Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nlocnil ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 12:50PM

I made an interesting discovery about the rules of Polygamy.

According to D&C 132:61-63
http://lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/132.61?lang=eng#60
Plural wives must be virgins when wed or you are committing "adultery"

Question:

How many of Joseph Smith's wives were virgins when he married them?
Didn't he marry other men's wives and even at least one mother/daughter pair? Clearly these women were not virgins.

This scripture also helps refute the folkloric idea that polygamy was used to take care of widows. (Virgin Widows???)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 12:52PM

Seems to me that they ran out of "virgins" and had to branch out! :-) It was a very small group of believers.

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 01:00PM

In all my years of attending church and church education meetings, I have never heard a single person ask the obvious question: if only men can enjoy polygamy, and these brides must be virgins, where are all these virgins on Earth today that will become polygamous brides?

According to the Mormon doctrine, these women must have a life on Earth to get their physical bodies. They must also be unmarried (at least un-sealed), and virgins. And each man may have up to 1000 of them.

So where are they now? Where on Earth, today or at any point in it's history, are there hundreds of millions of virgin women living in a man-free society, just readying themselves for Joseph Smith and every worthy male follower of Pervert Joe?

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 01:10PM

The Book of Mormon also says that the purpose was to raise up seed, and Joseph didn't do that either. His marriages were also illegal according to the laws for the State of Illinois at the time. They also contradicted the article on marriage that had recently been redacted from the Book of Commandments, or scripture at the time. Also, mormon scriptures teach that polygamy must be operated under command, or gift from God, but D&C 132 wraps that up nicely by stating that if the MAN wants another wife, that is good enough for them to be constituted as being given to him by God. If his wife objects she'll burn in hell, because the other girl has been given to her husband (because he WANTED her). As it turns out, that's exactly how polygamy ended up working, although the wives started being included in the decision more (after being taught that they'd burn in hell for refusing)

All mormons I know refuse to think this far into polygamy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2011 02:41PM by kimball.

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 01:17PM

that she must not be "vowed" to another. I wonder how many women were 'stolen' by GA's of that era.

Posted by: justanotherprettypiece ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 01:45PM

So glad I'm not a virgin. At least I wont be a polygamous wife in the afterlife!

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 01:51PM

what??? awww man................ now you have ruined my bestest fantasy!!! dang it justanotherprettypiece..................... guess i will just have to go all Islamic and stuff to get my virgins!! :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2011 01:52PM by bignevermo.

Date: November 01, 2011 03:25PM

HAHA that made me laugh out loud! That's so sweet of you to fantasize about me :P I am pretty sexy I must say so myself :)

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 01:55PM

The good news is,according to the rules, those guys are all going to HELL not the ck!

Posted by: Thtead killer ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 03:36PM

A liitle OT, but did you notice in the Babycenter linked post where one of the TBM comments mentioned how tough it must have been for Joseph Smith to hide polygamy from Emma because he loved her so much, but God had commanded him to do it, and well, you know how hard it is when God commands you to marry 30+ woman & girls...

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 03:45PM

Those must have been tough times for him. Poor JS.

Date: November 01, 2011 03:47PM

I find it interesting that a lot of TBMs believe joseph didn't have sex with these women he married- but if he wasn't having sex why did Emma have issues with it and why did he feel the need to lie to her about it?

I know when I was TBM I always told myself the same thing about it being a trial for joseph. Otherwise there is just no way to accept it. Poor, deluded TBMs.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 04:05PM

with his foster/adopted daughter..... no??

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 02, 2011 08:31AM

Perhaps so -- perhaps that's how it got started. My take is that he was well aware of his power over his followers. He wanted to sleep with a lot of the women, and he came up with a way to do it that his gullible followers would buy into. Genius!

He was the 19th century version of a touring rock star. Go out on "stage," whip them up into a frenzy, and then take your pick.

Sometimes I think that we need to quit dignifying what he (and the other Mormon leaders) were doing by calling it "plural marriage." Let's call it what is was -- those women were his mistresses. Or lovers. Or concubines. Or something. They were his "wives" only in his own imagination.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: November 02, 2011 10:14AM

even more stupid than that
current MORmONS who try to justify SMith's foul actions by saying Smith never actually had sex with any of his plural wives..... along with the MORmON justification that MORmON polygamy was instituted to help raise up seed.

it makes sense.... to MORmONS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tiEwZr7vno

Posted by: Davo ( )
Date: November 02, 2011 10:31PM

...since God's purpose (allegedly--according to D&C 132) in introducing PM (polygamy) was to increase Kingdom numbers (seed).
If he did not have sex he was in violation of God's will in the matter.
He kinda painted himself into a corner there. But that's what happens to liars--a Karmic reckoning takes place...

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 04:01PM

Well, that leaves me out.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 04:09PM

At least one, Zina Diantha Huntington Jacobs Smith Young, was pregnant at the time of her "marriage" ceremony to Smith. Her husband, Henry Jacobs, was the child's father.

Poor Henry. His wife was stolen once by Smith and again by Young.

In his later years, Henry wrote to Zina expressing his conitinued love and how much he longed to be with her and their children. Heartbreaking.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 04:19PM

Also, when a GA's wife dies, his next wife must be a virgin. I know this, because my relatives knew Joseph Fielding Smith, who married Lucy Mack Smith, a virgin, instead of the many fine widowed women who were close friends of his.

Ronald Poelman--second temple wife was a virgin
Dallin Oaks--virgin
Russell Nelson--virgin

These men are alive today, and are in the eyes of the Mormon Cult and its temple, married to two women! They believe they will be reunited with their first wives in the CK--plus a herd of other polygamous wives!

Who says polygamy isn't alive and well in Mormondom.

Posted by: AZ Guy ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 07:20PM

Howard W Hunter's second wife, Inis, had been married previously.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 10:14PM

AZ Guy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Howard W Hunter's second wife, Inis, had been
> married previously.

But was she sealed in the temple to her first husband? I can't see a GA marrying a woman who wouldn't be available in the next life.

(OMG, that sounds like I actually believe this crap.)

Posted by: AZ Guy ( )
Date: November 02, 2011 01:37PM

caedmon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> AZ Guy Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Howard W Hunter's second wife, Inis, had been
> > married previously.
>
>
> But was she sealed in the temple to her first
> husband? I can't see a GA marrying a woman who
> wouldn't be available in the next life.
>
> (OMG, that sounds like I actually believe this
> crap.)

I don't know. They divorced in the 1960's, but the bio doesn't mention Temple marriage. But she had children with that husband, so definitely not a virgin.

Posted by: nlocnilswife ( )
Date: November 02, 2011 02:17AM

it was a curse to be good looking back in the day....so glad to be born in the 1970s...and so glad that no one cares if your a virgin or not anymore...

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: November 02, 2011 10:58PM

can line up with the refugees from Muslim countries and have their hymens surgically restored after widowhood!

Reminds me of accounting, where you do the scenarios on the computer and then you report to the boss that the idea just didn't "pencil out."

Yeah, Mormonism was not looking very far ahead--lack of prophetic vision, I'd say.

Anagrammy

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: November 02, 2011 11:07PM

This is all ego shit.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 02, 2011 11:32PM

me? Id GLADLY be happy with One Good Wife!

virgin? Im not so sure about that.

applications are now OPEN...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.