Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: RAG ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 10:01AM

In days of old each tribe had their totem spirit or animal. As human groups grew they developed gods.

Not only is a god the alleged source of blessings and curses but the target of prayers and rituals, a figurehead, an idealized and elevated member of the tribe.

Eventually the group projects all kinds of traits onto this being. The traits tell more about the worshippers than about the god.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Holbrook ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 10:02AM

People definitely create gods in their own image. If you want to know what kind of person you are dealing with, look at their god.

Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 12:00PM

Not only did ancient people create gods to explain natural or unexplainable events, but the whole sacrifice thing is suspect to me; kill a goat and leave on a hilltop altar for an unseen (and powerful and sometimes pissed off) entity for what reason? So the god can eat it! That's the only explaination for that.

We pay taxes today to pay for military, fire and police to protect us, a sacrifice. Tithing is just an updated sacrifice to feed the angry god.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 12:03PM

Same with tithing.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 12:07PM

Gods have been used and created in a variety of ways. To say that it was only a personification of the community removes a lot of spiritual beliefs. I would say that if there is any, almost universal, trait in the gods of the world it would be the desire to create some sort of theological theory of existence.

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 12:35PM

I think the original poster is correct. Gods reflect the cultural values and understanding of the people who believe in them. I agree that Gods are used to explain the unknown. They are a working "hypothesis" until a more accurate understanding can be achieved. They are a way to communicate the moral standards of the tribe in story form, which makes it easier for them to be internalized and remembered.

Date: November 01, 2011 01:01PM

The fact that a god takes on the traits of the community that created or adopted it seems indisputable. My take however is that gods don't have to be representative of their believers. The Christian god for example may act like a Christian, but it does not resemble a Christian.

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 12:43PM

Absolutely.

Mormons project Mormonism onto the Mormon God. Muslims project Islam onto the Muslim God. Liberal Christians have their liberal God, conservative Christians have their conservative God.

At the macro level, a society's God is the personification of the people who make the prevailing view in that society. As society becomes more liberal, so does God. As society becomes more tolerant of homosexuality, for example, so does their God. As Mormon society becomes less racist, so does Mormon God, and suddenly there is a revelation about blacks and the PH...

Posted by: resipsaloquitur ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 01:29PM

If triangles had a god, it would certainly have three sides.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 01:30PM

And if squares had a god it would be jesus ;)

Date: November 01, 2011 01:38PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenophanes

I have found it interesting to read about this guy. He seems to be one of the original pillars of Abrahamic Monotheism.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.