Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ellie ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 02:05PM

There is an understanding mormonism class this weekend at a non denominational church. Wondering if I should go, if it might enlighten me a little, or at least give me the opportunity to be around others that are going through the same thing. Anyone ever been to something like this and would it be worth it?
Thanks in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: notamomo ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 02:07PM

I'll save you the time.

"It's a cult."

That's basically what you'll hear.

As if their "non-denominational church" (oxymoron?) isn't.

Posted by: daughters mormon ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 03:05PM

I've not been, but I expect they'll explain Mormon beliefs in much more depth than you'd ever get from the Missionaries. But, probably will end with, "It's a cult"
I am very sensitive to that and to the accusation of their not being Christian. I'm Catholic and we get accused of being, 1. not Christian and, 2. being a cult as well.
Hurts. So I'm not going to throw stones.
I know Mormons who I'd describe as Christians. Most of the people I work with are LDS. I love them! They accept me, I accept them.

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 03:21PM

Do you realize what forum you are posting in?

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 03:11PM

It might be intersting, but I would check the information they give.

Posted by: peregrine ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 03:11PM

I went to one of those as a teenager sponsored by a local baptist church. At the time I was TBM and really felt they were being overtly anti-mormon. They just focused on the easy details to scare you away from joining but really didn't go too in depth. I left asking, "Is that all you've got?"

I agree with others that the theme will probably be "It's a cult!"

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 03:18PM

A christian church teaching an "understanding mormonism" class is just code for let's use Mormonism as a means of constructing a strawman and then tearing it down so our version of christianity will seem more legitimate.

It's not a class on mormonism. It's a class on why their particular interpretation of the bible is the correct one.

Pot, meet kettle. Kettle, this is pot.

Date: November 03, 2011 03:21PM

Whether their views are any more right isn't really the issue. I don't mind them explaing what Mormons believe and contrasting it with traditional Christianity. However, I do not like it if they are sensationalist or mocking and I don't want a big 'Come to Jesus' speech. What you get will probably depend on the denomination and speaker.

Posted by: ellie ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 03:37PM

Makes sense, thanks... I think I'll pass and continue to get my facts, feedback, and ammunition here!

Posted by: Anubis ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 03:37PM

We dawn the temple cloths and "inform" others of what to expect when joining the Morg. We have even had several people over to our house who were in the midst of joining.

One girl who was joining for a boy had no idea what it would do to her family. After about a year the mother calls us up and tells us her daughter is getting married in the Morg and she in not allowed to go "why"? The daughter had cut off all ties to her family (thanks to the inlaws) and only invited them because she felt some need to inform them. It was a tragic drama but some of the idea's we put in her head are helping her recontact her mother. The stupid cloths and handshakes kicked off some of the things we said about not closing out your family and how cultish the whole thing is.... Still hope that she will shake it off..

I don't care what your religious/nonreligious preferences are I fully believe people need to be informed whatever the decision.

Anubis

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 03:42PM

I attended a class like this once and, perhaps surprisingly, the pastor was very respectful and even kind. He knew that a lot of the attendees were nascent exmos or non-mormons with mormon family. I remember that he said he never used to term 'cult' but sought to understand Mormonism as a culture.

Your mileage may vary.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 04:21PM

It depends. Some of those independent/evangelical people know their stuff on Mormonism, and were helpful to my discovery.

Others rant and rave about irrelevant things like whether or not Mormons are saved or Christian. That's not really the issue to me. It's whether the claims of Mormonism are something worth building a life on.

Date: November 03, 2011 04:28PM

I might give it a try. If you don't like it, leave. Of course, the cost would have something to do with it. If it is free or the charge is minimal, I'd go for it. If it is expensive, I'd pass. You can get the info online and at the library.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 04:34PM

I think I would want to know, who is teaching the class and why are they teaching it?

MormonThink is a pretty good introduction to the religion:

http://mormonthink.com/

Posted by: SoCalNevermo ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 04:35PM

Many such classes are based on Dr. Walter Martin's book:

http://www.waltermartin.com/cults.html

It's been around for a long time and is somewhat biased.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 06:50PM

Some are recruiting efforts to build their own congregation. Bottom line....$$$.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 09:09PM

In Idaho where I live there is a large Mormon population. Many people who have lived around Mormons all their lives know little about Mormon theology and Mormon Church structure and much of what they do know is often incomplete or outright incorrect. Many, I find, want to know more but do not want to become involved with "missionaries" or the Mormon Church itself. As a former Mormon, I have been asked more than once to explain Mormon teachings and rituals which I have done outside normal church schedules. Usually I try to cover Mormon history, origins and such, some essential theology, what goes on in the temple, and basic church structure...ward, stakes, leadership etc. and end with a question answer period for anything not covered but of interest. Relative to orthodox Christianity, Mormon theology speaks for itself to Christians steeped in their own theology so I don't need to resort to sensationalism or falsehoods for effect.

Posted by: Thread KIller ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 09:16PM

...I remember one of my brothers, back in the '70's, describing a couple of times he went the Institute of Religion that seems to be across from every junior college (and some high schools!): "They had some interesting classes about religions around the world, and then told us why they were all wrong..."

Posted by: another guy ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 10:31PM

I'd go. I'd like to see what they have to say, and I also would be able to correct any misperceptions that the instructor(s) had.

Date: November 03, 2011 10:35PM

I agree. If it is close and there is no charge or a minimal charge, why not go? If it not your thing, you can leave. No big deal.It could be interesting. If they have an agenda or are giving out false or bigoted info, set them straight or stop attending.I would take the chance.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.