Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: AngelCowgirl ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 12:51PM

I'm not talking about the funny responses here, though I know there are plenty of those... looking for serious responses. I've been discussing this with a non-member and it's been interesting!

I mean, something along the lines of "The church is perfect, but the people are not" or "We lived before we came and we'll live after we die" kind of all-encompassing "truths". We all know they aren't true, but TBMs don't.

If you were to list the three (or whatever) "great truths" - aka. secrets of life - of the Morg, what would they be?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 01:00PM

Enquiring minds like mine want to know.

Date: November 01, 2011 01:03PM

Lol, Dave, yes I guess so!

Basically I was telling this nevermo that Mo's honestly and truly believe that they have "the answers" to life and God and the secrets of the universe. She was like, "That's insane - nobody has all that or would even attempt to convince anyone that they do." So I was trying to tell her about some of these "answers" to life, the universe, and everything. Sort of an "All You Need is Love" Lennon-esque statement or two.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 01:05PM

The golden rule and work out your own salvation are two that come to mind. The church did not invent those ideas, nor do they practice them.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 01:07PM

That human nature is inherently evil and there's nothing we can do about it except hope that through some supernatural intervention we can be changed.

Date: November 01, 2011 01:09PM

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 01:11PM

it DOESN'T MATTER what ChurchCo teaches, at least TWO REASONS:

a) They apply it how they want

b) They CHANGE it When they want.

it all shows how Silly they treat their own 'teachings'!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2011 08:57PM by guynoirprivateeye.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 01:13PM

Do what you're told. That's the only enduring truth within the Mormon church.

Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 01:15PM

+1,000,000

Yep, obedience is the ONLY saving principle according to current morg leaders.

Posted by: jo smith and his crazy gold bible ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 04:25PM

I always hated hearing that I was inherently evil. I didn't agree with this growing up, I still don't. I don't see how something based on so little can be taught like that.

Date: November 01, 2011 01:18PM

Or do you mean theological philosophies that are true for every society?

Date: November 01, 2011 01:20PM

I mean general ideas and/or theological philosophies that the Church teaches as Truth but that almost any other society does NOT recognize as Truth. Kinda like "Our is the ONLY true religion and only way to God." or "God was once a man and you can someday be a God."

Date: November 01, 2011 01:23PM

Date: November 01, 2011 01:32PM

Murder and incest are generally accepted universal wrongs. Yet BY taught Blood Atonement, as well as God and Mary having sex.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 01:36PM

That is something the leaders like to harp on- That there's only one of two genders you're allowed to be, and you better be attracted the right one.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 01:42PM

That Mormons claim to have.

The basic answers to:

1. Who are we?

2. Where did we come from?

3. Where are we going?

4. And how can we know the "truth."

For Mormonism:

1. We are "literal" spirit children of god.

2. We came from living with Heavenly father in the pre-existence.

3. We can "return" home if we convert to Mormonism and obey all their stupid rules.

4. We can "know" the truth by accepting the Holy Ghost and our feelings as truth.

And then there's some ancilary stuff about "having a living prophet" to lead god's church, blah blah blah.

Those are the "great truths" of Mormoism.

Posted by: Duder ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 01:45PM

First, I have to note my utter lack of surprise that you didn't get anyone to give you a serious/helpful response. It might be easier to ask a crowd of sheep what they like about wolves.

Anyway, I can think of three things that I think are wonderful ideas that mormonism teaches, though I doubt they're truly unique to mormons:

1) we are all children of God, and brothers and sisters to each other. I always found it strange to talk to people in other religions who didn't seem to have this bedrock concept drilled into their heads;

2) each of us agreed to the creation of earth. I think it's interesting to consider that we didn't just live before and we'll live again. The idea that we lived with God, and somehow assisted in creation (or at least agreed to it) intrigues me. Again, I've met a lot of people who never really looked at life that way; and

3) families are forever. Man, I hate my ex wife sometimes.

Posted by: nebularry ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 02:00PM

"When the prophet speaks, the thinking is done."

That "great truth" covers everything. In that phrase we discover that the living prophet is always right no matter how contradictory, convoluted, corrupt or coo-coo his pronouncements. It also very emphatically warns TBMs to not think for themselves. Be "sheeple", follow the prophet and don't ask no stinkin' questions! And hidden in that phrase is the "revelation" that the prophet can change doctrine, policies and practices of the Morg depending on which way the wind blows. If you think about it (which, of course, you aren't supposed to do) the sentence is genius!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2011 02:01PM by nebularry.

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 02:10PM

Although a great many generic moral truths are taught by the church, I don't believe there is a SINGLE ONE that there isn't documented evidence of prophets and general authorities breaking or going against. Everything from little white lies to murder has been done by members of the church, in the name of the Lord.

Date: November 01, 2011 02:14PM

Not to mention I don't think there's actually a single unique doctrine in the church. I'd be interested if there was even one single doctrine that hasn't been taught in some form by some group prior to 1830.

Date: November 01, 2011 02:18PM

Date: November 01, 2011 02:19PM

Date: November 01, 2011 02:21PM

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 02:26PM

Kolob backwards? Bolok(s)

Posted by: Tabula Rasa ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 04:56PM

That a kitten dies every time you masturbate. Try it, you'll like it.

Ron

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 05:14PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.