Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 03:53PM

RfM poster "Deconstructor" has provided compelling proof that, from the get-go, Mormonism was anything but Christian (You in the "But-We-Are-Christian!" LDS crowd might want to do what you so often do: close your eyes real tight and ignore this, even though it has come in waves from your Mormon church presidents, "prophets" and apostles):
_____

Is the term "Mormon Christian" an oxymoron?

"What is it that inspires professors of Christianity generally with a hope of salvation? It is that smooth, sophisticated influence of the devil, by which he deceives the whole world"
- Prophet Joseph Smith, Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p.270

"...all the priests who adhere to the sectarian religions of the day with all their followers, without one exception, receive their portion with the devil and his angels."
- Prophet Joseph Smith , The Elders Journal, Joseph Smith Jr., editor, vol.1, no.4, p.60

"This is not just another Church. This is not just one of a family of Christian churches. This is the Church and kingdom of God, the only true Church upon the face of the earth..."
- Prophet Ezra Taft Benson, Teachings of Ezra Taft Benson, p.164-165

"Christianity...is a perfect pack of nonsense...the devil could not invent a better engine to spread his work than the Christianity of the nineteenth century." (Journal of Discourses, vol. 6, p.167); "Where shall we look for the true order or authority of God? It cannot be found in any nation of Christendom."
- Prophet John Taylor, Journal of Discourses, 10:127

"Brother Taylor has just said that the religions of the day were hatched in hell. The eggs were laid in hell, hatched on its borders, and then kicked on to the earth."
- Prophet Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses 6:176

"Both Catholics and Protestants are nothing less than the 'whore of Babylon' whom the Lord denounces by the mouth of John the Revelator as having corrupted all the earth by their fornications and wickedness. Any person who shall be so corrupt as to receive a holy ordinance of the Gospel from the ministers of any of these apostate churches will be sent down to hell with them, unless they repent"
- Apostle Orson Pratt proclaimed, The Seer, p. 255

"After the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was organized, there were only two churches upon the earth. They were known respectively as the Church of the Lamb of God and Babylon. The various organizations which are called churches throughout Christendom, though differing in their creeds and organizations, have one common origin. They all belong to Babylon"
- George Q. Cannon said, Gospel Truth, p.324

"When the light came to me I saw that all the so-called Christian world was grovelling in darkness."
- Prophet Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses 5:73

"With a regard to true theology, a more ignorant people never lived than the present so-called Christian world."
- Prophet Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses 8:199

"The Christian world, so-called, are heathens as to the knowledge of the salvation of God"
- Prophet Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses 8:171

"Christians—those poor, miserable priests brother Brigham was speaking about—some of them are the biggest whoremasters there are on the earth, and at the same time preaching righteousness to the children of men. The poor devils, they could not get up here and preach an oral discourse, to save themselves from hell; they are preaching their fathers' sermons —preaching sermons that were written a hundred years before they were born. ...You may get a Methodist priest to pour water on you, or sprinkle it on you, and baptize you face foremost, or lay you down the other way, and whatever mode you please, and you will be damned with your priest.
- Apostle Heber C. Kimball, Journal of Discourses, 5:89

"The Gospel of modern Christendom shuts up the Lord, and stops all communication with Him. I want nothing to do with such a Gospel, I would rather prefer the Gospel of the dark ages, so called"
- Prophet Wilford Woodruff, Journal of Discourses, vol. 2, p.196

"But as there has been no Christian Church on the earth for a great many centuries past, until the present century, the people have lost sight of the pattern that God has given according to which the Christian Church should be established, and they have denominated a great variety of Christian Churches ... But there has been a long apostasy, during which the nations have been cursed with apostate churches in great abundance"
- Apostle Orson Pratt, Journal of Discourses, 18:172

"What! Are Christians ignorant? Yes, as ignorant of the things of God as the brute best."
- Prophet John Taylor, Journal of Discourses 13:225

"What does the Christian world know about God? Nothing... Why so far as the things of God are concerned, they are the veriest fools; they know neither God nor the things of God."
- John Taylor, Journal of Discourses 13:225

"Doctrines were corrupted, authority lost, and a false order of religion took the place of the gospel of Jesus Christ, just as it had been the case in former dispensations, and the people were left in spiritual darkness." (p. 266). "For hundreds of years the world was wrapped in a veil of spiritual darkness, until there was not one fundamental truth belonging to the place of salvation ...Joseph Smith declared that in the year 1820 the Lord revealed to him that all the 'Christian' churches were in error, teaching for commandments the doctrines of men."
- Prophet Joseph Fielding Smith, Doctrines of Salvation, vol. 3, p.282

"...the Book of Mormon remains secure, unchanged and unchangeable, ...But with the Bible it was not and is not so....it was once in the sole and exclusive care and custody of an abominable organization (Christianity), founded by the devil himself, likened prophetically unto a great whore, whose great aim and purpose was to destroy the souls of men in the name of religion. In these hands it ceased to be the book it once was."
- Apostle Bruce R. McConkie, The Joseph Smith Translation, pp. 12, 13

"And also those to whom these commandments were given, might have power to lay the foudation of this (Mormon) church, and to bring it forth out of obscurity and out of darkness, the only true and living church upon the face of the whole earth..."
- Supposedly Jesus Christ Himself, Doctrine and Covenants 1:30

Salvation not through accepting Jesus Christ, but Joseph Smith?

[There is] "no salvation without accepting Joseph Smith. If Joseph Smith was verily a prophet, and if he told the truth...no man can reject that testimony without incurring the most dreadful consequences, for he cannot enter the kingdom of God"
- Joseph Fielding Smith, Doctrines of Salvation, vol. 1, p.190

"No man or woman in this dispensation will ever enter into the celestial kingdom of God without the consent of Joseph Smith...every man and woman must have the certificate of Joseph Smith, junior, as a passport to their entrance into the mansion where God and Christ are"
- Prophet Birgham Young, Journal of Discourses, vol. 7, p.289

"He that confesseth not that Jesus has come in the flesh and sent Joseph Smith with the fullness of the Gospel to this generation, is not of God, but is anti-christ"
- Prophet Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, vol. 9, p.312

"If we get our salvation, we shall have to pass by him [Joseph Smith]; if we enter our glory, it will be through the authority he has received. We cannot get around him [Joseph Smith]"
- Prophet George Q. Cannon, as quoted in 1988 Melchizedek Priesthood Study Guide, p. 142

"I tell you, Joseph holds the keys, and none of us can get into the celestial kingdom without passing by him. We have not got rid of him, but he stands there as the sentinel, holding the keys of the kingdom of God.. But I tell you, the pinch will be with those that have mingled with us, stood next to us, weighed our spirits, tried us, and proven us: there will be a pinch, in my view, to get past them. The others, perhaps, will say, If brother Joseph is satisfied with you, you may pass. If it is all right with him, it is all right with me. Then if Joseph shall say to a man, or if brother Brigham say to a man, I forgive you your sins, "Whosoever sins ye remit they are remitted unto them;" if you who have suffered and felt the weight of transgression—if you have generosity enough to forgive the sinner, I will forgive him: you cannot have more generosity than I have. I have given you power to forgive sins, and when the Lord gives a gift, he does not take it back again."
- Apostle Orson Hyde, Journal of Discourses, Vol. 6, p.154

("What Real Mormons Said About Real Christians," posted by "Deconstructor," on "Recovery from Mormonism" bulletin board, 31 December 2002, at: http://www.exmormon.org/mormon/mormon162.htm)
_____

RESEARCH NOTE on sourcing this kind of valuable data: Decon adds, "I looked these up myself. My sources: I use Gosepl Link, Infobase and New Mormon Studies CD-ROM and lds.org to search for references. Any church reference after 1970 comes from the church's own website - like the 1988 Melchizedek Priesthood Study Guide quote. All the others, including Journal of Discources can be found on Gospel Link and New Mormon Studies CD-ROM. If there is a web site with this information, let me know and I'll reference it in the future."

Edited 12 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2011 05:45PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ablmu65 ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 04:05PM

These are the things that Mitt R. needs to answer for. A big billboard with Mitt's face.

with some of these statements followed by "And I am a Mormon".

It never ceases to amaze me the things that have been said and yet most will never know or admit that they have come from the so called mouths of God.

Thank you for posting this.

Posted by: Smiling Dog ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 04:48PM

Nice list! I hope there is no problem with my using it for future reference. This is perfect.

Posted by: nonmo ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 05:00PM

When I read stuff like this:

""Christianity...is a perfect pack of nonsense...the devil could not invent a better engine to spread his work than the Christianity of the nineteenth century." (Journal of Discourses, vol. 6, p.167); "Where shall we look for the true order or authority of God? It cannot be found in any nation of Christendom."
- Prophet John Taylor, Journal of Discourses, 10:127"

I think to myself...Pot -- Kettle -- BLACK

Posted by: ed wood ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 05:42PM

Thanks Steve and Deconstructor for such great work. This is excellent and very helpful I wish there was some way it could be shouted from the roof tops. I'll use it for future reference too.

keep up the good work.

Posted by: runningyogi ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 05:54PM

Thank You Steve. All those years when I played with my non-Mormon/Christian friends not realization my church denounced them. I'm embarrassed for being led along, all those years in blindness.

Posted by: A ANON ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 06:27PM

The one common tie that units Christians, Jews and Muslims is the belief in ONE GOD; These are all the followers of Abraham. It is Pagans who believe in numerous Gods.

But the fundamental doctrine and mortal motivation of all Mormonism is this:

“As man now is, God once was; and as God now is man may become.“

Mormons must believe that there are potentially “worlds without number and Gods without number“. The concept is fundamental to their temple ceremony. Mormon temples prepare members to become Gods someday.

There is nothing surprising in this. In the last November General Conference the congregation sang out their belief in multiply Gods four times over:

“…mingling with GODS he [Joseph Smith] shall plan for his brethren…”

General Christianity can bend so far in accepting others among its ranks, but in accepting the idea of multiple Gods, Christianity would have to sacrifice all of its identity and its foundational doctrine from Father Abraham. If Mormons become accepted among Christians, Christians will have to embrace paganism to do it -- paganism and Christianity however will always contradict each other.

Are Mormons Christians? -- only if Christians aren’t.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 07:48PM

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2011 07:51PM by steve benson.

Posted by: rj ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 07:51PM

Being told you aren't a Christian is a compliment rather than an insult.

Posted by: Mormons with a Complex ( )
Date: October 25, 2011 08:06PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.