Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mleblanc138 ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 05:22PM

I remember in a YM lesson once, I was told that as a Melchizedek Priesthood holder, I would have, among other things, command of the elements. The first thing I pictured was practicing alchemy, like waving your hand over copper and saying "I command this Copper(Cu) to turn into Gold(Au)." I never tried it once I got the Melchizedek Priesthood, knowing what the result would be. I suppose you can chalk this right up there with "the faith to move mountains." Because if I said "I command Mount Timpanogos to move 100 feet to the north," and actually did it, it would probably make KSL news, if not the national news. I sure do wish I could do a little priesthood alchemy and turn my $32 worth of 95% Copper Pennies into about $450,000 worth of Gold though.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 05:24PM

That one was right before the class about using The Force.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2011 05:24PM by helamonster.

Posted by: dressclothes ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 05:26PM

> "I command Mount Timpanogos to move 100 feet to
> the north," and actually did it, it would probably
> make KSL news, if not the national news.

Don't be ridiculous. You'd be burned at the stake, like all witches and warlocks ought to be.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 05:28PM

The priesthood is pretty much like the cartoon Captain Planet. I would gladly rejoin Mormonism if I got one of those rings.

All except for Heart. I hated that power.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 05:28PM

Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 05:32PM

You mean the Last Airbender was a mormon?

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 05:40PM

ROTFLMAO but he didn't wear the necessary garments.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 05:34PM

The belief that spirits or entities controlled various elements lead to the idea that they must be appeased. Rituals were developed to turn aside their anger and invite their acquiescence in whatever plans the petitioners may have.

This is why Joseph Smith returned to the place where the Book of Mormon was to be found three years in a row, on a propitious day, as supposedly instructed. The incantations had to be said just exactly right, three times. The petitioners had to stand in a magic circle, just so. If they failed, the spirit controlling the water, the tree, the weather, would exact a penalty.

Joseph Smith held the Melchisedek Priesthood. Why didn't he control the water instead of Satan?

Anagrammy

Posted by: familyfirst ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 05:34PM

I think, I think that what your poorly informed leader was doing, was just repeated a lesson he heard without any back up of scripture.

(My daughter is singing captain planet in the background after just reading over my shoulder and said that captain planet was much cooler than Mormonism).

In the bible, Jesus is sleeping on a boat with his disciples and a storm came up and as the story goes, his disciples freaked out thinking they were going to die in the middle of the storm and they woke Jesus up. Jesus rebuked the storm, the winds, the waves etc and they all marveled and wondered about what manner of man Jesus was that he could command 'the elements.'

So.................. drawing from that ...and thinking that they have the same power in the Melchizedek priesthood, this is why/where they thought they could have power over the elements.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 01, 2011 05:40PM

mleblanc138 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Because if I said "I command Mount Timpanogos to move 100 feet to the north," and actually did it, it would probably make KSL news, if not the national news.

Oh, absolutely Mount Timpanogos will move. It will just take a few million years, and hopefully you are not too attached to the direction of the move. Oh ye of little faith!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.