 1, Mormons 0.

I'll never invite a friend again.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 01:25PM

I was never "every member a missionary"--but there were 3 people in my life (well 4, but one had died)--who I met at work. One was my now boyfriend. Back in the late 1970s, they all moved away and I was worried about what would happen to them. Yep--I was still a TBM. I sent the missionaries and I took one to church in the Seattle area.

I've told this story before.

I took him to F&T meeting. The second guy up to bear his testimony started to sob and snorted really loud and from then on, my friend and I couldn't stop laughing. We got out of there SO FAST. Every testimony was about "we have nonmormon neighbors and this is what we are doing to fellowship them."

I NEVER did something like that again.

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 01:29PM

Never *wanted* to, but when I was a teenager I did have a girlfriend who INSISTED on coming to see what it was like. I dumped her before it got that serious.

I did have a best male friend who insisted on going to youth nights with me (I think he was worried I was having fun without him), and kept going every Tuesday night until the girl he fancied went inactive.

Never took anybody on Sunday, why would I do that to a friend?

Posted by: ladybug ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 02:11PM

No, but as part of seminary we were challenged to give someone a BOM. I was a freshman and gave one to my high school teacher. I was too embarrassed to hand it to him, so I left it on his desk with a note Heck, I'm still embarrassed by the thought of it now!

Ironically, his son, who was only about 8 at that time, grew up and dated local mormon royalty. He converted and they were married in the temple...

Posted by: Anon. ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 10:20PM

...Even then, it was always at least mildly embarrassing. After we missionaries had built it up as the amazingly spiritual "one true church of Jesus Christ", the reality of an actual Ward Sacrament Meeting was always disappointing: the boring, uninspired talks, the desultory hymn singing, the noisy children, and the general irreverence of the members (especially in comparison with other churches). Yes, I was always quite tense whenever investigators actually accepted our invitation to visit on Sunday morning. I always knew the reality wasn't going to live up to our hype.

Posted by: AnonyMs ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 10:43PM

But a couple of friends loved to go to the Saturday night dances.

The dances were fun in the late 50s early 60s.

K

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 10:58PM

Our clean-up list has "Do extra cleaning before funerals".

Posted by: Hillbilly Heathen ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 10:59PM

...two different times, back in the 70's when I was in my dating prime. I wanted to see if they could feel the spirit of eternal families, celestial marraige, and all the other warm and fuzzies associated with the true church.

They both ended in disaster....

The first girl, I took to a fast and testimony meeting. (Can you imagine your first exposure to the church in one of those, especially in the bible belt appalachians???). She was in open mouth awe the entire time. Afterward, When we got in the car, she gently told me "I think you're a sweet guy, and all, but I could NEVER get involved in a church with a bunch of kooks like the people in there..."

THe next time, I got wise. I took my next squeeze to sacrament meeting the week before christmas. Her first words in the parking lot after church was, "Who the hell is this Joseph Smith yo-yo? I thought church was supposed to be about Jesus, especially at Christmas!!!!".

That about says it all.....

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 12:46AM

I didn't like the girls in one of my wards (several of them were rude to me). So sometimes I would try to get a REAL friend to come along and make it more enjoyable.

One of them almost converted. But didn't.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 01:04AM

Yes, and he laughed his head off, afterwards! He wanted to go to a testimony meeting, so I took him a second time, and we got the giggles--embarrassing! He is still my friend to this day, and he still thinks Mormonism is hilarious.

That was back in junior high school. He used to call it "The Church of The Planet of The Apes." The males have "The Monkeyhood."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2011 01:06AM by forestpal.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 01:05AM

This was in 1966-67, when Primary was after school--on Wednesdays, as I recall. The Butler 8th wardhouse was right across the street from my elementary school.

I don't think I wanted Tammy to be Mormon. Maybe she was already; I don't know. It seems like she didn't know what Primary was, so I think she wasn't, but she lived far enough away that she could have been in a different ward. My family was inactive, and I only went to Primary, and I don't think I understood that it was a religion. I just wanted Tammy to come to Primary with me.

So I wrote her mom a note asking if she could come, with check boxes for yes and no. I added a picture of an apple tree because Tammy lived in a newer neighborhood named Apple Valley--which I thought was fascinating, living on boring old 2985 East. Tammy's mom sent the note back with the "no" box checked.

:-(

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2011 01:16AM by munchybotaz.

Posted by: Cleareyes ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 06:27AM

My now wife invited me to church with her (I'm sure she just love being around me and wanted me to keep her company at church, no other motive involved). This was before I even knew anything about 3 hours of nonsense, with 1-2 hours of it not even with your spouse/gf. Luckily I had my now brother in law to sit with during the last hour, but how awkward if I was invited to go and was then left on my own for two hours.

Years later after converting I still was never comfortable having to go to the other classes by myself. The Mormons are so family oriented, but church meetings are far from that.

Posted by: christieja ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 09:21AM

We were so naive about Mormonism when we first moved to Utah. We let our daughter go a few times with various friends. She loved being with her friends but hated the three-hour-long church session. Whew!!! She's thirteen now but I have two other little girls who are 4 and 2 and after all the bull we have been through because of that religion I will never, ever allow them to attend with a friend. Still hoping we'll be out of Utah in the next couple years :o).

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 10:33AM

I did. A lot.

I was the only mormon in my grade growing up, and the grades above and below me. I thought that God's true church was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I was also really lonely being the only one of my friends living, or even considering certain standards.

I knew it would be weird to them, but only because of their upbringing. To me it wasn't weird.

I really wanted someone to confide in on all my spiritual thoughts and actions. I actually got my wish. Poor guy.

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 10:49AM

Never!!

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 03:17PM

I did. I was the only one in my age group.....and you want to have some buddies in life right?

Must have been a psychological thing where you want to be connected to others so badly that you will do stupid stuff like light your farts on fire (scouts, campouts) get drunk and barf on the floor (college), dare each other to eat too much food....etc, etc... (think of the movie jackass). That was my friends. haha http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aczrDOa5Asc&feature=related

Anyhoooo....none of my friends wanted to sit on their butts for three hours listening to old people.....we wanted adventure and life. They all thought I was nuts for going.....no one would come back after one or two sessions of the boring crap.

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 03:30PM

Never, not once. Why would I subject a friend to that kind of boredom?

I did invite my non-mo family to special events, such as the blessings and baptism of my children. That's about it.

Posted by: quebec ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 03:36PM

Only once, and only my bff, and only for a funy 'talent show'
She must have been ok with it cause she laughed alot and we're still friends. (It was about 10 years ago).

Although I've been on a mission, I've never wanted to be a missionary with my own people (friends, family, co-workers, classmates, etc) because I always though "How can I tell them that the gospel will bring them joy when it doesn't work with me."

Posted by: holistic ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 04:36PM

I use to try and nab my best friends growing up in grade school by telling them how fun it was and that most times they give candy out.

I remember my grandpa always telling my sisters and me some tips and questions to ask to our friends to try and get them converted. Like--"Does your church offer the promise of families to be together forever?"

My grandpa spent like his last 10 years of his life writing a book. It is a book about how to talk to your neighbors about the church and compares the mainstream churches with the Mormon church. My aunt moved in with my grandparents after she retired from being an honors English teacher her whole career to help him finish it and edit it.

That's wild looking back on it all. He was going to put it in Deseret Book but he didn't like how much money they were asking from the sales. Wow, super wacky and waste of time to me. I loved my grandpa and he was a smart guy. It's crazy how brainwashed one can get and caught up in it all.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.