Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Drew90 ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 02:21PM

I ask a tbm friend but he gets so offended when I ask. He said I need to respect his decision but he always tries to get me to go to morg church with him. My cousin always changes his mind about his mission. He needs to make up his mind. One month he parties. The next month he turns mormon again.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 03:13PM

If your friend is "always trying" to get you to go to church with him, you haven't gotten throught to him as yet. Some tricks that I use to get through to very stubborn people are: direct and prolonged eye contact, deepening my voice, projecting my voice from the diaphram, saying that I already answered that question, not responding at all but just looking the questioner in the eye instead, repeating the question ("You want me to go to church with you? I've said no before and I meant what I said. I will NEVER go to church with you. Nothing personal, I just don't believe.") and if all else fails, tracing the backwards letters "n...o..." in the air in front of the person while verbally spelling out the word -- "n...o...NO."

Just some ideas for you!

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 03:56PM

Good ideas summer. I especially like the direct eye contact. some people say "NO, I am not going" but look down as they say it. It is ineffective. EYE contact is what makes them realize you are dead serious.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 01:24PM

"You know, one definition of 'insanity' is doing the same thing over and over but expecting a different result. You are proving to me that Mormons are insane."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2011 01:25PM by baura.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 01:27PM

Look them straight in the eye and say: NO, and if the question is the same, the answer is the same.
Then change the subject.

It's human nature to vacillate. Not everyone makes a clear decision once and sticks to it. It's their life, and it's about them, and it's OK to disengage! :-)

Posted by: ablmu65 ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 01:44PM

Pending on your friendship level, the next time he asks try this tactic, (You may have already done this)

Tell him that you find it hard respecting him and his choice when he won't even live up to the standards of his religion. Tell him to stop sitting on the fence he either believes or he doesn't and then throw the scripture at him Revelations 3:15-16 "I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. 16So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth" . It is not easy taking someone serious when they will drink with you one night and ask you to go with them to church the next.

Just a thought.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.