Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: RAG ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 09:15AM

I've always found this "spiritual gift" amusing because I have the ability to do it fluently. I have no reason to think that the speaking in tongues referred to in D&C 46:24 (or that described in the book of Acts) is any different from my gibberish.

So, should I add "Adamic" to my languages on Facebook?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 02:32PM

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=MlfxBbuY4aUC&pg=PA139&lpg=PA139&dq=speaking+in+tongues+mormons+the+story+of+william+linn&source=bl&ots=ZSkV80AFAJ&sig=rvG9VZubZROdQ-Brvcsk2LRqdBo&hl=en&ei=x-auTs6BM4_Y8QOVuJ2lCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCIQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

'In January 1833, Smith announced a revival of the "gift of tongues" and instituted the ceremony of washing the feet. Under the new system, Smith or Rigdon, during a meeting, would call on some brother, or sister, saying "Father A., if you will rise in the name of Jesus Christ you can speak in tongues." The rule which person thus called on were to follow was thus explained, "Arise upon your feet, speak or make some sound. Continue to make sounds of some kind, and the Lord will make a language of it." It was not necessary that the words should be understood by the congregation: some other Mormon would undertake their interpretation. Much ridicule was incurred by the Church because of this revelation. Gunnison relates that when a women "speaking in tongues" pronounced "meliar, meli, melee," it was at once translated by a young wag "my leg, my thigh, my knee," and, when he was called before the Council charged with irreverence he persisted with his translation, but got off with an admonition. At a meeting in Nauvoo, in later years a doubting convert delivered an address in real Choctaw, whereupon a woman jumped up and offered as a translation an account of the glories of the new temple.'

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.