Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 07:26PM

This one went pretty fast. I liked the thread about the JST contradicting Mormon's Book:

___
___
___

Please continue to hold for the next available missionary.
Agent [Nate] is ready to assist you.
Nate: How can I help you?
Me: Hi Nate, I had some questions about the book of mormon containing verbatim verses from the King James Version of the bible.
Me: do you know why that is?
Nate: Well, some of those would be the quotes from Isaiah, and other quotes from Jesus Christ. I would suggest a study of both carefully. It can be insightful to see where the differences lie.
Me: yeah, I have actually. That’s why I ask
Me: regarding the quotes from jesus Christ, like the lord’s prayer
Me: they’re exactly the same
Me: word for word
Me: “And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil”
Nate: Right. When we keep in mind that the Nephites only had the Book of Mormon and not the books of the Bible, it makes sense that God says the same things to one people as another
Me: ok, so jesus said the exact same thing to the jews and the nephites, word for word?
Nate: Right.
Nate: I would think that God, being perfect, has a perfect memory
Me: then why does the Joseph Smith Translation of the new testament change the prayer to say, “And suffer us not to be led into temptation, but deliver us from evil?”
Me: is the book of mormon wrong, then?
Nate: Could you give me the exact verse you’re quoting?
Me: matthew 6:13
Nate: And the verse in the Book of Mormon?
Me: hold on, I just had it
Nate: Now, Cindy, I feel like you’ve been slightly dishonest with me.
Me: why’s that?
Nate: You first said it was word for word, but I feel like you said that specifically so you could bring up the JST verse.
Me: of course
Me: how’s that dishonest?
Nate: Ok, I’m ending the chat
Me: why?
Nate: If you are here to argue rather than to ask basic questions about our beliefs
Me: because you know either the book of mormon was plagiarized or it was wrong?
Nate: SINCER questions
Nate: *sincere
Me: that’s pretty basic
Nate: Because, I don’t cast what I consider holy to someone who is here to argue
Me: it goes to the credibility of joseph smith
Nate: Good bye
Me: one man’s sacred cow is another man’s hamburger
The chat session has ended.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: missguided ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 09:03PM

Sounds like 'Nate' has had this before.

I would only suggest a more subtler approach. Try not to look TOO smart. Add some typos and such. Start by saying 'Oh I'm REALLY interested. But my friend said..." then bring up a little issue. Start small. Pretend THEY are respected and that you are geniuine. Then make them doubt themselves.

:)

Posted by: alight ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 11:35PM

hav you done this befour?

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 09:26PM

I really enjoyed the last thread with Alyssa. I don't have a problem with this at all -- I think they have opened the door for discussion and you have every right to talk to them about anything you choose.

I am curious about what you motivation is, and if you are trying to accomplish something. Are you trying to make them doubt? Are you just doing it for your own amusement? Just wondering.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 11:01AM

Purely for entertainment purposes. I know better than to think I could actually talk a missionary out of their faith. I was about as honest a missionary as one could be without being a heretic and I still stayed through the whole thing.

However, if my entertaining chats plant some Alma-sized seeds that grow into legitimate doubts that's cool too. One time I got a sister missionary to agree that she was dishonest by saying "i know the church is true" and she actually committed to start saying "i believe the church is true."

I doubt she actually stuck to it, but now there's the internal guilt of making a commitment and breaking it. I'd like to talk to her in 10 years...

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 10:14PM

Nate: Because, I don’t cast what I consider holy to someone who is here to argue

Posted by: carthagegrey ( )
Date: November 03, 2011 11:09PM

uh, kolobian, i'm actually pretty amused by it too, you're right, the pseudo female is a lot less threatening, his "now,cindy" comment was almost as if scolding a child

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 11:08AM

BTW, the Book of Mormon version of the Lord's Prayer is NOT "word for word" the same as the version in Matthew. If you compare 3 Nephi 13:9-13 with Matthew 6:9-13 you will see that the BoM version OMITS several phrases:

"thy kingdom come"
"give us this day our daily bread"

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 11:54AM

My wife wants us to go on a mission to Nauvoo when I retire so I can dance and act on stage every night and make tiny horseshoes out of nails all day - and of course I would have to dig into my retirement $$ to pay for this pleasure. Now I have nightmares about being a retired mish manning the www.mormon.org missionary chat line from home.

Here is how it would go:

Please continue to hold for the next available missionary.
Agent [Joe Laban] is ready to assist you.
Joe: How can I help you?
Me: Hi Joe, I had some questions about the book of mormon containing verbatim verses from the King James Version of the bible.
Me: do you know why that is?
Joe: Well, it is all bullshit
Joe: Just read the Bible and forget the book of mormon
Me: Oh no - you are kidding me???
Joe: Nope, I have to hang-up and get another beer and you are interrupting my TV show with Jimmy Swaggert.
Joe: Bye and good luck

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 11:56AM

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 11:57AM

How about an ex-mormon chat line?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 12:59PM

The contest would be to see who can get those missionaries to resort to bearing their testimonkeys in the least number of chat lines.

Winner gets an all expense paid weekend in Provo.

Posted by: bratschedan ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 02:27PM

Hahaha!!! I'll have a go!

Posted by: ablmu65 ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 02:33PM

You need to treat the person you are chatting with like you would if you wanted to cook a live frog in a pan of water.

If you want to cook a frog in a pot of water you don't throw them in when the water is hot they will only jump out. You put them in when the water is cool and then slowly turn up the heat.

I have found that if you are patient with TBM's they will cook themselves.

Posted by: bratschedan ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 02:36PM

+1 So true

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.