Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nonmo ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 12:22PM

I will be coaching my son's basketball team and the leaque does not seem to have enough schools/rec center for each team to practice.

I've heard that some mormon churches and/or stake centers have basketball courts.

Would it be worthwhile to call them and ask them if I can use thier court for practicing?

While I'm not, nor never been a mormon, I assume that some kids on my team are.

thx for any info on this

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2011 12:22PM by nonmo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: October 31, 2011 03:42PM

topping..

Posted by: Stunted ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 04:12PM

I'm one county south and here they lock the gates to the ball field behind the church. This is to keep the local little league foot ball teams from practicing on Church property.

I imagine it's a liability thing. A couple of years ago one coach, a member of the stake, asked permission of the Stake Athletic director to use the field for practice. He said no problem. Well the Stake President was driving by and saw the kids practicing. He stopped, got out of his car and proceeded to give it to the coach with both righteous barrels. The poor coach tried to defend himself by pointing out that he had asked permission but you know how well Stake Presidents like being contradicted....Later that week there were shinny new chains and locks on the gates.

I wonder if that coach still pays tithing?

Date: October 31, 2011 04:26PM

Kind of what I thought. Thx for the info.

Nice to know that mormons tithing money has been put to such good use....

Posted by: Drew90 ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 04:48PM

When I played jr jazz here in salt lake county as a kid we practiced in a church a couple times when I was on a team. It won't hurt to try to ask.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 04:58PM

is if you have a kid from a family in very good standing at one of the churches that has a court and having that family ask.

Date: October 31, 2011 06:05PM

I thought about that but still for me...asking someone what religion they are, (or "Are you LDS?")
is still rude for me to ask...(boundaries and all..)

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 06:20PM

but here is a question you might ask in an email to parents "Does anyone know of a court, in a school, church, club, etc. that may be available?" Then if you get a bite from someone talking about the LDS church, you could get them to ask the bishop.

Posted by: J. Chan ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 06:25PM

When I was a kid the churches were more or less open gyms, but that really has changed.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 07:02PM

The church used to brag that their facilities were "community centers." This was back in the 70's. In 2006 I shopped around for a venue for an event promoting schools and the only religion that was helpful were the Catholics. They gave us the whole high school gym, including kitchen.

The LDS excuse was that it wasn't policy.

More corporate lingo, less compassion.

Anagrammy

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.