Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Just Me ( )
Date: October 30, 2011 12:58PM

Hello,

First of all, I want to congratulate all of you here. You are very strong people and I applaud your efforts to leave what is a very oppressive cult.

I was born and raised Catholic, I embarked on a journey of self-discovery and I am not a Catholic today. In a way, I understand the difficulties of breaking through the shackles of oppression (though no where as bad as some of the mormons I've read/encountered).

I recently read the book "Under the Banner of Heaven", and started reading up on polygamy and the call for help of many women in the community. I am horrified about the brainwashing and abuse that women and children have to endure in the name of God. I found out about the documentary "Leaving Bountiful", but can't find it anywhere. It is not available on Netflix and is not available for sale outside of Canada. I would like to help, donate some time, spread the word, something. I'm just so horrified, and all this sponsored by our tax money! I want to help raise awareness about this. I'm not a mormon or ex-mormon, but truly moved by the brave stories of women like Debbie Palmer and Carolyn Jessop.

The local mormon church has started an advertisement campaing in my area (Phoenix, AZ) called "I am Mormon". You can see the billboards everywhere. I am afraid that the abuse is only going to increase if we don't show the other side of the coin.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: October 30, 2011 02:30PM

Hi Just Me. I agree with your reaction to FLDS polygamy. I too feel the pull to try and help.

The documentary 'Leaving Bountiful' is beautifully filmed and narrated. I attended the premiere of it in Canada, here on the West Coast. The largely nevermo audience sat in stunned silence at its conclusion. It's shocking if you've never heard of Bountiful-style polygamy before or seen examples of the harm it causes. Another stunning moment for the audience was seeing how many wives, but especially children, some of the leaders had and hearing one of them say that each year all of his newborn children are named using the same first letter of the alphabet (eg: in 1958, say, all the children's names start with 'D'). He looked pleased with this system, like he thought it was clever, but to outsiders it starkly revealed the lack of individuality the children endure in such a system.

I was privileged to meet Debbie Palmer, a strong, bright woman, committed to helping the FLDS women and children, who has lived through a longstanding nightmare growing up in Bountiful and at the age of 15 "marrying" an FLDS leader decades older than herself who already had four wives and dozens of children.

Carolyn Jessop's book 'Escape' gives another view of living with the FLDS, and getting away from them. It's well worth picking up if you haven't read it.

Re the availability of the Cdn documentary, I'll check into that for you. Perhaps I could get it forwarded on to you somehow if it's still available. It's worth seeing. I'll let you know...

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: October 30, 2011 06:26PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-iIOWOblW0

This film will give you information about polygamy as well as a good feel for polygamy and its inherent problems.

Other books which may interest you:

"Church of Lies" by Flora Jessop
Once Flora Jessop was finally free of polygamist clutches, she risked her life and safety to help others escape. She stood up to the pro-polygamy bullies in law enforcement who were determined not to enforce the law. Flora tells it like it is. The book is a page-turner!

"Shattered Dreams: My Life as a Polygamist’s Wife" – Irene Spencer
Because this book is free of the details of the characteristic sexual abuse experiences which are recounted in other books, this book is less intense.

"Wife #19" by Anne Eliza Young (BTW, she was actually BY’s wife #52.) Compelling, convincing, revolting account of Brigham Young and of Mormon polygamy of that time. Eliza Anne was the only one of BY’s 56 wives who dared to speak out about polygamy and how she had been treated. She became a successful and sought-after speaker. She was an amazing woman for her day.

"Lost Boy" by Brent Jeffs
The author, along with many other boys, was sodomized by his notorious uncle Warren Jeffs at age 5-6. It was when Brent’s brother (another young victim of Jeffs) committed suicide that Brent began to talk out about polygamist atrocities.
Brent Jeffs also appeared on this episode of Doris Hansen’s "Polygamy: What Love is This?" program, if you are interested:
http://www.aboutpolygamy.com/ep249.htm

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: October 30, 2011 07:21PM

...more attention needs to be paid to the fact that the "reguluh LDS" ain't so very far away from the FLDS! Certainly much closer than the Salt Lake City bunch would want you to believe.

They both worship Joseph Smith and they both do the blind obedience to the profit thing...

Posted by: matilda ( )
Date: October 30, 2011 08:21PM

I so agree. Most of the men with only one wife feel deprived and are looking forward to exaltation WITH WOMEN WITHOUT END TO POPULATE THEIR PLANET. I know this as I watched the smirks from them. They always used to say. OH I CANT EVEN HANDLE ONE WIFE. LUST abounds in the mainstream church and the eyes certainly rove. Once one wife is dead it is a nano second before a young fertile replacement is found. My ex stake prez. had an asian bride flown inand at60 will start a new clan. First wife 9 second wife who knows. When you marry in the mormon temple you are signing up for polygamy. Read D &C 132. It is all their women are still considered BREEDERS for the KINGDOM.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.