Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GayLayAle ( )
Date: October 27, 2011 03:16PM

Usually the "no cross-gender dressing" is printed in HUGE BOLD LETTERS.

Because God forbid I show up wearing a dress and heels and a pair of giant fake tits. That might corrupt the children's fragile little minds.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: October 27, 2011 03:18PM

...they didn't start putting that on the invitation until after the first year we moved in. It started after the *gasp* GAY COUPLE moved into the neighborhood.

Don't know if the addendum to the invitation about no crossdressing was added because of us, but I found it interesting (and a neighbor pointed this out) that it never showed up on the invite until DH and I moved into the neighborhood.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2011 03:19PM by GayLayAleJesus.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: October 27, 2011 04:05PM

And they only comprise a very small and specific percentage of the gay community, from my understanding.

Date: October 27, 2011 04:18PM

Usually, the ignorance is so turned up that being a gay man automatically makes you a drag queen, leather daddy, and a pederast (there is nothing wrong with drag queens and leather daddies by the way)

Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: October 27, 2011 03:20PM

There are people starving in this world, unemployed, in need of assistance, facing war, genocide, racial and religious hostility, illness, cancer, rape...

But, Mormon God cares about malls, "cross-gender dressing" and halloween costumes?

Really? Very unimpressive. How about a flyer that says "love your neighbor" or "feed the homeless" in big bold letters?

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: October 27, 2011 03:57PM

And they get to feel righteous about it. That's one of the benefits of religion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2011 03:58PM by Stray Mutt.

Posted by: order66 ( )
Date: October 27, 2011 03:24PM

They've had those rules at our trunk or treats for as long as I can remember. Never understood either of them.

Posted by: BrightAqua ( )
Date: October 27, 2011 03:24PM

So, does that mean that girls can't wear jeans or their boyfriends' shirts?

It has always seemed to me that transgender dressing applies to males only.

Posted by: matilda ( )
Date: October 27, 2011 03:39PM

I agree with you ANGSTY. If these people got out of there NO BRAINS CONE OF CONFORMITY and looked at what really is happening we might have A MODICUM of respect.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: October 27, 2011 04:02PM

Shoot, I would think a Brigham Young or Joseph Smith Mask would be hot (Monson would be terrifying).

Now tell me, what's the difference between putting on a beard and some stuff and looking like Abe Lincoln or a mask of our 16th president?

Typically as nutso as most things Mormon...

Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: October 27, 2011 04:09PM

I saw that too, and I have the perfect thing to post along with it. Ladies and gentlemen, introducing the famous "Madam Pattarini" (aka Brigham Morris Young, crossdresser and 35th son of Mormon Leader Brigham Young)
http://zagria.blogspot.com/2008/11/brigham-morris-young.html

Apparently she was quite a sensation in her day; I think it would be awesome to revive the tradition and have her sing at the next stake conference ;)

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: October 27, 2011 04:59PM

Very fascinating. Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: elee ( )
Date: October 27, 2011 05:06PM

Not my bag. :)

Last year, my son was Sir Bedevere and I was Tim the Enchanter from Monty Python's Holy Grail.

This year, we are going as Green Day. I get to be Billie Joe, the boy gets to be Tre Cool and DH gets to be Mike Dirnt.

Good thing I a) do NOT live in Utah Valley anymore and b) loathe Trunk 'r Treat and c) am female, cuz apparently it's all good for women to dress up as men, just not the opposite.

I wonder what the Marminz would think of the year I went as Jesus. :D

Posted by: cam127 ( )
Date: October 27, 2011 09:33PM

I'm in my 50s and this has been an unspoken rule for my whole life. We all knew we weren't to dress in any way in costumes specific for the opposite gender. For example, as a girl I knew that I shouldn't dress as Jack from Jack in the Beanstalk. (Or Dracula, etc.) And boys shouldn't dress as a witch, or Pocahontas, etc. They just didn't have the "transgender" vocabulary yet. This isn't really new or newly anti gay. The church is just very patriarchal and they have never felt comfortable in changing gender rolls. I'm sure its roots are anti gay. We also knew we weren't allowed to wear masks or "satanic" costumes

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.