Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nonmo ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 12:37PM

I was talking to my TBM coworker about this (Harvey Unga knocking up his GF and getting kicked off the football team)..
Anyway, can someone get kicked out of BYU for drinking coffee and Tea? I know it's a WoW thing, but I also saw this listed in BYU's honor code.

If so...that's just sad..imo

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 01:29PM

I know someone who works in the Honor Code office. To be honest, BYU will work with people to resolve problems. I doubt anyone would get kicked out just for drinking coffee, unless they keep doing it and obviously have no intention of stopping.

When I was in grad school at BYU one of my lab partners was non mormon. She told the straight out she wasn't giving up coffee and they didn't have a problem with it.

I regret going to BYU, and I think the honor code is a stupid way of dealing with (babysitting?) adults. But that being said, everyone knows what they're signing up for when they enroll. Don't go there if you don't intend to honor your committments. (And I know, there are people there because their parents gave them no choice.)

Posted by: nanoron ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 03:48PM

You can't say, "don't go if you don't plan on following the honor code", because it's not really an honor code. If it contained only code-of-conduct terms, then it would be an honor code. Instead, it includes mental restrictions like, "Don't change your view of Mormonism. Don't stop being superstitious. Attend the brain-washing sessions. Etc."

BYU has a "retention code", not an "honor code". There's nothing honorable about losing one's intellectual integrity.

It's ludicrous to expect an 18 or 19 year old to risk their academic career on the prospect that their cosmology won't change. Yet that's the basis of BYU's retention code: holding your career as ransom for a kidnapped world view.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2010 03:48PM by nanoron.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 05:26PM

But in a church of euphemisms, "honor code" sounds SO much more righteous than the blatant, accurate term "retention code" does.

Posted by: No Larkey ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 01:47PM

Posted by: Stunted ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 01:47PM

...Then I met and married my wife who was attending Ricks College at the time. When I visited her in Idaho I couldn't believe how much worse it was. Talk about a nanny state, that was it.

Stunted.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 03:26PM

A former co-worker told me how her good friend (on the BYU football team) had sex with his girlfriend and felt so guilty he confessed to his bishop. The bishop informed the Honor Code office and he was kicked out of BYU. This was in the mid '90's.

The lesson I learned when i went to BYU is don't tell anyone what you're doing and if someone confronts you, deny, deny, deny.

Let me clarify- I meant if you wanted to survive at BYU and not get kicked out or reported, this was the way to get by.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2010 04:15PM by itzpapalotl.

Posted by: nanoron ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 03:59PM

Perhaps a better lesson is, don't patronize any institution that conflates their fundamental purpose (in this case, education) with enforcement of a lifestyle or belief standard.

I am currently struggling with whether to have my son continue in Boy Scouts. The Boy Scouts have a wonderful fundamental purpose: to train young men to be leaders, citizens, and contributers to society. But they mix in a very onerous threat: if you ever become atheist or gay, all your efforts and achievements get thrown out.

By my own lesson statement above, I should not be patronizing the Boy Scouts of America with my volunteering or with my son's membership. Maybe I just needed to write this post to help me crystalize my thoughts on the matter...

Posted by: Scooter ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 06:03PM

our church/chartering organization is open and affirming. We have members of our consistory who are gay and have openly served on the troop committee.

every year when we re-up with our local council, there is a box which say we will honor BSA policies and yadda yadda yadda.

We just draw a big X through said box and continue getting rechartered.

We sent open letters to both national and local council when the troubles started stating that any confessing member of our congregation is allowed to take part in any activity/program offered by our church.

Whatever you do, don't throw out the baby with the bathwater. There are terrific non-marment scout units in your nabe.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 08:45PM

nanoron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Perhaps a better lesson is, don't patronize any
> institution that conflates their fundamental
> purpose (in this case, education) with enforcement
> of a lifestyle or belief standard.
>

But education isn't BYU's primary purpose. From their own mission statement:

The mission of Brigham Young University--founded, supported, and guided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--is to assist individuals in their quest for perfection and eternal life.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 07:56PM

I was on staff at BYUH in 1990, and I had occasions to be in the men's dorms. I was a witness to loud, outspoken black BB players discussing their entertainment plans freely and publicly. Drinking, strip clubs, hookers--vulgar language, no attempt to hide, on the contrary celebrating their activities, right outside the dorm parent's apartments. These young men kept their status as starters on the team. The school really wanted a winning team. Go Rick Shumway! (you lying hypocrite)

Posted by: mcarp ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 08:38PM

Gee, when Jim McMahon was at BYU (I was there at the same time), the athletes didn't seem to be held to the Honor Code at all. My BIL lived in the same apartment complex and said that during the off-season it was a 24/7 kegger at the McMahon apartment.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.