Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: i was a bad sunbeam ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 06:58PM

How fun is it to skip two meals and then only get bread and water until the three hour meetings end and you can finally go home and eat?

Bread and water are what bad sailors and Marines get.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-judicial_punishment

"Confinement on diminished rations or bread and water for not more than 3 days (USN/USMC E-3 and below only, and only when embarked on a vessel)"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: vasalissasdoll ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 07:06PM

I was about to say, " you got bread and water!?"

The sacrament doesn't cut it...it's barely enough to let you know your mouth tasted something and hurt for the next couple of hours.

Date: November 03, 2011 07:11PM

The sacrament was all i got. Just like you said. What really sux is if bad sunbeams complain now they get taken on a handcart trip. Someone will bury a doll and say "this could be you".

Posted by: missguided ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 09:07PM

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 09:23PM

fast sunday. When we got a little older, our mother expected us to fast one meal--never more than one meal.

After I was pregnant the first time with twins (the only time) and I couldn't fast, I never fasted again.

I think everything about mormonism felt like punishment.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 09:25PM

and a snack before bed. Still, it's a long time for kiddies to wait until 2:00 pm to eat.

I'm sorry for those who actually missed meals all day Sunday.

In college I was surprised by mormon guys who wouldn't eat while on a date once the clock struck midnight.

Posted by: beansandbrews ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 10:33PM

My son made an interesting point. He said if a parent with holds food as punishment they could be in trouble with dcfs.

But in the name of religion it's okay.

He calls it church child abuse day.

So glad he never experienced religion.

Posted by: scuba ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 11:46PM

Fast Sunday was the worst. It made me feel sluggish for the whole day.

Especially as a missionary, it sucked riding around on bikes all over town on Sunday and starving.

Some times I just felt like I was going to fall over. Of course, as a delusional TBM I thought I'd be rewarded with my sacrifice.

Still waiting on those rewards.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 11:53PM

My mouth tastes like a dessicated dish sponge, and the kid sitting by me is exhaling sulfur gasses I can almost see. The bishop sits up there, steeping in his own gasses. What happened to the clock? It's moving slower than a glacier on tranquilizers.

Shoot! Sister Buffet just stood up, sending a bustle down the long pew and back. She's in the aisle now, waddling toward the microphone like Mama Cass approaching a deli counter. I mean there's no stopping her.

Of course the mike screeches with feedback as she handles it. "I found Jesus in my mud room," says Sister Buffet. "He was with my youngest, who had been lost for hours..." Here she trails off and blubbers. Something about a damned kid and a goddam pair of boots.

I send telepathic messages to the bishop to end the service. It doesn't work, and my mind runs out instead.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 03:26AM

Posted by: Sandie ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 06:22AM

Date: November 04, 2011 06:40AM

Don says it best. I was the kid who got a knuckle on the head for trying to take two pieces of sacrament bread.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 11:21AM

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 03:00AM

this is 'News'?

however, I did enjoy the images...

Posted by: familyfirst ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 05:46AM

Only a cult would make children fast, along with pregnant women and those with health issues. I never made my family go without food on fast sunday, most of the time we forgot. but hey, I think Don went to my ward because I sat next to a few people who emitted some of those gasses on their breath and I thought I was going to toss my cookies.

tic tacs anyone?

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 12:00PM

Children should never be forced to fast...period!

Only after I reached my 40s could I fast that long thanks to a slower metabolism. If I don't get food every few hours, my blood sugar drops and I get the shakes and start to sweat.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 12:19PM

This. +10

Somewhere around 16 or 17, I finally told my dad I just couldn't do it anymore. The low-blood-sugar headaches were killin' me. I get the cold sweat & shakes too, and also I can't make a decision. I can't think straight, I can't decide anything; I just start whining. None of you have ever met me IRL, but I am not a whiney person. At all. Also, the low blood sugar can turn me into a raging bitch. Try to force me to make a decision or think through something that's complicated when my blood sugar is low. My response is pretty rage-y.

Finally, my dad just sort of relaxed about it and let me make my own decision which was: hell, no, I can't be bothered. I didn't think it was healthy at all, so I just stopped.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2011 12:20PM by dogzilla.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 12:34PM

somebody asked about gum on f&t day.

the bishop said that since gum looses some of its volume (or weight), the 'missing' portion would be considered eating/consuming 'something', and therefore a "violation".

Dickwads

asshats

paper tigers.

morbots

sheeple

Posted by: anom ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 12:42PM

I take a sack lunch to church every sunday including fast sundays because of my diabetes. (Once you take your meds you are committed) Nobody says a word. I also keep orange juice in the kitchen icebox. Nobody wants me to pass out. It would ruin the bishops day but probably be exciting for everyone else.

Posted by: maeve ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 01:39PM

Re: Fast Sunday dragon breath
Some TBMs think that toothpaste as well as gum is a violation of fasting. Besides, vile breath lets everyone around you know that you're so spiritual because your stomach is empty.

Posted by: anon for ever ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 06:01PM

it's supposed to be punishment and suffering, but it's often misconstrued. Fasting, a feat undertaken by many religions, is supposed to express humility and piousness. In the morg, its just one more control mechanism.

"I am so faithful, much more than you, so I fasted for thirteen days. Of course, my kidneys are shot from dehydration and the ER visit from passing out was expensive, but I know the lord will provide."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.