Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 06:58PM

I wonder how many subordinating conjunctions are in the BoM and D&C?

http://www.livescience.com/16585-psychopaths-speech-language.html
"Psychopaths appear to view the world and others instrumentally, as theirs for the taking, the team, which also included Stephen Porter from the University of British Columbia, wrote.

As they expected, the psychopaths' language contained more words known as subordinating conjunctions. These words, including "because" and "so that," are associated with cause-and-effect statements.

"This pattern suggested that psychopaths were more likely to view the crime as the logical outcome of a plan (something that 'had' to be done to achieve a goal)," the authors write."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 07:13PM

Related to this is objectifying, distancing, and obscuring language often used in business, the military, and--yes--religion. One example that sticks out for me is people who selected to be killed are referred to as "targets" or "subjects." I heard a general talk about "resourcing" Afghanistan when more troops were sent.Another is a common piece of advice in business writing to deliver bad news in the passive voice. Of course, all this is done deliberately, not unconsciously as in the study you link. Fascinating stuff.

Posted by: A ANON ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 08:48AM

robertb said:

"Another is a common piece of advice in business writing to deliver bad news in the passive voice..."

Very true. Consider this kind of often-used phrase:

"Mistakes were made."

The correct reply to this statement is: "Specifically, WHAT mistakes were made, and by WHOM?"

Silence.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 01:53AM

Classic example.

Gordon BS Hinckley appears on Larry King Live Sep 8 1998 to make PR hay over Pres. Bill Clintons troubled situation with Monica Lewinski as there are hearings considering impeaching Clinton. While stopping well short of personally condemning Clinton and prescribing any kind of punishment for the troubled president Clinton, Gordon B.S. was highly visible on the matter & wanted the world to know that as MORmON president, he was bound to speak out on the matter because MORmONS really really really do stand for something as far as their LDS beliefs go.... WHAT EVER those beliefs really are
(Since Hinckley had just disavowed LDS polygamy), and as far as Morality goes.

Soon after, days later Local Salt Lake City reporters LYnn Packer and Chris Van Ocur state that they have determined a direct definite link between a 2 million $ cash contribution to SLOC ( Salt LAke Organizing Committee for the 2002 olympics) used for Oly bid bribes and LDS Inc.

Days after that announcement in a press conference official LDS INC spokesman Don LeFevere is compelled to admit that LDS INC made the conrtibution. Le Fevre also attempted to qualify the payment by saying it was made with LDS inc *business money* and not with funds generated by offering contributions to LDs INC, a de facto admission that such a contribution to SLOC by LDS Inc was highly questionable.

Amid this turmoil, Moral pillar, Self Proclaimed PR genius, Grand Marshall of morality and "standing for something" Gordon B.S. Hinckley was No where to be seen.

The public was left to guess who had made the actual authorization for the action. LDs inc hoped that most ppl would not be able to "connect the dots", and Most MORmONS could not.

Posted by: nebularry ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 07:17PM

Posted by: The Man in Black ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 07:58PM

I'm sorry that you made me reply to this post. The way you worded that made it necessary. It is for the best. It is better than one post should perish than a forum dwindle in the psychotic.

I'm sorry you made me do this.

Posted by: foreverhuman ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 09:19PM

Thanks for revealing this. Now how am I supposed to manipulate my friends since they can identify me? From now on I am sticking to intransitive verbs.

Posted by: Thread killer ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 12:24PM

"..."Psychopaths appear to view the world and others instrumentally, as theirs for the taking, the team, which also included Stephen Porter from the University of British Columbia, wrote."

That sentence may technically be proper english, but it's about the most incomprehensible sentence structure I've ever seen; it must have been written by an academic...

Anyway, I was hoping to see if they were going to comment about psychopaths over-using the phrase "And it came to pass."

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 09:44AM

Thread killer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "..."Psychopaths appear to view the world and
> others instrumentally, as theirs for the taking,
> the team, which also included Stephen Porter from
> the University of British Columbia, wrote."
>
> That sentence may technically be proper english,
> but it's about the most incomprehensible sentence
> structure I've ever seen; it must have been
> written by an academic.

You're right but it seems to be the waive of the future, especially popular media. Place the most explosive word first, "psychopaths," and then but all of the qualifiers at the end of the sentence.

Posted by: J. Chan ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 11:18AM

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 02:03PM

I would have to agree with a lot of this. I've stated this many times before, but I am a magnet for psychopaths and sociopaths. After my ordeal with 2 particular "friends," I started studying up on why some people pathologically lie and screw with people's lives. This kind of info has prevented me from getting involved with other nutjobs trying to worm their way in my life.

Destructive people like this give themselves away, but you have to know some of the signs and not ignore that gut feeling.

Date: November 01, 2011 11:05AM

Yes, I am an empath. I am very open-minded and get along with most types of people, so of course sometimes the bad ones get in.
When I was younger, I was also a little too trusting because I assumed most people would choose to be honest given the chance. It didn't occur to me some people will lie- whether it's to get something from you, relieve boredom, or stay on your good side. (I'm not referring to little white lies or lies that spare a person's feelings.)

One of the signs of a pathological liar/psycho (#7 in rowan's list), is they tend to use a lot of the same number patterns in their lies i.e. "On February 6th, two friends and I went to see the movie around 6:00" That's a simplified version of the lie pattern, but I think you get my point.

One of the reasons this strikes a chord with me is I hope nobody has to ever go through what I have in the past. While I have mostly moved on, the scars still linger and get itchy when triggered. If I help even one person avoid trauma because of psycho/sociopaths, it will be one less person emotionally abused in the world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2011 11:07AM by Itzpapalotl.

Posted by: rowan ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 05:00AM

Psychopaths/Sociopaths
Things to look for:
1. The "pity-play"- Like has been so hard, I never get a fair deal, sad, sad, sad.
2. Uses "I, me, my, and mine" more than most people.
3. "I am such a good person" "Everybody likes/respects me"
4. Does not respect your personal space.
5. Does not take "No" for answer, always has a argument to your no, as if they can keep on until they wear you down.
6. A control-freak.
7. Lies in ways that normal people would not think necessary. If caught in a lie, will retell their story (like they are suppose to get a do-over) to get it right or they become very very defensive.
8. Passive-aggressive.
9. Seem to enjoy causing contention.
10.After being around them for a while, you feel drained. Like emotional vampires they suck the life out of you.

The list is longer, but this is my top ten warnings when dealing with someone.

Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 06:51AM

#4. Does not respect your personal space.
Hmmm, this could very well describe most Indians. At least here in Bangalore, rickshaw drivers have no qualms about almost running you over, public transport and elevators are occasions for some body rubbing, etc.

#8. Passive-aggressive.
Yup I've known tools who behave like this, including women.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 08:52AM

My ex for sure!

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 10:43AM

You have items I had not thought of. Here's one more item I'd like to add. These types of people will observe you so they can identify your personality flaws and exploit them. They'll refer to them a lot to make you feel unworthy, and they'll bring them up every time they get caught in one of their lies or want to draw attention away from their own mistakes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2011 10:44AM by Makurosu.

Posted by: I believed this once, years ago.. ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 04:54PM

One of the comments on this article was by a women who had twice married and divorced psychopaths. She said that she could tell who was a psychopath by what she called "crazy eyes" - the tendency to stare intently while telling their lies as if DARING you to call them out.

Her other tip was to not let them know you were on to them. No arguments, no scenes. Slip away quietly, and have as little contact as possible.

Date: October 31, 2011 09:59PM

I absolutely agree with this. Pyschopaths/sociopaths will try to come up with a million reasons why YOU'RE the one with the problem, why it's your fault, "just let me explain" type bullshit.

Walk-away, don't engage, stay the hell away from them.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 11:19AM

Posted by: greekgod ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 02:18AM

Because these guys are doing this study, it makes it harder so that I cannot flay people. :(

I'll just blame Itzpapalotl.

Date: November 01, 2011 10:43AM

greekgod Wrote:
-->
> I'll just blame Itzpapalotl.

lol...well, somebody has to.

Posted by: devilman ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 11:12AM

This quote stood out to me (regarding interviewing psychopaths):

"It is unbelievable," Woodworth said. "You can spend two or three hours and come out feeling like you are hypnotized."

Anybody else remember lots of stories of people coming away from their first encounter with Joseph Smith feeling enchanted or mesmerized and "knowing" he was a prophet?

Date: November 01, 2011 11:42AM

Even then you can be taken advantage of. Robert Hare, who is an expert in psychopathy, writes about an instance in which *he* was taken in by a man he already knew was psychopathic.

Years ago I saw a man who was mandated by the court to get counseling. It took me a while to realize he was psychopathic and was playing me. I don't think counseling is helpful in that case and just gives them a further education in manipulation.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 11:47AM

would their comments include making their actions someone else's fault?

Date: November 01, 2011 11:57AM

The authors said the pattern is more prominent in psychopaths-- "the psychopaths' language contained more words known as subordinating conjunctions." "More" is the key word. All of us use subordinating conjunctions.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.