Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kdog ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 04:07AM

Just had to add this one for the person who made the comment on my last post that my aunt's not crazy, she's racist. Something like that.

Back when I was about 20, my whole family, including 3 of my dad's brothers and their families (which also included my crazy aunt) drove out of state for a vacation. We all stayed at the same hotel and all our rooms were close to each other.

On the afternoon we checked in, there were about 10 of us cousins hanging out together in one of the rooms (all the adults were hanging out together in another room at the time). Most of us were all around the same age. My crazy aunt comes in and sees all of us sitting around talking and with a horrified look on her face says, "Oh no...I don't like this. This is not good. My kids, OUT!"

Let me just say a few things here: First of all, we all grew up around each other so we were all a tight knit group of cousins (all good, active, LDS!). Second, most of us were legal ADULTS at the time! Thirdly, all we were doing was hanging out talking-that's it, and WITH our clothes on! Lastly, what the hell was she thinking? Family orgy???

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Calypso ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 04:14AM

lmao!

Posted by: nickerickson ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 09:05AM

And then the crazy aunt sees an article I posted to Fb from a Miami newspaper - the tongue in cheek piece I posted a link to here yesterday and last night I saw "I'm a Mormon" ads she had linked on Fb.

What a comeback, post that s**t and people will run and hide. She is a funny lady, like that will make me feel bad and come pleading for repentance....

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 12:32PM

That's still not crazy. Just super uptight.

And I still think she's racist.

;>)

Posted by: peregrine ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 12:47PM

I know TBMs who have absolute rules that unmarried males and females should never be in the same room as a bed. This could be what drives your aunt's behavior.

Posted by: cskawi ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 02:46PM

+1 I couldn't be in any room of my house with my girlfriend unless a parent was there even if the door was open and they could see from the living room

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 01:03PM

My cousins have an aunt who one time decided the day after my sisters wedding that there was going to be a terrible earthquake and they needed to cut short their honeymoon and come home right this minute. She had the whole family worked up as she tried to convince everyone to drop everything and travel home. Personal revelation: It is no fun to watch, except from afar.

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 01:12PM

To quote my therapist, "There will be unavoidable damage when you are in relationships with others who suffer from emotional or personality disorders".

You are just developing a way to get through the nonsense that people like your aunt live in. Shame has a way of controlling people when they give it power over themselves.....your aunt is operating in that world of shame. Worrying about "what will others think?" instead of being able to relax and be authentic with others. It is a exhausting way to live.....she will find it is also a dead end road.

Posted by: peregrine ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 01:12PM

My mom wouldn't let me go to a concert with a friend when we were both 17. She made us buy an extra ticket for his 21+ cousin so we could have an adult chaperone. His cousin ended up being the one who bought all the beer for the crowd. I ended up driving home because I was the only one who hadn't been drinking. When I got home she was sitting on the couch waiting for me jsut ready to say, "Now aren't you glad you followed my advice?" I walked right past her and straight to the shower. later I told her how I'd have had a much better time If she'd have just trusted me but she never really apologized.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 01:21PM

(We're all nonMormons, by the way.)

Anyway, my brother was 12ish and I was around 13 and he was taking a bath. We had one of those shower doors that were wavy plastic. I was sitting on the bathroom floor, he was sitting in a tub of warm water and we were tossing some small plastic toy to each other over the shower door. My stepmother came in and freaked out and dragged me out of the room. I was baffled for years until I figured out (as an adult) that her father had molested her as a girl. To give you a clue as to how utterly thick I can be -- her father actually tried to molest me that very same year, but I was an adult before I made the connection in my mind to her issues and what he'd tried with me. (Fortunately, he was drunk out of his mind and I was at least smart enough not to get within arm's reach of him.)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.