Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: alex71ut ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 08:36AM

I certainly don't intend for this to turn political. But I got a good chuckle when I read about one of the first changes the new government is making in post-Gaddafi Libya. The ban on polygamy has been lifted.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/libya/8844819/Libyas-liberation-interim-ruler-unveils-more-radical-than-expected-plans-for-Islamic-law.html

Thomas Sharia Monson should be glad ;)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 08:46AM

Calling Joseph Smith! LOL!

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 11:16AM

Does this sound familiar...

The new state “will not disallow polygamy” Jalil said, and charging interest will be forbidden. Some Libyans point out that polygamy was practised discreetly under Gadafy, while others interpreted Jalil’s remarks as a practical measure to address the issue of the thousands of women left widowed during the war.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 11:53AM

Not so much a paradise for mos with that in effect, is it?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 12:00PM

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 04:02AM

This gentleman is a doctor, probably a few years older than I am. His family and ours have been friends since before 9/11.

He said, "This is only the beginning. I think Sharia will spread through the Arab world. I'm glad my family and I are here now."

This isn't a stupid guy. I have respect for his opinions. But this one scares me. What can possibly be the attraction of a religion that spreads terrorism and hatred and gets its jollies out of mutilating little girls and beheading people in public, or stoning women to death? Can you imagine a missionary trying to sell THIS one???

I SO don't get it.

Date: October 25, 2011 04:14AM

I think it's inappropriate to criticise the customs, practices and policies of other nations. Is your nation perfect? I assume from your 9/11 reference you are American. The reason that 'Americans' are disliked globally is the same reason that Mormon's are disliked. You (generalization) think you are the only people who are right and the world would be a better place if everyone lived like you do.

When your country and it's religions are fixed then perhaps would be the time to cast your disapproving glance at other nations. Here's a list you might want to consider thinking about in terms of America's problems:

Drugs
Poverty
Homelessness
Prostitution
Gun crime
Fraud
The death penalty
Racism
Homophobia

Got them fixed yet?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2011 04:16AM by Stumbling.

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 05:56AM

Why is it inappripriate to criticise? If we are criticising an idea we are thinking about that idea. The only reason to bitch about criticizing an idea is because you don't want orher people thinking about that idea.

Islam is dangerous. So is Christianity and any other religious ideology. I would go so far as to say that people are actually the dangerous ones and not thier religions or thier ideologies. After all, people are able to act while ideologies are mute and intangible without people. None of your complaints are exclusive to Americans, they are ancient social ills that predate all exsisting cultures (aside from gun crime etc, which are new but widespread contendors for the throne of worst human traits . I hope your misgided PC ignorance dies out with the rest of humanaties dross, which you complain about.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2011 06:04AM by luckychucky.

Date: October 25, 2011 05:59AM

We are all entitled to our opinions, PC or otherwise.

I just think people in glass houses should be really careful about throwing stones.

You are entitled to think I am 'misguided' and 'ignorant' but that stance probably reflects more about you than it does about me.

Have a great life.

Date: October 25, 2011 06:02AM

I would take you more seriously if you addressed my points instead of dismissing them.

Date: October 25, 2011 06:04AM

Likewise

Date: October 25, 2011 06:15AM

I met your points directly. You slid around my points as if you had no means of actually adressing them. Criticism is key to uncovering truth and truth is an enemy to tyrany.

I agree that Americans always miss the mark of perfection, as do we all. But I would rather be liberated to seek truth over submiting to ideology. Enjoy a great life as a sheep to fear, I will prosper in my life as a free person.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2011 06:17AM by luckychucky.

Date: October 25, 2011 06:24AM

Quick, put your hands over your ears and march away saying 'La, La, La, La, La....' until you've convinced yourself that you are right.

Date: October 25, 2011 06:33AM

You debate like a infant. Are you seriously going to resort to writing noises? I asked some serious questions and got no response of substance. Someone here is convinced of how "right" they are and it's not me. What a sad waste of my time.

Date: October 25, 2011 06:37AM

No humour gene, huh. Figures.

I wasn't debating (in case you hadn't spotted that), I was just expressing an opinion in counter to the one by catnip.

You seemed to want to fight me into saying that my opinion was wrong. I'm really not bothered what you think of my opinion.

This 'discussion' is definitely a waste of your time, and sad.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.