Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: another guy ( )
Date: October 31, 2011 11:59PM

News article:

"Steve Jobs’ sister Mona Simpson shared in the eulogy she delivered at the late Apple CEO‘s memorial service that his surprising final words from his deathbed were, “Oh wow, oh wow, oh wow.”
. . .

"She concluded her eulogy by sharing Jobs’ final moments, which were spent staring lovingly at his family, and his final three monosyllabic words as he stared into the distance past their shoulders: OH WOW. OH WOW. OH WOW."

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/steve-jobs-final-words-shared-sister-eulogy-060321674.html

Is it just something that the brain makes up, or do we see something, perhaps of another dimension?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 12:16AM

In hell they were all using Windoze machines with two button mice and everyone is always complaining about their programs crashing and nobody is getting anything done...

In heaven it's all Macs and iPads and iPhones... But the male residents are secretly jealous because the guys in hell have the really gory games when they can get their machines to work...

SLC
Senior missionary in the one true church of the one-button mouse...

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 12:44AM

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 12:44AM

When my dad was dying, he was given palliative/end-of-life type medications - morphine, benzos and what not. He muttered a lot of interesting things.

I suspect anyone would on those sorts of drugs.

Perhaps Steve Jobs was on a similar trip?

Posted by: What is Wanted ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 12:47AM

and he was probably tripping balls. The brain produces one of the most powerful hallucinogens known to mankind.

He probably was seeing some awesome stuff as his light was being turned off.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 05:59PM

Exactly. Anybody would say "oh wow" on a DMT trip.

Posted by: lazarus ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 12:54AM

Steve goes up to St Peter and exclaims "Peter, what is with that pearl. Brushed alluminum is hot, we should go for that. And while we are at it, can we please not call them gates?

Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 07:58AM

LOL! +1 and a "Like" for your post.

Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 08:00AM

Could be tripping on painkillers, or that thing the brain does just before it says "Adieu".

Posted by: another guy ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 09:06AM

If it was a side-effect from pain-killers, wouldn't one 'be tripping' on them at other times - not just when nearing death? When I was a teenager, I got some heavy-duty doses of morphine when I was hospitalized after a motorcycle accident, but I didn't hallucinate. Maybe it wasn't enough morphine.

If it's something the brain does 'before it says adieu' that would be a trip itself. Many people have seen something like this in dying patients, and different cultures have traditions that - when people die - they see relatives or others who have passed away before.

When I die, I would like to see my two dead children again. If it's just a hallucination, that'd be OK too, because I would have at least a moment of happiness again before my brain shuts down.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 09:40AM

[removed.... wrongly placed]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2011 09:41AM by EssexExMo.

Date: November 01, 2011 09:41AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2011 09:42AM by EssexExMo.

Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 09:13AM

Not to be disrespectful, but if wasn't on ENOUGH med's, he might have been saying: "Oh! Ow! Oh! Ow! Oh! Ow!"

Posted by: peregrine ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 09:14AM

Your eyes have more rods and cones in the center than around the edges. As your eyes start to lose the blood supply, since there are more rods and cones in the middle, those areas stay active longer as the edges fade away. The perception is that of a light at the end of a tunnel. In reality it's just your periferal rods and cones shutting down before the inner rods and cones. I've experienced this a couple times in high G-amusement park rides. It's really cool to understand the physiology behind it but still see the "light at the end of the tunnel" that all the near death stories tell.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2011 09:15AM by peregrine.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 09:32AM

The person's brain is FAILING, why trust what comes from a brain that is in the process of failing?

Never mind that something like "OH WOW. OH WOW. OH WOW" is so ambiguous that even speculating about it is nonsense. another guy, you asked "What did Steve Jobs see?" which means that you started this discussion assuming that the "OH WOW. OH WOW. OH WOW" had something to do with what he saw. The thing is, it might not have had anything to do with what he saw, perhaps it was something he felt, a tingle throughout his body, or a feeling of release, for example.

Date: November 01, 2011 09:42AM

Subspace - a BDSM term for a pain/pleasure induced dump of opioid peptides (enkephalins, endorphins & dynorphins) produced by the body, is supposed to be a similar 'high'.

some of the experiences described by subs, while in subspace is similar to descriptions of NDE's

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 10:49AM

another guy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is it just something that the brain makes up, or do we see something, perhaps of another dimension?

I do think that another dimension was opening up for him. I don't have proof for it, that's just my opinion and belief. I'm glad for his sake that his passing was apparently peaceful, comforting, and pleasing to him.

Posted by: seeking peace ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 12:15PM

Thanks for saying this!

Posted by: Rod ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 12:19PM

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 12:35PM

I think that it is certainly possible that he was viewing another dimension-afterlife. These experiences are common. I'm not dicounting it.

Posted by: nickerickson ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 01:48PM

+1

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 05:52PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2011 05:52PM by steve benson.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 06:00PM

It's a belief based on what I've read and personally experienced. My mom told me what she was seeing just before she died. I felt her presence a few weeks after she died (sitting on my bed, stroking the hair off of my forehead, sitting in a pool of light such as I've never experienced before or since.) I've also felt pets next to me, jumping on my bed, etc. My mom used to feel my dad sleeping beside her.

You can explain it however you like, Steve -- that's your privilege. But I do believe in an afterlife. If I'm wrong about it, I'll never know. ;-)

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 06:03PM

Your experiences can be, and have been, scientifically and reasonably explained.

I know that comes as a bummer for supernatural enthusiasts who are bound and determined to believe, no matter what the evidence counter-indicates.

After all, it's a lot more fun to suspend disbelief and conjure up the imagination as the explanation.

That is, as you say, your privilege.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2011 06:09PM by steve benson.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 06:09PM

I am not as sure as you are, but there are too many stories like this to just dismiss them as hallucinations or drug induced. It seems to me to completely close your mind to the possibility is not very logical. An opinion is one thing but to say that you know this is part of the process of death and has nothing to do with an afterlife is a bit arrogant and shortsided. What happened to looking at everything and keeping your mind a little bit open-even if you think it is unlikely?

To answer some of the points made above. Job's words may have been ambiguous, but there are many, many others which are not. The persons gives some details of who or what he sees. This isn't the result of a tingle or even a death related orgasm.It is specific and involves more than a tunnel of light. Often the person is lucid, so it is unlikely to be an hallucination. As far as being a product of painkillers, it seems that the experience would be ongoing and not always happen only at the point of death.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2011 06:10PM by bona dea.

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 11:06AM

seeing the next big Apple project. It will be called
I-Steve. The Jobster is not gone. He's just gone electronic.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 12:48PM

Could be caused by the brain and body shutting down, or medications. I don't think anyone knows for sure.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 12:57PM

He looks at the 3 most important groups of people in his life, and says Oh Wow three times, as he knows he is about to lose his grip on consciousness. He then lets go, and fades into the labored breathing of death.

Complicated, no. Touching, yes.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 06:07PM

Posted by: nickerickson ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 01:47PM

He saw Jesus and God using Windows and what they didn't get was the end of his sentence ".....I can't believe you are using Windows. I am so hooking you up when I get there."

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 01:54PM

I think he may have seen a huge message stating 'Error 404'

A personal message to him from god, Bill Gates.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 05:08PM

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 05:32PM

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 06:01PM

iHalo 3G

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.