Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nowI'mfound ( )
Date: October 30, 2011 09:48AM

Remember how I said that because of family reasons we were still faking it at Church? Well, that's over now!!! My husband and I have decided that we're done with Church. We don't have the time, energy, or desire to do anything that isn't contributing positively to our lives anymore. The new policy for us and our kids is "You can go to whatever part of Church you want or to none at all." One son wants to keep going to Sunday School until January mainly because he likes the treats his teacher brings. After that, he says he's done. The other two don't want to go at all. As mentioned in a previous post, my DH and I will go just to teach our cute little Sunbeam class until Dec. 18th (the last day, YAY!). After that we're done!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mav ( )
Date: October 30, 2011 09:52AM

Posted by: Mrs. Solar Flare ( )
Date: October 30, 2011 10:08AM

So great for you family!!! Yes, once we realized that our responsibility as parents was to be POSITIVE for our children, all sorts of changes took place. And ALL have been without any outside ChurchCo influence. Good luck until 18 Dec.

Posted by: jazzskeeter ( )
Date: October 30, 2011 11:13AM

Have you told the bishop, so you will be released?

Date: October 30, 2011 11:49AM

Thanks all! Yes, we told the bishop several months ago that we wanted to be released at the end of this year. He doesn't realize that we're about to go AWOL. Guess he'll figure it out soon enough, ha!

Date: October 30, 2011 04:09PM

Thanks! This has been a long time coming. DH went anti 5 years ago but continued to come to church to make me happy. I went anti about 2 years ago, but we continued coming because one of our sons was into it. Now we're all anti. We've already endured the love bombings, but I went straight to the bishop and told him that it'd better stop. He kindly called off his minions. As for the "being released" thing, we're in this "calling" by choice--mainly so we don't have to be around the other ward members. We're there entirely on our terms. It's not a matter of being released. We told him we're done in December. Basically, we haven't been playing by the morg rules for a while--no tithing in 6 years, no worthiness interviews, no temple recommends, no activities, no answering when they call, no priesthood or RS attendance. I expect that once they realize we've all left, they'll try to step up the interventions. That should make for some good stories. For now we're all relaxing and enjoying our new Sundays!!

If I'd realized it was gonna be this great, I'd have done this years ago!!

Date: October 30, 2011 04:13PM

Oops! Sorry, that last post was supposed to go at the bottom of this thread. Not sure what happened there...

Posted by: tsawyer2 ( )
Date: October 30, 2011 08:47PM

Congratulations to you and your family! Please keep us posted as I'm sure once they realize you are AWOL the fireworks will happen.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: October 30, 2011 11:59AM

Good for you and your family.

Just a word of advice: talk to your kids about the potential for 'love bombing' and how they should respond to that or any questions/snarky comments from their friends or church leaders they may run into. Let them know you have their back and they should tell the curious to discuss any church activity with you first.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2011 12:00PM by caedmon.

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: October 30, 2011 12:33PM

Congratulations! I am always happy for couples who decide to leave together. There are all too many, myself included, who are split on the issue.

Posted by: FreeRose ( )
Date: October 30, 2011 01:20PM

Yay! I love reading these posts!

Your family will be so much better off without the controlling Morg in your lives!

Also, no more Tithing Settlement, personal "worthy" interviews, boring temple ceremonies or garmies.

Life is GOOD, Freedom is SWEET!

Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: October 30, 2011 01:27PM

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: October 30, 2011 01:45PM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 30, 2011 01:55PM

Are you a prisoner ? "released" makes it sound like you are a prisoner.
Just tell the bishop you are quitting. Stop using their lingo to imprison yourself.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 30, 2011 02:12PM

Congratulations - I spent this morning playing on Facebook, drinking coffee, helping my daughter sew a skirt and helping my son train the dog how to come when called. And watching Ghost Adventures. This afternoon our family has tickets to a play.

In other words, Sundays just keep getting better and better because you can play and do all the fun things you never had time to do and spend that one on one time with your kids. Welcome to freedom.

Posted by: presbyterian ( )
Date: October 30, 2011 04:31PM

Just a reminder that there are other churches out there. I can be a fun family adventure to see how other churches do church!

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: October 30, 2011 07:11PM

Great...quit just before Christmas. Maybe you will choose to go somewhere that celebrates the holiday - even just a Christmas eve. service someplace. anyhow, enjoy these last few Sunbeam classes and do anything but brainwash those little ones. Cheers!

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 04:21AM

Just wondering how you arrived at a December deadline? You are not in a job where it is required to give several weeks notice.

JUST QUIT GOING.

You know they won't let you leave in December and they'll keep bugging you to come back, no matter what you do.

Why waste more of your free time on the morg?

Just call them and tell them this was your last weekend and they need to find someone else. Then stop showing up.

Date: October 31, 2011 10:15AM

I'm only staying until December because we really like the little 3 & 4 year-olds we teach. I'm a kickass teacher and don't think it would be fair to stick them with some of the other people who've been called to primary lately--talk about bottom of the barrel, boring people with absolutely no teaching skills (basically because it's hard to get people to accept the request to teach primary). Being with that age group for the last 3 years had been the only redeeming quality of church. We asked for this job, and being occupied for those two hours each Sunday has been a huge sanctuary for us--especially during class time when it's just us. I don't mind hanging around for a few more weeks just to finish out my time with them. Seriously, they're that cute.

But understand, we CHOSE this calling (literally told the bishop this was one of the few jobs we'd do), we CHOSE the timeline (Don't release us until our son turns 18. Long story. He turns 18 in Feb so we'd have been released in Dec. regardless), and we are CHOOSING to stay just to have a few more weeks with 5 little kids we've really grown to love (there's a 6th kid, but we kinda want to push him off a cliff). As I've said before, we haven't been "under the control" of the morg for years. It's just taken a while, and a bit of adjusting, to decide what is best for our family and make that final leap.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 05:00PM

Wow. Sounds great to have a set plan with a deadline. Perhaps it would be benificial to prepare your resignations to hand in Dec 18th? You obviously know whats coming. Maybe resigning will head some of the "yourwrongimonies" off.

Posted by: Rod ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 05:03PM

of all the things I value the most now that I am an ex-mo, relaxing and doing fun things on Sunday is toward the top of the list. I cannot believe that I spent 40 years of meaningless clueless Sunday worshit. Sunday's are awesome now. Full of family and fun. You'll see the difference. No more dull boring meetings, etc.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.