Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 05:51PM

One week in Spain (Barcelona and Madrid) and no sign of LDS, Inc. No churches, no missionaries, no TV ads, no anything. They must be hiding or giving up.

However, I do like to chat up the taxi drivers, and when one found out we were American he asked if the state we were from was the center of the Mormon Church. I told him there were hardly any Mormons where I am from. Apparently, he had met sister missionaries some years ago, and associated Americans with Mormons. He went on to explain his agnostic views of religion to which I gave my hardy "amen".

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 06:03PM

Did you see the Sagrada Familia? How is it coming along? Any other Gaudi architecture? I'd love to see Spain one day.

Date: October 24, 2011 10:30PM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did you see the Sagrada Familia? How is it coming
> along?

I was there in '89 and climbed one of the towers. At the time there was hardly any "inside" since it was all "outside". Now the nave is mostly done (a lot of stained glass left to do). It is absolutely glorious! I think it's the most beautiful building I've ever been in. The overall design is awesome, but it is also brimming with detail that is so rich. Gaudi goes to the top of my list of favorite architects.

> Any other Gaudi architecture?

We saw Parc Guell and the Pedrera. Also fabulous.

> I'd love to see Spain one day.

Go! I've been there twice and am absolutely enchanted by it. I dreamed about it at night for several days after I got back.

Posted by: runtu ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 06:09PM

The church is probably one of the most visible American presences in a lot of countries. Obviously, there are political, cultural, and economic presences that have far more influence on the lives of people in other countries than does the church.

But other than tourists, the only Americans a lot of people see are those hapless kids in the white shirts and ties. And thus, it's easy for people to overestimate the church's numbers and influence in the United States. Because they see the missionaries, they assume it's not the small, fringe religion it really is.

Back in the 1980s, leftist groups in Latin America specifically targeted Mormon chapels and missionaries. Many chapels in Colombia were bombed, and missionaries were murdered in Bolivia and Peru. Why? Because people overestimated the church's numbers in the United States.

I'm quite certain that, when the two missionaries from Utah were murdered in Bolivia in 1989, the killers were shocked that it didn't make the national news in the US. Two Mormon kids from Utah weren't big news here. But they were targeted because the killers thought they would be.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 06:28PM

I served my mission in Spain. Did you eat paella and tapas and gazpacho and real bread? Churros and chocolate? Bask in the warm sun and the warm people and the beautiful architecture? Drink sherry from Jerez? (Which I didn't have on my mission but every year I order Christmas candy from Spain and this year, I'm ordering sherry to go with it. I always felt like I was missing something not getting to try the sherry.)

Anyway, glad to hear we didn't do too much damage over there. What about the Madrid temple? Did you check it out? Has it become appointment only yet?

Date: October 24, 2011 10:37PM

CA girl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I served my mission in Spain. Did you eat paella
> and tapas and gazpacho and real bread? Churros
> and chocolate?

Everything but the gazpacho. In Segovia we were invited to someone's house and they made paella. The best I ever had. The next day she made cordero.

> Bask in the warm sun and the warm
> people and the beautiful architecture?

Lots of that.

> Anyway, glad to hear we didn't do too much damage
> over there. What about the Madrid temple? Did
> you check it out?

Wasn't on the itinerary.

Viva Espan~a!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.