Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anon for this ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 01:28PM

Got a call from friend. Long story short. The viewing for one of the young teen-agers killed around Magrath was to be held. Family wanted it in the mormon church monday evening. No go, churches not to be used on monday night. These are tax-paying (tithe paying) serf(what ever you want, mylord) families strong in the church and this is the thanks they get. Families first. Right.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 01:33PM

oh my hell!

Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 01:48PM

LDS Inc. worships procedures, policies, and directives. And of course MONEY! There is no room to be a living breathing human in that goddamn cult. Each sheep-member is a nothing more than a battery cell in this large wasteful machine, giving it life and not getting re-charged for it.

This is a hot button issue for me as my testimony ground to a halt during my mother's funeral service.

Posted by: motherwhoknows ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 02:00PM

I have seen two people stomp out of a Mormon funeral, when some stranger (a bishop and a stake president) went to the podium, and started to preach the plan of salvation and other cult garbage.

One was the son of the deceased, and he was sitting on the stand. Afterwards, he told me that his mother's bishop had PROMISED that there would be no Mormon preaching. But--the stake president slipped in the side door at the last minute. He was not on the program.

Another was my son. Our relative's funeral was held in a ward where no one had even met him. All of the speakers talked about the church, missions, temple work, and dumb factoids and statistics about church growth, etc, and not about our relative at all--except that he had gone on a mission and had held some church callings.

I left instructions with my will, that I want a graveside service, and that's all. I also specified that I did not want my grave "dedicated" by the Mormons, and no prayers by the Mormons.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2011 02:02PM by motherwhoknows.

Posted by: nonmo ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 02:13PM

"This is a hot button issue for me as my testimony ground to a halt during my mother's funeral service."

Care to give the details?

Posted by: andyb ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 01:01AM

There sure has been a lot in the local (Lethbridge) media about how the town of Magrath has come together after this tragedy ....count on the CHURCH to stick it to someone in their greatest time of need because of a "regulation".....what a bunch of self important assholes!!!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 02:29AM

Now; it's back to the family / families...

Do they realize the POS that ChurchCo is 'see the light', or, is it not even/just another item "on the shelf".

it's up to them, isn't it?

innoculation / indoctrination: What's the difference?

Posted by: Sorcha ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 02:38AM

Jesus H. Christ and the Donkey his Mother rode in on!!! Gotta have that "Family Home Evening" I guess. Disgusting.

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 11:45AM

I hope they have the funeral on a Monday somewhere else so that the Bishop does not preside and they can have a proper eulogy and not a gospel preaching sermon.

It always bothered me when people asked to use the building and they were denied. One Bishop once said about a family wanting to use the building for a missionary farewell 'just because they pay tithing it does not mean they can use the facilities'.

D

Posted by: Tabula Rasa ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 11:53AM

I doubt the deceased (RIP) gave a shit one way or the other.

Ron

Posted by: Just Browsing ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 01:47PM

What they need is one of the BIG 15 to call the stake president and bishop and rip them a new one for being so insensative .. i hope that it would change their mind ..

JB

Posted by: Rebecca M ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 01:48PM

You have got to be kidding me! I think I'd decide to have it somewhere else because I'd be mad as heck.

Posted by: nonmo ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 02:17PM

How much of a lesson would it teach that bishop and local mormon leaders if he decided to have a (*gasp*)...

NONDENOMINATIONAL funeral service instead, thus wasting that prefectly opportune time to have a missionary event????

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 02:44PM

I had Catholic ceremonies for my mother and son. My mother was old and Catholic and it was very nice. My son died young, was not religious and certainly never gave a cent to a Catholic Church in his life. Nevertheless, the priest gave a very comforting sermon about a young man dying needlessly in the spring of his life and the awakened sensitivity this can bring to those he left behind.

I was amazed at how kind I was treated as a Catholic apostate in both cases. We were able to have flowers, candles, and include photos and memories were shared (of my mother's life).

It was very comforting compared to the extreme denial of death ritual that Mormons call a funeral (or whatever euphemism is popular). The needs of the members are always way down on the list and sales--excuse me-- conversions are always first.

I just wish potential converts had a chance to attend a Mormon post-life ceremony.

Anagrammy

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.