Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ishmael ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 06:17PM

I resigned from the corporation five years ago. Recent circumstances have made me aware that the broader culture in general and the LD$ corporate culture in particular have left me with a weak skill set in communication and behavior. This is primarily about the poor boundaries and self-concept that are the keys to manipulate people to remain in "pay, pray, and obey" mode. Meetings occur in places in which open questioning is attacked, and honest communication is subordinated to a party line. You know the picture.

More specifically, learning rudimentary facets of conflict resolution and clearer interpersonal communication made it clear to me that what is normal assertive behavior can seem aggressive to me, and it has become clear that TBM culture with its cog. diss., manipulation, and groupthink emphasis produces a lot of passive-aggressive behaviors and mindsets.

I need to learn where healthy boundaries are, and rather than reading books about it, putting myself in a face-to-face class in assertiveness training that required practice and live strategizing and understanding strikes me as being what I need.

So does anyone know how I can find a good assertiveness training course? And--here's the catch--I live in Utah County and would be willing to travel to Salt Lake, but I'm pretty much bound to the range of the morridor.

Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 12:13AM

I think you are right on in your observations and in assessing your needs. Conservative religious groups, according to one study I read, are very uncomfortable with normal assertiveness and they do mistake it for aggression. This encourages passive-aggressive behavior from them.

I can't think of a good book or training off the top of my head, but a local college or university psychology or counseling department may be a good resource for finding the information and training you are looking for.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2011 05:08PM by robertb.

Posted by: ishmael ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 12:17AM

Thanks, Robertb, I was hoping you could point me in a solid direction. I know what I want--just not where to get it.

I will return and report.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 01:18AM

at my meditation center. So check your local Buddhist centers, temples, institutes, etc. Not a religious orientation, needless to say. Best thing of all, it was a one day start with several weeks of weekly nightly meetings with plenty of time to practice in small groups.

Cost is quite reasonable.

Anagrammy

Posted by: unbeliever42 ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 04:44PM

First rule of healthy boundaries: Your stuff is your stuff. You do not have to share it unless you want to. It's okay to say "I don't want to share that."

Other people do not have the right to know what your stuff is. Only you do.

Posted by: banderson ( )
Date: December 26, 2011 02:13AM

Ish, I'd like the same thing. Keep me posted if you find any worth while courses. Best of luck to us!

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: December 26, 2011 11:12AM

I agree with "your stuff is your stuff"....no need to share any thoughts with others. But once you do wish to share it is imperitive that your belief is put out there on the issues you care about. No wishy washy statements but firmness on your part. If you wish to get more assertive, then I think a counselor can help with that. Surely they know the programs available to those who need this. Also how about public speaking programs. That helps the people who are afraid to speak in public. Is it called Toastmasters? Hear it is good.

Posted by: athreehourbore ( )
Date: December 26, 2011 11:02AM

I'll go too. I still keep annoyances inside until they all burst out later, and some regularly assertive people still make me uncomfortable and seem obnoxious and rude. Hard to tell where the line is drawn

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.