Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: exmollymo ( )
Date: November 02, 2011 02:46AM

I was reading a very interesting blog

http://refmogospeldoctrine.blogspot.com/2004_08_22_archive.html

and it referenced 2 Nephi 29:3-4. That was supposedly written between 559-545 B.C.

I thought the name "Bible" was more modern (post-Christ) and according to Wikipedia it said the time frame that the name "Bible" came into use as early as 223 A.D.

That's nearly an 800 year difference. How would a Mormon apologist spin this discrepancy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible

http://lds.org/scriptures/bofm/2-ne/29?lang=eng

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2011 03:27AM by exmollymo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: November 02, 2011 04:30AM

Once they wrote off the whole BofA debacle by redefining "translation" to mean inspiration, I figure they could use that for anything similar.

i.e., it was not a direct translation of the words, it was an inspired translation of god's intention.

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: November 02, 2011 06:29AM

BoM anachronisms are Apologetics 101

First of all, duh, they could see in to the future. They knew Jesus was going to be named Jesus, they knew Joseph Smith was going to be named Joseph after his father, they knew the word adieu long before French was spoken, I mean jeez, the book is full of prophecies...

Secondly, God speaks to men in their own language, says so in the book. So God, knowing what Nephi meant by whatever word he used to describe the future Bible, just simplified it for us and called it the Bible in the U&T.

And like Pista said, ever since discovering that not a single word of the BoA matches the scrolls, they had to redefine the whole process. It now means that the words came independently, and apparently the scrolls were just something to get Smith thinking about Abraham.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: November 02, 2011 06:30AM

He got to see into the future!

Remember that the book of Mormon was written for us in these the latter days. Yea even the days kind of right before but now not so much when Regular Jesus comes again to make the Jews feel bad about themselves and kick the wicked in their crab covered immoral testicles.

Sooooooooooooooo! The prophets would get to see the shit of today and use correct language to describe it!

Too bad they couldn't use the correct language of their own time to call a horse a tapir and the lamanites "those guys with disappearing genes."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.