Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: The Man in Black ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 06:59PM

I've recently noticed that as I spend more time out of Mormondumb the more I notice oddities that once seemed very normal. Most recently I've noticed that everyone seems to introduce themselves, or the person who is about to speak, with a short verbal resumé.

Having been raised in the the Church I assumed it was a normal way to introduce yourself or someone you know. It's something of a formula, and in a talk goes about like this:

(Salutation) Brothers and sisters. It is a privilege to be here this (time of day). Today we are blessed to hear from (title) (name) of the (rank) of the (quorum size). Brother/Sister (name) earned his (degree) from the University of (university). He/She has worked for (years) in (discipline) achieving (list of accomplishments). He/she has also participated in (charitable organization). He/she is a former (calling) of the (ward) in the (name of stake). (Name of Speaker).

It's also common for members who raise their hand and wish to contribute to a discussion. While shorter, the formula is similar. It goes about like this:

For those of you that don't know me, my name is brother/sister (name). I have a (degree) degree from (university) in (discipline). I think that prayer is very important, blah blah blah.

I've been speculating as to why such a formal introduction like this is so common because while you do see this from time to time in the professional world; you really don't see people give a credential for something like accounting and then proceed to explain the finer points of electrical engineering.

So I've come to the conclusion that the resumé introduction must be not so much to establish authority on the subject, as it is to offset somewhat whatever the speaker is about to say. Almost as if to say, "What I'm (speaker) about to say is likely to be profoundly stupid. I would therefore like to remind you that I (speaker) is/am capable of intelligence and have proven so with my resumé. Please remember that for the duration of the time I (speaker) spews verbal incoherence. Thank you."

Anyone else ever notice the verbal resumé is the proper introduction in Churchco?

*References available on request.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2011 07:04PM by The Man in Black.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 09:09PM

I saw this in the church for sure, but I see introduction to speakers similar to this outside the church as well.

The church is the only place I've heard people tout themselves when they answer a question.

Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 05:42AM

I hear it outside the church, but I have never heard it in a religious context. In a business association meeting, or that sort of thing, yes. But I've been to services in a variety of religious groups and never heard any sort of educational/career qualification for speakers/respondents.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 12:03PM

And a clear delineation between clergy and lay persons.

Mormonism blurs all of that, and you wind up with totally unqualified people providing spiritual advice and counseling.

Whatever you might have to say about the insanity of catholicism in so many other ways, at least all the priests are trained counselors.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 11:12PM

Excellent observation, MIB. The speakers do have to deflect the intellectual insults they are about to deliver. "I may believe in Superboy and the gilded Bible, but I have a degree from Phoenix University in retail logistics."

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 01:37AM

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 02:02AM

I never did that. but it would have been fun.

Hi I'm mia, I have the I.Q of a genius but was never allowed to use any of my scholarships to get an education. You see some old man in slc told my parents that since i didn't have a penis i could only get married to someone who did, and have babies. He told them to save their money to send their fine sons on missions and onto BYU.

so i was newlywed the day after my 18th birthday, to an abusive drug addicted RM who couldn't keep his pants on no matter where he was. I left him at age 20 when i caught him drunk and in bed with the neighbor.

From there my education progressed into a singles ward full of geeks and freaks with i.q's of maybe 90. where i learned that i would much rather go to hell than hook up with any of them.

I proceed on working my way thru the school of hard knocks. paying my way with a job at k mart. i studied day and night. Learned more than i ever wanted to know about shunning (by mo's) drinking, illicit drugs, crazy family members, and how to live on next to nothing.

Yes siree i've had one hell of an education! I have since gone on to get a PhD. but thats another story. Tonight i am here to talk to you about psychiatric pharmaceuticals and their role in keeping the church financially sound. Now if you'll bare with me...........

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 05:24AM

Sounds like the speakers are trying to establish credibility and are hoping the listeners will look up to them.

It reminds me of an uncle. He liked to announce how much more proud he was of his church accomplishments he was compared to having been a bank president. He said this in a way that he hoped mormon listeners would think, "Wow! Bank president! That's so impressive. But this guy is devout and cares more for the church than for secular power and money."

(That bank finally went broke and uncle's cofounder served a jail term.)

Posted by: elcid ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 10:39AM

The LDS church is very status oriented. If possible, they promote the wealthy/successful (in worldly terms) to postions (bishop, stake president, GA). There are soooo many good people in wards I have been in who are farmers, lowly government workers, teachers, etc., who get passed by for promotion due to insufficient resume experience in worldly terms.

Being status oriented is a sign of the youthfulness of the souls in the LDS church. It is a good incubator for those who have only progressed so far in their incarantions (IMO).

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 10:51AM

As Mormons moved from 19th C. communalism to 20h C. assimilation, they adopted prosperity gospel. JS was from the New England Calvanist tradition, which has become perverted by materialism into rich = good. If you are virtuous, God will bless you with riches. You make those riches visible so that others will see how good you are.

Look at the Romney campaign. His $250 millin that he grew out of his father's mone is viewed as a symbol of his virtue. Jesus may have said that it's easier to get into the Kingdom of Heaven being poor, but Mormons expect the rich to have much better accommodations there.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 10:47AM

Corporate meetings often introduce people with their credentials. Since Mormons don't have theologians, they substitute professional resumes.

It also fits into the prosperity gospel that being successful in business is the equivalent of being virtuous.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 01:07PM

axeldc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Corporate meetings often introduce people with
> their credentials. Since Mormons don't have
> theologians, they substitute professional
> resumes.
>
>
YES that is true! I've seen this done dozens of times in many different settings. The guest speaker, for instance, is introduced with a brief review of his/her resume. It's common and considered good etiquette.
I don't find anything unusual about LDS folks doing the same thing. I'd be surprised if they didn't do it.

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 02:47PM

Being British, I always thought this was an American thing, rather than a Mormon thing.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.