Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: miserable in utah county ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 02:34PM

I'm in Utah County and there are a ton of physically active women in my area. What cracks me up is that they use exercising as an opportunity to wear short shorts and tank tops. The kicker is during the warmer months I see them sporting their exercise gear all day long! Aren't they afraid they are going to get ran over by a car if they aren't wearing their Jesus Jammies?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 29, 2011 02:41PM

I actually thought I had to wear garments with exercise clothes and then one day the bishop actually stopped me and told me I didn't need to (he could see my garments through my white t-shirt. I wasn't exposing anything.) I thought that was a bit "odd."

Then I have some nonmo friends who live in the North Ogden area. Just moved there about 6 years ago. They said they see mormons running in shorts with their garments hanging out all the time--INCHES, not just a little sneak peek.

I saw more garments at Disneyland PEEKING out that anyone should ever even see in Utah.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2011 02:42PM by cl2.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 30, 2011 03:27AM

if I knew that I was going to be doing something that would make me soggy-sweaty (like working the the garden during hot weather), I did not wear garments because it seemed disrespectful to sweat like a lumberjack in them.

He assured me that we were to wear garmies at all times, even when sweaty. Since I was still too new at the game to know that once the bishop said something, the thinking had been done, I put my foot down and insisted, in a mule-headed way, "I'm sorry, sir, but I disagree with you. Garments are too sacred to be sweated in. I refuse to treat them like that."

I think he was too stunned at my reply, he didn't answer.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: October 30, 2011 10:48AM

My mom used to be an avid jogger and would not wear garmies because she felt it was disrespectful to sweat in them. Never seemed to be an issue for her or the leaders.
My oldest sister, right before she left TSCC, didn't put hers on right away after doing some yardwork and next thing she knows, her bish is giving her shit about it. That and the green tea was the start of her saying, "Fuck this noise."

The longer I am away from this cult, the more crazy it looks from the outside. Adults do not need to be told when and where they have to wear uderwwear, not to mention what kind.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 30, 2011 10:54AM

The long undies are simply incompatible with modern life, and oftentimes the weather as well. If LDS, Inc. had a grain of common sense, they would reduce the underwear to a tank top and tap shorts. Or instead, give temple-worthy members a special sparkly lapel pin that they can show off to their friends and neighbors. Maybe they could get gemstone upgrades for so many temple visits, lol.

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: October 30, 2011 12:43PM

I just purchased my first proper underwear for 5 years, under the guise of needing them for the gym. It's true, I DO need them for the gym, but I shall be wearing them more often than that.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 30, 2011 12:55PM

In my single's ward, the bishop finally had to lay down the law and tell the sisters they couldn't wear skimpy exercise clothes every time we had an activity that was actually active. Girls were showing up in sports bras and bike shorts whenever we played volleyball or even at service projects like raking someone's yard. I mentioned this to an old BYU roommate of mine who was living in Salt Lake at the time, (back in the 90s) and she said they had the same problem in the single's ward in their stake. But it's not just those young, frisky singles.

A couple of years ago we went on a beach vacation with a member of the bishopric (we were still active and still friends at the time). His wife wore her swimsuit practically the whole week, even around the house, but she wore a t-shirt and shorts over it when she wasn't actually at the beach or pool. Anything to get out of the garments in the hot weather and get to wear real shorts. I finally heard her husband pull her aside and tell her to put the garments on ... she was setting a bad example. I'm surprised the vacation didn't end with them fighting. He dutifully wore his garments all week long.

We used to live next door to a Mormon woman who was very water-sports oriented and she'd garden and wash her car and her boats all the time in her swimsuit, with some shorts thrown on over. No one complained in fact, her husband held a high ward position for years and so did she. Personally, I think anyone will do anything to find a way to get out of those hideous, depressing garments when possible.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.