Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cskawi ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 02:12PM

I left the church with my formal letter not to long ago. I'm only 20 and left from a tbm family. I left before the convants and endowments. The only thing I did in the temple was the baptisms for the dead as a youth. With the temple ceremonies being so secret I don't know exactly what certain topics are about. I wanted to know if anyone had links or information that I could read so I could get a better understanding of what happens in the temple. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: October 31, 2011 02:13PM

I have found some info on google but just wanted some opinions on any good sources too,

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 02:16PM

Richard Packham gave me this link a couple of days ago, when I was looking for the washing and anointings ceremony changes:

http://packham.n4m.org/endow90.htm

Date: October 31, 2011 02:20PM

Thanks for the link , lots of info

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 02:25PM

Too bad. You missed out on one of the most bewildering experiences of mormonhood. To go your whole life thinking the church is normal and sensible, then in the period of one hour come out saying "what the f___ kind of cult have I gotten myself into?" Then over the next few days go to the effort of convincing yourself that there's nothing wrong with the ceremony after all, and that's it's actually a much needed spiritual boost. Then after going several times you truly believe it, followed by a lifetime of pay lay ales (oh God, hear the words of my mouth).

I don't know of any links, sorry. I experienced it first-hand too many times to care about watching it on video, but I'm sure it's an easy google find.

Date: October 31, 2011 02:32PM

Yeah its weird to hear about the ceremonies and know my family participated in them. Growing up as a kid it doesn't seem weird with the church. I guess I thought there was enough wrong without the ceremonies to leave. If I didn't leave now I'm sure I would of after experiencing that in the temple.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 02:45PM

This is an excellent link for this topic http://www.ldsendowment.org/

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 03:48PM

As if explaining dead dunkings wasn't embarrassing enough to my never-mo friends.

When I decided to resign, I found this site and a few others detailing the endowment and wedding ceremony. And mormon's think pagans are bizarre for their rituals. I didn't know about the freakish baker hats or veils until the last couple of years when I came back to this site.

When my sister married this past summer, I explained the whole ceremony to her fiancee as we were driving up Pikes Peak. My sister had been endowed, as she went on a mission, but didn't know about all the pre-1990 changes. She missed out on the fun of pantomiming her death. Her (never-mo) wife was absolutely aghast at I what I relayed and gasped, "Did you brother and his wife REALLY do that when they married? I mean, SIL seems so smart and NORMAL to do such a thing!!!"

Crazy ass cult.

Posted by: Charlie ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 04:31PM

Utah Lighthouse Ministries or the successor sells an inexpensive book that contains the whole thing, word for word. It includes conparisons of various versions.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 04:38PM

See also a video lecture: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXNeMYwEaIQ "Mormon Temple Rituals", about 75 minutes long.

Posted by: wirehead ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 06:06AM

Hmm. A bit hard for me to follow the video as I'm hard of hearing...

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 11:17AM

wirehead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hmm. A bit hard for me to follow the video as I'm
> hard of hearing...

Then read the article on which the lecture was based, at http://packham.n4m.org/temples.htm

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 11:35AM

Lord.raptor.isgod@gmail.com

Posted by: wirehead ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 03:24PM

Could only get partway through before my mind decided to try to unhinge itself. This shit is downright crazy fucked up. Whoever thought this up HAD to have been consuming jimson weed or something, and those mercury vapors from the hat didnt help.

And I thought baptisms for the dead were weird, like why the hell should I baptize for someone who cast their dice at time of death and made whatever choice(s) that will land them with whatever path that they get to take, like it or not? It's. BULLSHIT, is what it is.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.