Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: fearguiltpromise ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 02:43PM

I asked RfM in another thread if anyone remembered being taught that the profit speaks to Jesus in the SLC temple and I received many responses and a great link to a 1993 Friend article about Lorenzo Snow's chat with Christ. But I wanted to get a more official answer, so I enlisted the help of MormonChat. When the discussion was over, I tried to copy and paste the contents of the chat but was unable to do so. I used the snipping tool and saved the chat in sections and then this morning I typed it out word for word including all errors.

I realized during my typing and double-checking for accuracy that anyone could fabricate a chat or 'say' this happened or that, and there really isn't any solid proof that the chat even occurred. The Morg likes it this way; plausible deniability(spelling). So I guess this doesn't really qualify as an official answer and you'll have to just take my honest word that this conversation really happened.

I used the name of ‘Lawrence’ for the chat. Here's how it went:

Before we begin, will you share a little about what brought you to chat with us?
A missionary will be with you shortly.

Me: I’m curious to find an answer to a question regarding the temple.

Please continue to hold for the next available missionary.
Agent [Nicole] is ready to assist you.
Agent [Rochelle] has joined the chat.
Nicole: ok sure! How can we help you Lawrence?
Rochelle: Hi Lawrence
Me: Hello Nicole and Rochelle. I am told that the current prophet at any time may speak with Jesus Christ in a special room in the Salt Lake temple. Is this true?
Nicole: the Prophet is the Mouth piece of God. But we don’t know when or how He does it…sorry
Nicole: are you very familiar with the Church?
Me: Well, if the prophet is the mouth piece, how does he receive his information? As for familiarity with the church, yes--somewhat. I have distant family members who are members but their information contradicts like in this particular question of mine.
Rochelle: We believe he is called by God to speak for God. He directs the Church and presides over the Church. God communicates to him mainly through the Holy Ghost, which we believe is a member of the godhead, who testifies of the reality of God and Jesus Christ.
Nicole: Do you believe God can call a Prophet today Lawrence?
Me: Rochelle, I received a link to an article in the ‘Friend’ magazine from 1993 wherein it states Lorenzo Snow tells his granddaughter of his exact time and place where he spoke to Christ in the temple( I’m not sure which temple). Yet my other relative believes the same as you, that the spirit speaks to the prophet.
Rochelle: Do you believe prophets like Moses or Abraham saw God?
Nicole: The only way you can trulyknow Lawrence, is to ask God Himself..He is the only one, after all, who know II and can reveal truth to you
Me: I don’t mean to sound disrespectful, but I’ve been betrayed by my emotions and feelings before. Small example would be my belief in Santa Clause as a small child. I truly believed he existed, I felt it in my heart. I sat on his lap. He was real. But yet he’s not.
Nicole: Well..not comparing Santa Clause to Jesus Christ, b/c it’s completely different
Nicole: It’s His House Lawrence, if He wishes to visit His House and reveal Himself to His Servant, the Prophet, Then He absolutely can. It’s happend before Many times
Me: They both can read our thoughts, know if we’re good or bad, reward us accordingly. But my original question is really all I’m here to have you answer. Does the Lord Jesus Christ ever speak face to face with the modern day prophet? And, if the temples are call the house of the lord, does he ever enter the sacred buildings that not just anyone can enter?
Rochelle: YES. He does. There’s your answer. But even if we say that , you still have to find out for yourself if the modern day prophet is a true prophet of God or not. You can’t just take our word for it.
Me: I apologize for any confusion, but I just want to keep this clear in my head because my on relative will be so sure that I didn’t talk to you(this is the one that is certain that Pres. Monson only receives revelation through the spirit, not face to face). I’m not used to talking to two different individuals at the same time. So, Rochelle, are you saying that YES Pres. Monson can speak directly to Jesus, face to face, if the lord sees fit?
Rochelle: That is correct.
Me: Also Rochelle, understand that prior to beginning this chat with you two, I searched all over the internet, avoiding any site that didn’t support the church’s teachings and none of them, not even lds.org state what you are saying. They state what my relative says.
Rochelle: Of course these sacred things aren’t publicly displayed.
Nicole: thanks for coming on Lawrence! We appreciate your time
Nicole: and you haven’t read about Joseph Smiths history then?
Me: I’m sorry, what do you mean?
Nicole: If you read about Joseph Smith in His History, you’ll see the He was appeared to by Christ Himself in His first and holy temple in these later days
Nicole: well…if you’d like to learn more, feel free to browse our website further
Nicole: thanks for coming on!
Agent [Rochelle] has left the chat.
Me: Thank you for your time.
Nicole: of course
The chat session has ended.

My reasoning for inquiring about this topic is because I remember truly believing the profit spoke face to face with Jesus and that's what set my church apart from the others. But when I went in search of proof of this belief, I came up with nothing. I think the Morg has gently abandoned this teaching as it is no longer taught. The spirit of the holy ghost testifies God's word to the prophet, that is all. Yet, sister mishie, Rochelle, age 21-22?, admitted to the teaching and the omission of it because of its sacredness.

The Cult of Joseph Smith of ever changing saints =)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: What is Wanted ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 02:48PM

I use Google Chrome

Go to the wrench in right and corner

Select "Options" "under the hood" " Content settings"

Go down to Java Script and select " Do not allow any site to run JavaScript"

Then copy your chat. Reverse what you just selected and then paste into your thread.

That will get you the entire as printed to paste properly :)

Date: October 25, 2011 02:55PM

Thanks, What is Wanted, I'll do that. I never closed my chat box. I will have to install Chrome, as I don't currently use it, and I hope the process will work as you stated. If so, I'll post the chat.

Date: October 25, 2011 03:07PM

I can't seem to get it to work. I think its because I wasn't using Chrome when the chat took place, I was using Mozilla. Any suggestions?

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 03:37PM

This change was made to the church's "Gospel Principles” manual in 2009:

1997 version:
“An Apostle is a special witness of Jesus Christ in all the world”

2009 version (addition shown in capitals):
“An Apostle is a special witness of THE NAME OF Jesus Christ in all the world”

Say WHAT?!? Aren’t ALL Christians witnesses of “the name of” Christ? So what’s the diff between any one of the 2.1 billion Christians in the world and the puny 15 alleged "Christians" at the top of Mormonism?

The truth is that Mormon “apostles” are fallible men who are no more righteous than the next man! The only difference is that most men will admit to having normal human failings, while Mormon leaders do not!

Here is the Link to “Changes to Gospel Principles” between the 1997 and 2009 version. (See Ch. 14 for the above-quoted change.)

http://www.mrm.org/gospel-principles

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.