Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: November 05, 2011 09:50AM

Today's LDS Church news has an article about the Book of Mormon. It says it is written for people in today's world, unlike the Bible that was not written for our day. "The writers of the Book of Mormon know all about you, and wrote it for you, so it really does set apart the Book of Mormon as a special record in the latter days."

http://www.ldschurchnews.com/articles/61639/Sydney-B-Sperry-Symposium-Nephis-vision-testifies-of-truthfulness-of-Bible.html

"Because one of the primary purposes of the Book of Mormon is to convince every person — Jew and Gentile — that Jesus is the Christ, accounts and stories of the Savior are throughout the record — many referenced in Lehi's dream and Nephi's vision."

There is no mention in the article of "Lamanite". None. Open up a Book of Mormon and look at the preface. It says this: "Written to the Lamanites, who are a remnant of the house of Israel; and also to Jew and Gentile".

Today's article says the primary purpose is to convince Jew and Gentile but says nothing about the Lamanite. Oh where, oh where have they gone?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nowI'mfound ( )
Date: November 05, 2011 10:12AM

Yep, the BoM was written for our day--IF YOUR DAY WAS 1830!!

So many anachronistic events and 1800's cultural themes in the BoM, that it was clearly written by people who didn't know about much about anything besides the Bible and the world they were currently living in.

Boy, genetics and DNA really screwed them over on the whole Lamanites thing, didn't it?

Question, shouldn't a PROPHET have foreseen that? Shouldn't a PROPHET have known where they can from? Oh, wait...I just answered my own question ;)

Posted by: nowI'mfound ( )
Date: November 05, 2011 10:18AM

Date: November 05, 2011 10:18AM

Lol. That DNA really did screw them over. They can't change the BofM preface because it was translated from the gold plates. But I think they are following the example that the prophet Hinckley set. "I don't know that we teach it."

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: November 05, 2011 06:36PM

That is SO freaking pathetic. LOL.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: November 05, 2011 06:42PM

i just can't imagine how all of those people who thought they were the lamanites must feel. If you joined the church because of that, only to find out its not so,how could you possibly keep going? There are some that do. How do they do that? I really can't wrap my mind around that.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: November 05, 2011 06:44PM

Now it finally all makes sense. It was written for our day! So, of course it has references to horses and wheels and metals and weapons--just like we have today. And that whole Lamanite thing--I bet it was just a plot device to make it interesting. Very clever indeed.

Phew! That was close. I've got to get back to church before it's too late.

Posted by: andyb ( )
Date: November 05, 2011 08:21PM

There's a whole shitload of 'em living in southern Alberta...but they don't have a clue they're "lamanites"....

Posted by: Gorspel Dacktrin ( )
Date: November 05, 2011 08:45PM

that they are managing a fraudulent belief system/religious organization.

Some people say that they are sincere in their testimonies and really believe in the Book of Mormon and the divine mission of the LDS Church and yadda, yadda, bing, bang, scam....

But I don't see how that can be when they can press the "delete" button on major, long-standing traditional beliefs without comment or explanation to the general membership and go on as though nothing has happened. It's positively Orwellian the way that they try to "memory hole" things. It indicates cold, cynicial, manipulative calculation and intentional deceit.

I always have to laugh when I think about BYU in the early 1980s. Everywhere you went, you were running into Lamanite this and Lamanite that. They had Lamanite job placement programs. They even had a popular, globally touring Lamanite song-and-dance group called the "Lamanite Generation." And everybody knew and bore testimony that they knew that the Lamanites were the Polynesian People (Tongans, Hawaiians, Samoans, Maoris, etc.), the Melanesian People (Fijians, etc.), the Micronesians (Chamorro, etc.), all North American "Indians," all Central and South American indigenous peoples, and all people who counted any of the foregoing among their ancestors. Now? Now....

Now...It's "Lamanite who? What's that?"

Absolutely incredible transformation from big, big deal to "fleck of history" in the space of just a couple of decades.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 05, 2011 08:55PM

They went into that hole at the north pole and now live inside of hollow earth.

Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: November 05, 2011 09:08PM

My god, how desperate does that article sound!?

Sorry to break to ya, but Santa is not real no matter how much you say it......

Posted by: druid ( )
Date: November 05, 2011 09:13PM

always makes a few of my Mormon students grow confused (perhaps questioning) looks as they work their way through.

Take a look https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/genographic/atlas.html

Date: November 07, 2011 06:22AM

See, this is what I'm talking about. What in the heck does this Mormon bishop believe about the Native Americans?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dNYpXZIN_c&ytsession=7Ly4PPrCABncCghmP8QoWD32NWX_XW4ka62sTXaGgMTay4NWbklHPZ-fq7oMHNe9_nZ74nFth0Q2e3MF9X3I2oQejNDA_io1gJHuDTT3t716YddlQPPwZR7_PCJIJ9QrbBnbQwTZN0QDmGwC0RitUbWV3TIpiFWFFJLKbpHdqmpAD5eDBtl-_meTH8SOXvuXYBRD4hGBryKoynTCh4yaNnYXe6sFiHWunLtNEJjCeMBWIHzgeX6yXUScS2o9DDVWbtrHn6kaaWbZ8rL9jU42pQUcXCV4MyWet93cATQzmb0

He said: "Mormon was one of the last descendants of this people."

Is the church starting to teach that all of the Book of Mormon people went extinct before Columbus?

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 07:04AM

michaelm (not logged in) Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He said: "Mormon was one of the last descendants
> of this people."
>
> Is the church starting to teach that all of the
> Book of Mormon people went extinct before
> Columbus?

I'm not sure if he believes that included the Lamanites or just the Nephites. Of course, the BoM is very clear about this. Nephite even said this type of genocide wouldn't happen (besides being impossible). Nephi got a promise--not just his opinion, but a revelation from god speaking to him:

1 Ne 13
30 Nevertheless, thou beholdest that the Gentiles who have gone forth out of captivity, and have been lifted up by the power of God above all other nations, upon the face of the land which is choice above all other lands, which is the land that the Lord God hath covenanted with thy father that his seed should have for the land of their inheritance; wherefore, thou seest that the Lord God will not suffer that the Gentiles will utterly destroy the mixture of thy seed, which are among thy brethren.

31 Neither will he suffer that the Gentiles shall destroy the seed of thy brethren.

As for the Lamanites disappearing from the Modern LDS venacular:

Yep, there are no mentions of "modern Lamanites" by GAs/the 15 since 2002 that I can find. They used to use terms like Children of Lehi. A lot, in fact. In nearly every temple dedication in the SW US and in Central/South America. In talks at these same locations and in polynesia, they often referred to people as Children of Lehi/Lamanites. They don't anymore. The last recorded one was not in general conference. It was in the dedicatory prayer for the Snowflake, AZ temple. At least, that's what I found.

Nor is there any mention of lamanites in the following temple dedications since Early 2002:

San Salvador El Salvador Temple 21 August 2011
The Gila Valley Arizona Temple 23 May 2010
Curitiba Brazil Temple 1 June 2008
Panamá City Panamá Temple 10 August 2008
Monterrey México Temple 28 April 2002
Campinas Brazil Temple 17 May 2002
Asunción Paraguay Temple 19 May 2002

The Snowflake, AZ Temple, early 2002, was the last time:

http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/snowflake/prayer/
("We are grateful that this Thy house will be available to the sons and daughters of Lehi who live nearby.")

Date: November 07, 2011 07:35AM

That is interesting that they did it in 2002 for Arizona. The Bismark North Dakota temple was dedicated in 1999 but made no mention of Lamanite, Children of Lehi, nothing. It serves both North and South Dakota, a region with the third largest population of Native Americans in the United States.

http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/bismarck/

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 07:06AM

Also, I noted that the London Bishop's comment about it makes sense that god would talk to others is the leading point LDSinc makes now--that why would god stop talking to his people now? It assumes that the bible is correct and if so, then there's no reason for it to have stopped.

I think this is a good selling method. The logic is sound, if you assume certain things (bible, revelation, prophets of old, etc). So they should stick to that.

Date: November 07, 2011 08:05AM

I know they say to pray about the Book of Mormon, Moroni's promise and all that, as if god can give us personal revelation about it. But....

Everywhere I look, the American Indians in the United States are being set aside by the Mormons, no longer even being mentioned. The preface to the Book of Mormon was supposed to have been written by Moroni. Joseph Smith said he translated it from the Gold Plates. It's not like it was Bruce R. McConkie's introduction. So why do top Mormon leaders no longer even mention all of the words in the preface? Why do they leave out the part for the American Indian? Why do they cherry pick only certain words for everyone but the American Indians?

If missionaries or anyone else told me to pray about it I would probably reply:

I cannot in moral soundness invoke God through prayer to convince myself that a repulsive pseudohistory of the American Indian is true. And why should I? The Mormon church is ignoring the very people they claim the Book is about.

Posted by: chinoblanco ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 08:36AM

The Mormons announce new proselytizing leaders in Chile, Peru, Brazil, Ghana, Guatemala, Argentina, South Africa and Spain.

Compare and contrast the diversity on display in the "I'm a Mormon" campaign with LDS reality:

http://www.ldschurchnews.com/articles/61636/Missionary-training-center-presidents.html

Date: November 07, 2011 08:59AM

Thank you chinoblanco. There is a reason for the lack of Lamanites in the leadership south of the U.S. border. I found it in the Institute manual. The patriarchal blessings for Lamanites are from the tribe of Manasseh but they are subordinate to Ephraim, the tribe given to everyone else. And Ephraim's place is at the head.

http://institute.lds.org/courses/doctrines-of-the-gospel.asp
(chapter 24)

“It is essential in this dispensation that Ephraim stand in his place at the head, exercising the birthright in Israel which was given to him by direct revelation. Therefore, Ephraim must be gathered first to prepare the way, through the gospel and the priesthood, for the rest of the tribes of Israel when the time comes for them to be gathered to Zion. The great majority of those who have come into the Church are Ephraimites. It is the exception to find one of any other tribe, unless it is of Manasseh."

“It is Ephraim, today, who holds the priesthood. It is with Ephraim that the Lord has made covenant and has revealed the fulness of the everlasting gospel. It is Ephraim who is building temples and performing the ordinances in them for both the living and for the dead. When the ‘lost tribes’ come—and it will be a most wonderful sight and a marvelous thing when they do come to Zion—in fulfilment of the promises made through Isaiah and Jeremiah, they will have to receive the crowning blessings from their brother Ephraim, the ‘firstborn’ in Israel” (Smith, Doctrines of Salvation, 3:252–53).

Posted by: Leah ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 09:05AM

Where does a fictional people go?

Church leaders have no idea LOL

They are boxed into a corner with a book that has been exposed by DNA as fraudulent.

Date: November 07, 2011 09:08AM

It is sad. People that got told they were from the Book of Mormon were not only lied to, now they are just being ignored. My wife is pissed.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 12:38PM

I spent an hour trying to find the text of the speech Gordon Hinckley made at the Lima, Peru temple dedication in 1986. He went on and on about the natives being ancestors of Father Lehi, blah, blah. I think it has been excised from church history.

Can any of you researchers help me?

Anagrammy

Date: November 07, 2011 12:42PM

http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/lima/prayer/

"We are particularly mindful this day of the sons and daughters of Lehi. They have known so much of suffering and sorrow in their many generations. They have walked in darkness and in servitude. Now Thou hast touched them by the light of the everlasting gospel. The shackles of darkness are falling from their eyes as they embrace the truths of Thy great work. Surely father Lehi has wept with sorrow over his posterity. Surely he weeps today with gladness, for in this holy house there will be exercised the fullness of the priesthood to the blessing, not only of those of this and future generations, but also to the blessing of those of previous generations."

"Remember, Father, Thine ancient covenant with the children of Lehi that in the latter days Thou wouldst favor them and bring to them a knowledge of their Redeemer. Make them strong in faith and magnify them in leadership in Thy kingdom."

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 12:54PM

I had to laugh. At the bottom of the prayer he just had to bring up TITHING! Good grief.

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 12:50PM

The saddest aspect to all of this is that fifty years from now the Lamanite "doctrines" will be so far buried in fake Mormon history that most Mormons of 2061 will have no idea that such things were ever taught. The "intellectuals" of the era will know that former Prophets did believe it, but they were "speaking as men." The idea that the native Americans were descendants of the Lamanites will be just as absurd as the Adam-God doctrine is today.

And yet Mormonism will continue, reinventing itself as it goes along.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 02:26PM

is to the Church of the Inquisition.

The only thing they keep is the name, and Mormons don't even keep that.

Anagrammy

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.