Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Holy the Ghost ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 02:16PM

Doctors, lawyers, psychiatrists, Priests, Rabbis, etc keep confidences. It part of the definition of being a professional. If I confess to my rabbi or psychiatrist, I can assume it goes no further.
What does the CHI say about clergy-member confidentiality?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 02:22PM

I have a copy of the CHI - 2010. Yes, leaders are instructed to maintain confidences, BUT, in reality, it is not like the Catholic Church where things go to the grave, and the confessional is sancrosanct.

I was a HC for a few years, and things get passed around like you would not believe. It's disgusting. If you wish to ensure that a mormon church leader maintains your secrets in confidence, do not tell him!! Plain and simple. In fact, Bishops will need to consult with the SP on many things, and even higher. Records are maintained that get sent to SLC HQ and will never go away.

Posted by: Holy T ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 03:01PM

does it mention any possible consequences for a bishop or SP who betrays confidences.
I know in practice confidences are not practiced. I can list off many many friends and family members who have been betrayed. I've sat in PEC meetings where confessions were discussed.
Had a cousin (adult, engaged) confess to her bishop regarding petting. Bishop phoned her parents and fiances parents. Unbelievable.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 06:04PM

Posted by: Dawkins ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 03:03PM

Also they get discussed at home, then everywhere else.

If it does stay confidential, the open shaming like forbidding the penitant to partake of the sacrament usually keys everyone else in. Might as well hand out "Scarlet A's"

Posted by: peregrine ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 03:08PM

I know of a situation where a bishop was sharing secrets with his wife who was the RS pres. It came out when a friend of mine, one of her counselors, blew the whistle. Both the Bishop and the RS got released from their callings.
My friend found out becuase she was a RS counselor. They were trying to fill a teaching position and the RS president refused to consider a sister because of something the bishop, her husband, had told her that should have never left his office.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2011 03:12PM by peregrine.

Posted by: Stunted ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 04:46PM

"because of something the bishop, her husband, had told her that should have never left his office."

It's well accepted and even expected that a bishop will warn his subordinates about certain people who shouldn't be called on to pray or substitute teach Primary or Sunday School etc. I saw this happen several time in PEC and Ward council meetings. It was always qualified with something like: "I can't reveal details but make sure all your teachers know that little Johnny Wanker shouldn't be called on to pay in class".

Of course this information is shared with only the eternal salvation of the targeted individual in mind. "It's for his own good". Reminds me of the song from Don Quixote "I'm only thinking of him".

Stunted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2011 04:47PM by Stunted.

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 05:52PM

there is no specific penalty for disclosures. not like the Catholic church.

And yes, I can attest to the fact that I have been outed as less active and not to be called on for anything.

Recently my neighbor told me he had asked to have me called as to do something in HP group. He was turned down and was told I was not fully active and worthy. Huh?? Not worthy? Have I sinned by knowing it's a crock? I guess I am a danger.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 06:27PM

Local Church Leaders leak things all the time, except the stuff they really should - like telling the police about paedophiles.

Posted by: orphan ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 06:42PM

I remember that it was announced in PH meeting when a person was disfellowshipped or exed, or if they were not allowed to take part in a meeting. One woman was exed three times and kept coming back. I was disfellowshipped back in the 70s and it was announced in PH and RS. Was required to come to every meeting for three months, but could not take part. At the time I worked as a janitor at the stake center. I lost my job as a result of being disfellowshipped

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.