Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: inGenesung ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 02:37AM

As a convert, I had no idea getting the mission call was such a big deal. See video below, and there are hundreds of others just like it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dh9OZwtBbo&feature=related

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tabula Rasa ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 09:07AM

Right of passage. What'd you expect?

Ron

Posted by: inGenesung ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 10:10AM

Sorry, to be clear, I meant the actual physical opening on the letter. I know it's a big deal to receive the call, but to gather the whole family plus what sounds like 20+ friends to read a piece of paper...

Posted by: Tabula Rasa ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 12:41PM

That's what I meant. It's like a baptism or a bris. Everybody's invited.

Ron

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 09:19AM

And for many Mormons, it's the only time they spend significant time outside the US, or even outside their home state.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 10:15AM

I think there are a lot of things like this - it's just another chance to celebrate your Mormon-ness. I just opened my letter and called everyone but nowadays, there is a whole culture around Mormonism that has nothing to do with the gospel. These letter openings are part of the culture, as are the new trends to have sappy missionary pictures taken before you go, or to have a blown-up cardboard cutout of your missionary in your livingroom or at another child's wedding or to have "colors" for your baptism, as you do for a wedding.

The videos that are sad are the ones where the missionary is obviously gob-smacked by where they are going. Usually because they are disappointed they are going to Hicksville, Idaho North Mission, especially when their older brothers went somewhere exotic - or sometimes because they don't want to go to the jungles of Indonesia. The prospective missionary is trying to look happy and excited but failing dismally.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2011 10:16AM by CA girl.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 12:37PM

I got my call sent to my dorm address at BYU. I got the letter, went to my room, and opened it by myself. I was taking French 301 at the time, so it was no coincidence or disappointment that I went to Paris.

My roommate got his call to Ogden, Utah two months later. I watched him open it in our room, and it took him a few minutes to adjust to the news. He ended up enjoying it, since Utah missionaries are pretty spoiled, but I doubt he would want his face the first few seconds after he opened it forever plastered on Youtube.

Posted by: Quoth the Raven "Nevermo" ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 12:59PM

CA girl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> These letter openings are part of the culture, as
> are the new trends to have sappy missionary
> pictures taken before you go, or to have a
> blown-up cardboard cutout of your missionary in
> your livingroom or at another child's wedding or
> to have "colors" for your baptism, as you do for a
> wedding.

Batisms are color coordinated? OMG. So girls will get the feel of planning a wedding in 10 years?

I know you are not joking about life size photo cutouts of missionaries, but.....it should be a joke.

This proves it...morbots are just the weirdest MFers in the world!

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 11:03AM

Last year, someone posted an awesome mission call video of a guy who was clearly not interested in going on a mission. The video was posted by the dude's father, who sounded so obnoxiously Mormon that it was almost puke inducing. Poor kid was going to Edmonton, Alberta, Canada and was obviously not happy about it. But dad kept chirping, "That's where the Lord wants ya." Then the camera flashed to Mom, who looked like she was salivating at the chance to get junior out of the house.

If I recall correctly, a bunch of people from RfM left comments on the video that caused dad to make it unlisted and finally take it down altogether. I wonder if that poor kid on the video has joined our ranks yet!

Posted by: andyb ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 12:29PM

I'd be pretty bent if I found out I had to spend 2 years in "The Chuck" (short for Edmonchuck, or Edmonton)....bummer...winters suck big time up there....

Posted by: Scott.T ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 12:24PM

... obviously posting videos on YouTube and such wasn't possible back then, but for those who went on missions in the 80s or 70s, was it such a big deal to gather everyone around still?

... or was I an exception. I went on my mission in the mid 80s. The day I got my call, no one was home. My mother figured it wouldn't come until the next week, so went shopping or something. I got home from work, saw the envelope, waited a little while, taking time time to shower and change, but then since no one else was around, except my 11 y/o brother I went a head and opened it. Then when Mom and Dad got home later I told them about it.

I think even in the 80s, most missionaries would at least wait and open it with their immediate family around though.

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 12:57PM

Ah, I remember it well... like it was only 20 years ago (wow, has it really been that long?)

Checking the mailbox daily to see if the letter from the Prophet... yes, the actual prophet, had sent me my letter telling me where I was "needed" for the next two years of my life.

When the letter finally came, I ran into the house and the family gathered around as I quickly tore hope the envelope and quickly scanned though the boring intro (though I was was determined to read the whole thing, just as quickly as possible) to see that was being sent to.... (dramatic pause)... (commercial break)... (recap)... (replay dramatic pause)... Korea!

How very exciting for the whole family! Since I had a great public school education from the great state of Arkansas, we had to pull out an atlas and look up where I'd be off to. (this was long before the days of google earth)...

I look back at that time and I thank the Flying Spaghetti monster that there was no internet, and video cameras were too expensive for most family's to have or there would video evidence of this extravaganza of TBM behavior.

It was an exciting time and as Ron stated above, it is a right of passage for a Mormon, especially men, where they are pretty much accepted at this point as "Men"... Up to that point they are still considered "Young Men". If you don't go on a mission, like my brothers some how managed to get out of, at the ages between 19 - 21 you are in an awkward state where no one is sure where you fit... Oh, they throw you over to the elders quorum eventually and if you're "lucky" there's a singles ward near by, but you're still damaged goods. Prospective missionary and a returned missionary are, for at least a time, royalty.

Posted by: Quoth the Raven "Nevermo" ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 01:05PM

Finally Free! Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Prospective missionary and a returned
> missionary are, for at least a time, royalty.

what missionary boys don't get is that the royalty only applies to morbots. My god daughter had a friend who met a RM on a plane (he was not coming back from his mission but was visiting someone) and he was hitting on her hard and kept telling her that he was a RM, like that would matter to her. She didn't return his calls because he was.....a mormon. I don't think that PR campaign will change that. But..but, "I'm a Mormon!" "Yeah, exactly".

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.