Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: October 28, 2011 03:38AM

Hmm what's this? A new low for the RCC. Apparently, the church helped Spain's then Gen. Franco steal newborn babies from their mothers to give to his loyalists between 1950 to 1980. From a BBC docu:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/around-the-world-abc-news/ninos-rabados-spain-stolen-children-135154171.html

Has the Mo cult been known to kidnap children in any way, shape or form for some reason or other? The Temple child sacrifices rumour is so out there as to lose credibility so I don't think that counts. I'm interested in comparing atrocities by both churches.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mateo Pastor ( )
Date: October 28, 2011 05:52AM

Older people tell me the BBC was once one of the world's leading news media, but it is ridiculously ignorant of the outside world nowadays. It cannot even report on Paris without first explaining it's the capital of France. A neighbouring country within a daytripper's distance!

And yes, Franco stole kids. Like Videla, Pinochet, and Stroessner, to name a few.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: October 28, 2011 11:52AM

Mateo Pastor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Regarding "...it [the BBC] is ridiculously ignorant of the outside world nowadays. It [The BBC] cannot even report on Paris without first explaining it's the capital of France. A neighbouring country within a daytripper's distance!"
>

Or, the BBC realizes that what it publishes gets read the world round and they actually are highly aware that what they publish may be read by someone living in Paris, Texas, or Paris, New York, or any of the different Parises that exist. Because of this, they may well be fully aware that they need to specify which Paris they are talking about.

http://www.paris.com/footer/the_other_paris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2011 11:53AM by MJ.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 08:10PM

Does BBC know its American audience or what ?

Americans don't know shit about geography but they sure claim to know their christian bible.

Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: October 28, 2011 06:01AM

Are you saying this is old news and not the breaking news it's paraded around to be? Interesting that Christiane Amanpour has picked it up as her feature story.

Also, has the LDS cult ever engaged in similar dastardly deeds?

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: October 28, 2011 07:00AM

It doesn't sound like breaking news to me. She is talking about a documentary which is being aired and never said that this baby stealing is something that has just been discovered.

Posted by: anon for this ( )
Date: October 28, 2011 08:17AM

A similar program occurred in the United States during the same time.

http://www.cwla.org/articles/cv0203indianadopt.htm

"The policy of assimilation took a more aggressive tone in the 1950s, '60s, and '70s, when thousands of Indian children were removed from their families by missionaries or social workers and placed in foster homes or with non-Indian adoptive parents. Tribal officials, family members, and the Indian community were usually excluded from these placement decisions."

I don't know how much Mormon involvement there was in the Indian Adoption Project. I do remember as a child my parents talking about adopting a "lamanite" child.

Posted by: utahmonomore ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 08:03PM

I was born in Spain, on an American military base in the 60s. Anyway, my mom still tells me that IF I had been born a boy, then I would have been forced into the Spanish Army at about age 12. Well, considering that we were there twice, and I hated every second of living in that horrible place..In the 60s, and again in the 70s, I think they would have given me an "unfit for duty" stamp as I was ADD/ADHD, and emotionally traumatized by my whole world getting ripped out from under me when we had to leave the states to go back there in the 70s for 3 more years. Seemed like every weekend I spent crying cause I missed the states so much. I still wonder WHAT would have happened to me IF girls had been forced to serve in Francos Army, AND how would they have handled my emotional instability and hyperctivity issues. I was a D to F student,learning disabled, etc, I would like to think that living in that horrible place took its toll on me. From a B student in the states to Ds and Fs. I did not know Spanish language, I didnt understand it even though we were forced by the school to learn it, which I didnt no matter hw hrd I "tried" and I just did NOT adjust to any of that life. I was so glad when we finally PCSd back here! ANy thoughts on this? Just wondering?

Posted by: OwnRules ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 09:06PM

Yes.

What your Mother told you was plain BS -- there was never a draft in Spain for 12 year old.

As for the rest of your screed, other than being extraordinarily xenophobic, what does it have to do with the topic at hand?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.