Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anon for this ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 02:03PM

....to keep members "in the fold".

The following was posted on Facebook by a 20 something who I know:

"The craziest thing happened today. My grandpa got this call from the church saying that my church records are in the dead file as an inactive member of the church. I knew that my current bishop bric did not have my records, but i didn't not know i was listed as inactive. This explains why i could not access lds.org. I'm proud to say that I hopefully will again be an official member of the Church and not listed as inactive. I'm greatful for to be a member of this church. It brings great peace into my life. I know that my heavenly father cares and loves everyone. He watches over each of us. He is there for us always."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 02:04PM

It's not god watching or hunting this person.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 02:08PM

...including Nevermos.

Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 02:12PM

anon may have been speaking of the secure portion of lds dot org that requires your membership number and date of confirmation to access.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 02:22PM

Perhaps his individual bishop or SP used this tactic on him to push him to reactivate? (and if so, it seems to have worked!)

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 02:10PM

You notice they couldn't wait to call Grandpa and tell him his grandson wasn't going to church. OMG

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 02:11PM

Strange, because I haven't been to a meeting (as a known member anyway) for five years. but I just registered using my record number on LDS.ORGy to get a family search acct.

There wasn't any issue with me being "inactive".

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 02:12PM

Posted by: anon for this OP ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 02:15PM

She thinks she isn't an "official member" just because she is labeled as "inactive".

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 02:29PM

anon for this Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "I'm greatful for to be a member of this church. It brings great peace into my life."

My Mo friends say this as well -- that the church gives them great peace. I hope for their sake that it's true, and that they're not just mouthing platitudes.

What I see instead is a great deal of guilt, feelings of inadequacy, invasions of privacy, pestering visits, an excess of teaching and doctrine, and interminable meetings and duties.

Perhaps I define "peace" differently than they do. I feel a sense of peace when I'm connected to nature -- when I see open water, a beautiful sunset, a snow-capped mountain, or lush forests. I feel peaceful in quiet places. I feel peace after a loving meal with my family, or while petting a furry friend. I feel peace sipping some hot tea by a cozy fire on a wintry day.

Posted by: J. Chan ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 03:12PM

how the LDS church is structured and how it operates.

Posted by: anon for this OP ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 03:36PM

For clarification, I did not make this up.

I posted this as an example to show these kinds of thoughts, such as the one that was posted on Facebook, are expressed.

There are some young members who do not realize they are still members of the LDS church even when they are labeled "inactive". They are also oblivious to the intrusive nature of the church (example, her grandfather was called). And as Summer pointed out, mormons repeatedly claim the church "brings peace".

As a former Mo, I was told the church brings peace and I ignorantly believed it. As a BIC, I didn't know any differently.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 05:56PM

Whoever that airhead is they need to know that all they need to do to be considered active is to attend one SM a month.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.