Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 02:39PM

by telling Mike Wallace (or Larry King) that "the people sustain me as such", when asked if he was a prophet.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 02:42PM

No kidding!!! Then he tells the members to "proudly proclaim the gospel"

It's not even good english....who says that? Why would someone answer a question with that stupid phrase? Such an important question too. The prophet of the entire earth and he can't even say that he is a prophet..

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 02:47PM

I watched that interview like everybody else. I was a believer at the time and didn't even notice half the things wrong with it. I don't think anybody loses their testimony over a single phrase. I expect that those who were put off by many of Hinckley's answers were already on their way out (even if they didn't yet realise it) whilst any TBM was just proud *their* prophet was on the telly.

Posted by: peregrine ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 02:48PM

In the same interview, by not directly answering the question, he also implied that they don't watch TV on Sundays or drink caffiene.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 02:49PM

He clearly knew he was not a prophet of god.

He knew he would be asked these questions and he was well-prepared with evasive answers. You have to wonder what power of the Holy Spirit fired him up to answer this way in such a public forum.

I thought immediately of all the missionaries suffering through grueling long days to find one family to teach. Missionaries who are instructed to preach on the street corners if they get the chance. And here is their leader, the prophet of god. with a WORLDWIDE audience, having a chance to present the Plan of Salvation to a world in darkness and instead...

he obfuscates...

he almost takes the fifth...

he weasles...

"doesn't know" what the Mormon church teaches about godhood.

To me, this was the singular cult moment where anyone with two brain cells to rub together could see that this church does NOT have a prophet of god. I say cult moment, because people continued to bear testimony and send 10% to an organization which for years had been lead by a man with clearly no connection with diety any more than you or I.

And certainly less courage than the Pope, who had the guts to apologize for Nazi collaboration during WWII, whereas the Mormon Church has never apologized and taken responsibility for the Mountain Meadows massacre.

One day, my friend, there will be protesters in front of Crossroads Mall saying "RETURN MY 10%" and "NO MONEY TO SHOP HERE" and "LDS OPEN BOOKS"

Anagrammy

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 02:50PM

I remember feeling embarrassed to be associated with that.

He wasn't admitting to any thing.

It was a great lesson on how to get through an interview though.

bishop:do you obey the wow?

mia: I don't know that we teach that. thats just a little couplet that emma had.

bishop:are you morally clean?
Mia: My husband sustains me as such.

you get the idea.

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 04:14PM

mia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I remember feeling embarrassed to be associated
> with that.
>
> He wasn't admitting to any thing.
>
> It was a great lesson on how to get through an
> interview though.
>
> bishop:do you obey the wow?
>
> mia: I don't know that we teach that. thats just a
> little couplet that emma had.
>
> bishop:are you morally clean?
> Mia: My husband sustains me as such.
>
> you get the idea.

LOL! I like that. Wish I had been clever enough to use it when I was leaving.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 02:55PM

I suspect Gordon woke up some mornings saying, please someone just turn out the lights. It must have been torture to be 90+ and have to play that role day-after-day until the day you die. I wonder how close he came to just confessing the whole thing - "it's all bullshit, just leave me the fuck alone, give me a cup of coffee".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2011 02:57PM by joelaban.

Posted by: MarkW ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 03:15PM

a meeting with Church leaders (I think it was in Canada if I recall correctly) that hard evidence and history went against the Church, but "it had made him a better father and husband and person and that's what mattered" or something to that effect. In other words I think he'd come to the point of realizing that it was all a sham but had bought into the idea that it didn't matter because of the the good it does in people's lives (in his opinion). He was basically a corporate man protecting the brand.

Posted by: MarkW ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 03:10PM

I found it "interesting" how in an interview during the 2002 Olympics when asked about DNA studies not supporting the Book Of Mormon he said something to the effect of "that hasn't been proven". If he was a truly prophet who "knew" that Nephi et al were real people who'd really lived etc. then he'd strongly testify to that with the "knowledge" that the DNA evidence couldn't be the last word on it. But no, he knew that the evidence is overwhelming against it, and could only weakly say "that hasn't been proven".

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 03:20PM

Yeah about the DNA evidence, some of my TBM family members said that that doesn't mean anything to them and their testimonies are rock (f-ing) solid. Except they didn't use the F word.

Posted by: Healed ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 04:01PM

been taught to "boldly proclaim the restored gospel" to their neighbors, and GBH can only manage a "the people sustain me as such". I"m sorry, but if this isn't an example of an emperor's new clothes, than I don't know what is. Just sayin...

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: November 04, 2011 04:19PM

and it seemed like his other remarks were for protecting the church from ridicule 'cuz we all knew what we really believed.

Scrub a dub dub JoD's brain in a tub.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.