Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: edwood ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 10:06PM

Why are organizations that receive government monies or favorable tax treatment not required to give a full accounting of where their money comes from and how it is spent including any commercial activities they are engaged in?

If an organization claims tax exempt status for itself then let it open its financial books for public scrutiny. Such an organization, engaged in charitable work, should have nothing to hide and should let the public know how efficiently it is spending the donations it receives and that it is not using the funds for other unrelated projects perhaps like a downtown mall.

It would would allow the public to decide whether to continue to donate or choose another more efficient organization.

For too long Mormonism has used the cover of tax exemption to fund its expansion, all its "charitable giving" is given with the aim of increasing its power and influence. Even in instances where it does give to non Mormon causes it does so with an eye for the cameras and publicity - getting "more bang for the buck."

What could possibly be wrong with governments asking for such accountability? Why should non Mormons and the government subsidies and finance Mormon cult temple building and missionary activity through tax exemptions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Quoth the Raven "Nevermo" ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 05:32AM

The problem is not the government but the givers. One would like to think that those who give their hard earned money to a charity want some sort of accountablility of it all. There are watch groups that provide info on charities, as to how much of donations actually goes to the benefit of others and not "administrative" costs.

The gov assumes that those who give will be smart with their donations. But that does not matter to mobots. They are told that they don't need to know where their money goes. And they believe this. Other religions openly publish their budgets. The members of the church expect it.

If those who give don't care if their money is abused why should the goverment? You can't outlaw stupid.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 05:51AM

I had a conversation with a Stake Leader once.
He was asking why I didn't sustain the senior Church Leaders.
One reason I gave him was that I didn't agree with how they chose to spend tithing donations. He said in defense that nobody knows how it is spent so how could you disagree?
I responded with 'if you don't know how it is spent how can you decide if you agree?'
Silence
After a very awkward moment I said that actually I probably knew more about how it was used than he did, so when he was in a position to discuss specifics with me I would be happy to continue the conversation.

Still waiting...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2011 05:52AM by Stumbling.

Posted by: lefthandedgoat ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 07:46AM

Great response Stumbling!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.