Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lost Mystic ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 08:17PM

"sailor suit" collars on dresses...rare but nauseating

Pausing in strange parts of prayer

Mentioning being grateful for temples "in our backyard"

Requirement of white shirts and ties for passing sacrament

No facial hair

No long hair on men

No pants for women in church

Praying/talking/socializing by a script unique to the culture

Please add!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 08:22PM

Excessive and abusive use of Kool-Aid, Jell-o,and cream of mushroom soup.

Ironic hoarding of whole grains while eating a white bread diet.

Posted by: jazzskeeter ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 09:16PM

Three hour long church
No face cards
No saying "no" to a calling
Missionaries should stay off the water because Satan rules the waters

Posted by: christieja ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 09:23AM

What is this one all about?

"Missionaries should stay off the water because Satan rules the waters"

Posted by: dr5 ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 09:26PM

Posted by: Hugh Geoffens-Kaamm ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 09:35PM

Years ago one of the BICs (Buffoons-in-Charge) declared that face cards should never be found in a good LDS home. The guy is dead now though, so face cards are OK.

Posted by: NeatNewName ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 09:44PM

In my family, we had a religious nut (well, we have lots of religious nuts, but my aunt was extreme). At our cabin, she found a deck of cards with face cards in it. She gave us a long lecture and hid the cards. My mother was ticked off--found the cards--and began to play canasta. There was a fight (no real physical abuse, but it got close).

Those two (my mother and my aunt) never spoke again. I really laughed at that one. It was one of the few times I respected my mother!

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 09:27AM

My grandma lived in SLC, so when I was at BYU I would go stay with her for the weekend once a month. Since many of my friends were far from home, I would invite them to come and stay there. My grandma loved the company.

My grandma loved to play gin rummy, so we spent lots times playing cards. One of my roommates told her that face cards were of the devil. Since she was a good Mormon (one of the few very good people I've ever known), she was very upset by this accusation. She didn't want to give up playing cards, especially since she played bridge with her former co-workers every month. It really upset her that he told her that.

Why rob a retired woman of a harmless pleasure, and honestly how did differ from playing uno? My grandma and I spent many hours playing cards, and it was a great way to bond and enjoy each others company.

What is wrong with a religion that ignores great evils in the world, like the destruction of the environment, and instead attacks harmless pleasures like cards and tea?

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 01:20PM

Not being able to enjoy all the good (normal) things in life is a requirement in TSCC.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 09:37PM

Showing upper arms and/or shoulders or legs above the knee on females is immodest.

Shunning.

Associate only with other Mormons.

Adult women speaking to everyone as if they are talking to a three year old.

Basically, anything a Profit said that can be revoked in the future as he was speaking only as man- things as no "unnatural" colored hair, no flip-flops, only one ear ring per ear, and no tattoos.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 09:41PM

Don't let your kids play with non-mormon kids.

Don't let your kids play on Sunday.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 09:49PM

The wink and nod towards fundamentalist republicanism.

R rated movies.

Specific funds in additions to tithes.

No tattoos body piercings, or 2nd earring.

No heavy metal music rather than the Osmonds. In fact no good music at all.

No pants for women in church, or flip flops for anyone.

Must cheer for BYU.

Must claim to be friends with black people.

Must invest in your bishops Amway or scam of the month.

Must consider the internet to be evil and not read.

Date: October 23, 2011 09:57PM

Marry young and start popping out kids immediately.

Large number of kids.

Selling multi-level marketing.

Wife is a SAHM.

Scrapbooking.

Posted by: Lost Mystic ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 10:04PM

The no missionaries at sea is a new one to me! Can you explain a little more?

I guess no coffee and tea as well..."no hot drinks" could be anything liquid heated!

Blogging too!

Crafts sharing via Facebook or blogging

Date: October 23, 2011 10:52PM

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 03:45AM

in items 61, 62, and 63? (Like, be loyal to your comp but don't hesitate to snitch on him. I have issues with that.)

Posted by: Cleareyes ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 06:36AM

This one makes me laugh. It is so true how they are into blogging. The newest one that I have seen run rampant through the Mormon clan is pinterest.

Posted by: Johnny Canuck ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 10:10PM

"Showing upper arms and/or shoulders or legs above the knee on females is immodest.".....even for four year old little girls (that Hanna's new dress nausea a few months back)

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 11:29PM

No trick or treating on Oct. 31 if it is a Sunday.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 11:34PM

using children to compete for most righteous title
bearing testimony every 30 days
no fashionable clothing, shoes,or haircuts after age 30
competition that uses temporal possessions as proof of uber righteousness.
using your spouses callings to prop up status
thinking showing up at anyones home at any time is acceptable
using ancestors to prop up status
talking mormon speak no matter where you are.
chastising people thru a prayer or lesson
undermining the free agency of others
inflating or making up spiritual experiences
fabricating spiritual experiences for the youth
constantly interviewing people
asking kids inappropriate sexual questions
making up rules as they go along etc.etc.etc.

Date: October 23, 2011 11:54PM

Calling each other by a church title in a non-church setting. President...., Elder...., Sister......

Actually, even in a church setting is strange. In most churches the only local people that are addressed with a title are the pastor/priest that are usually known as Rev. .... or Father ......

Date: October 24, 2011 01:03AM

i went shopping in manti one week-end, struck up a conversation with the clerk. she gave me a funny look and said, you aren't from here are you? why do you say that? i ask. Your nice,nobody around here is nice. why? I ask. They all think they're better than everyone else. Why is that? i ask. She said "they all think they are in the ck, and apparently you have to be a bitch if you want to fit in. In the ck? i asked? Yep. So if you don't want to go to the ck you should never come back here again.

That was a strange conversation. I'm taking her advice.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 09:32AM

We, of course, all know otherwise.

We went to eat at a restaurant in Logan a few years ago--my ex, his partner, our twins, and I. We ordered wine. When we were about done eating, the waiter said, "You aren't from here, are you?" Well, yes, we are. He said, "You act too normal to be from Utah."

He was an RM who had left the church.

I actually have an older "grinder"--but it is my mormon grandmother's coffee grinder.

I was thinking in terms of can't dress fashionable even if there are fashions that meet their guidelines. It is important to dress matronly.

And those mushroom haircuts--do they have any idea how bad those look (especially with all that hairspray to make them stay in place)?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2011 09:34AM by cl2.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 12:16PM

we all know that many members (not all) don't follow that advice. They don't even follow their own 11th Article of Faith.

The Articles of Faith - #11:
We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

But, people will be ...well..... people. They will engage in behavior that is contrary to their own religious teachings.

So to be clear, again: yes, some Mormons engage in shunning, even though they are taught not to.

Date: October 24, 2011 01:08AM

The combination of mia's "competition that uses temporal possessions as proof of uber righteousness" and crafting that results in a half-million dollar house that looks like it was decorated by a recreational therapy group.

Date: October 24, 2011 01:24AM

i haven't been in any houses in Utah. so, not sure about the decorating. always imagined craft stuff, framed religious prints,and baby grands. Oh yeah and a top of the line wheat grinder. am i right?

Date: October 24, 2011 01:36AM

My grandma did indeed have such a wheat grinder, but I only remember it being used once (see my first post in the thread)

The rest is spot on -- toll painting, jute and raffia as far as the eye can see. Word art with "love" and "family" is also ubiquitous.

Granted, I've been out of the morridor for over a decade, but considering the level of 70s decor at that time, I don't imagine it's much different now.

Date: October 24, 2011 06:40AM

^^^^^

"Word art with "love" and "family" is also ubiquitous"....so true!!! I have never seen it used so much as I do in a Mormon's house. So funny

Posted by: christieja ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 09:29AM

Ugh!!! When looking for a home just south of Salt Lake, I could tell immediately the Mormon homes and we unfortunately saw lots and lots of them. Church art, vinyl wall lettering, huge picture of young married couple outside the temple, and metal stars hung on the wall.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 01:40AM

-Not drinking coke, coffee or tea...but indulging in hot chocolate and herbal tea.

-thinking that you have a right to tell everyone and anyone about "what you believe", but get offended when they try to tell you what they believe.

-thinking they're not gentiles.

I'm sure there's so much more...

Posted by: darth jesus ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 03:44AM

- pray to get send far far away on your mission.

- when you come home, bear your testimoney in the language you learned.

- be anti-gay

- don't say a word about your leaders even if what they are doing is bullshit

- if you are girl, get a mushroom haircut. bleach your hair really blond to show you were very righteous in heaven.

- if you are guy, pretend you were chosen to be the next profit.

- join the boyscouts.

- go to seminary at 6am.

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 04:38AM

Gah! I had a horrible hatered of shroom haircuts since I was five your so right about he shroom cut.

Date: October 24, 2011 06:44AM

^^^^ "joining the boy scouts"

I was in a boy scout troop that held our meetings, etc in a Christian church. I actually felt like I was just in the boy scouts, no religion involved.

The Mormon use scouts as another way to keep young men in the church and to keep them socializing with each other.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 04:49AM

colored resin grapes... ours were blue and green

Posted by: familyfirst ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 05:33AM

no curtains on the windows

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 05:56AM

Boundary issues and general prying into other peoples private business.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 06:16AM

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 07:09AM

calling 'tithing' a charitable donation

counting anything done at/for the church as a charity/service project, and then claiming how 'public spirited' they are.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 12:26PM

are one in the same much of the time. The culture is how Mormonism is lived.

Clothing/styles etc. will vary by the area people live in: Hawaii, will be different than Alaska, for instance. We have lived in some areas that had very affluent sections so the clothing in one ward/stake would vary greatly.

We wore pants in the chapel for rehearsals, choir practice, but it was not considered proper dress for Sacrament meeting, but I never saw anyone told to leave if they came in slacks.

Dress for youth dances, on the other hand is very strict. It seems to be standard across the board in all wards and stakes.

Tithing is a charitable contribution and many people, including us, used it as such on our tax forms as we itemized. When we got tax returns (usually sizable)I called them Tithing Refunds! :-)

We had beautiful draperies in many of the windows of the church buildings, especially the older ones.

Boy Scouts is an official program of the LDS Church. Can't get around that one.

Proper attire is not about culture, it's requirements for participating in the LDS Church, just as it is in many other churches.

No facial hair for men is not strictly enforced, except, in the temple as a worker, I am told. (Know many LDS men with mustaches!)

Organizing by geographic wards is similar to how Chicago,(and other areas) for instance, is organized by wards for political purposes.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.