Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nealster ( )
Date: November 02, 2011 11:42PM

I have an idea for a short story, the premise of which is basically the title of this thread.

To gain some ideas, what would the world, or at least the USA be like under a Mormon led government?

After all, this is one of the church's goals, is it not?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 12:24AM

I remember reading it. Heinlein refers to Mormons every now and then in his books.

http://www.adherents.com/lit/sf_lds2.html#Heinlein

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2011 03:18AM by robertb.

Date: November 02, 2011 11:52PM

I know this kind of story (a dystopian, religion led society) has been done umpteen times before, but it does kind of interest me.

Date: November 02, 2011 11:57PM

The wikipedia article must be wrong on Heinlein, for it states that story is based on Christianity taking over, although the 'church' in that tale has a prophet.

Posted by: captainmoroni ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 12:10AM

Read the "Cleansing of America" by Cleon Skousen. This is by one of Mormonism's most respected thinkers who talks about how our constitution came directly from the Law of Moses (Crazy. I know). He wants to reinstate the Law of Moses in America and uses LDS scriptures to support it. He says that the church would break everything into groups of 100, 50, and 10 like Brigham Young did and have a small scale collectivist society and government. This would allow more micromanagement of each member's life. The guy in charge of the 10 would be a mini-Big Brother and would constantly be checking on his "charges" to make sure they are doing what is right. America would turn into Jeremy Bentham's Panopticon. That's right. We would be one giant, collectivist insane asylum.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 02:01AM

Posted by: captainmoroni ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 12:14AM

Also, I found it ironic in Heinlein's book that the first theocratic "prophet" is elected in 2012. Romney doesn't strike me as a real prophetic type, but he has sworn to do everything to advance the Kingdom of God on Earth. The fact that he can hide that pledge so well probably makes him far more dangerous. He can look sane and moderate while passing a hidden agenda to advance the church's cause.

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 12:14AM

Then again...

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 01:49AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.