Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: LehiExMo ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 01:51AM

MIL is being kind and watching the kids all day long. We don't know a thing about being downtown on a Sunday, but we are going to attempt to spend 12 hours down there tomorrow. We thought about hitting the Oasis Cafe (never been, good?) for coffee and brunch. Then we'll hit the Gateway. Anything else we should check out?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 02:21AM

Downtown is pretty dead all of the time. There are some good restaurants and a few shops. Nothing that interesting. The Gateway is a good bet. Oasis has good food. Unless you are intersted in temple square, there isn't a lot downtown anytime. You can always look at the Lord's not yet completed shopping mall.

Posted by: Rose Park Ranger ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 02:50AM

It's a little east of downtown. Much to my kids' delight, the Burger King across the street is open.

The Natural History Museum up the hill at the University of Utah is open, too. Kids can dig for (pretend) dinosaur bones!

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 02:59AM

The Gateway has a number of restaurants, movies,an aquarium and planatarium. If you are interested in those things, you could kill a lot of time there.

If you are interested in historic buildings or church architecture, the Cathedral of the Madeleine is interesting. They offer a free tour after the 11:00 AM mass or you can just go poke around yourself as long as there is no service.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 03:19AM

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 10:20AM

Great brunch, classy people (mormons won't go there on Sunday, it's a more cool crowd) good service, good food, good prices.

I miss that place, and wish where I'm at now had it.

Posted by: nonmo ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 12:45PM

FYI...I found this group online. They make a point of going all over the SLC cty and Ut Cty area and patronizing businesses on Sundays..

http://www.meetup.com/openonsundays/

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 03:05PM

Gateway is easily your best bet, but they moved the aquarium to Sandy (it's marginally impressive but expensive; my kids like it; too far out, now, however, and I'm not sure it's open on Sunday). Planetarium and the "Children's Museum" (on the corner of 100 South and Rio Grande) are great...

My choice for food would be Café Trang on 200 South and 300 West... Better than P.F. Changs in terms of service, and with a Vietnamese option as well... Buca Di Beppo is also fun; huge portions of "immigrant Italian" (300 South, 200 West).

I need to check out what's open Sundays on "the other end of the Light Rail" in Sandy at Jordan Commons...

My apologies for the gloomy weather...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2010 03:07PM by SL Cabbie.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.