Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: November 05, 2011 11:27AM

Remember remember that some forms of terrorism are socially acceptable.

Religion, I'm looking in your general direction.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: November 05, 2011 11:29AM

Okay, our British posters -- what's going on in the UK today? Anything fun?

Of course if we had a holiday like that here in the Pacific Northwest it would probably involve hayrides, hot apple cider and a big bonfire.

(I miss the Halloweens of my youth...)

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 09:59PM

Not a hayride, but there was hot apple cider and big bonfires and lots of fireworks.

Though we ended up going out for a very pleasant meal, instead!

We drank Hobgoblin Ale!

Posted by: jeebusinasidecar ( )
Date: November 05, 2011 01:53PM

"Remember, remember the fifth of November,
The gunpowder treason and plot.
I see no reason the gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot".

Happy Guy Fawkes day everyone!

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: November 05, 2011 05:58PM

We did the ritual sacrifice on the bonfire of Guy Fawkes (or in my head it was Joe Smith but I didn't mention it to avoid killing the spirit of the occasion).

We had pea and ham soup with cheesy rolls, hot pot and parkin. The kids had their treacle toffee, toffee apples and marshmallows toasted in the embers.

The finale - a great firework display which was brought to a crescendo accompanied by the 1812 Overture - timed to perfection.

I had two glasses of Hardy's Ozzy Red and the blokes quaffed a cider or two.

A lovely time was had by all.

:-)

Briggy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2011 06:00PM by brigantia.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: November 05, 2011 06:02PM

What are hot pot and parkin? So funny how Americans and UK speak English but so different too.

Date: November 07, 2011 10:02PM

Hot pot is a delicious Lancashire dish, like a lamb stew, and Parkin is a very nice cake made from black treacle and oats. Similar ingredients to flapjacks but very different.

Posted by: nonamekid ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 12:55AM

http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/06/world/europe/uk-fatal-crash/index.html?hpt=wo_c2

"Smoke from a bonfire and fireworks show caused a fiery weekend crash on a highway in southwestern England that killed seven people, police said Sunday"

Date: November 08, 2011 09:57AM

What's worse, two years ago another firework company refused to provide them with a display, as they felt it was too close to the motorway for safety.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 05, 2011 06:38PM

It turns out it's illegal to do a bonfire in my backyard. I mean, who knew, right?

Posted by: lost&forgotten ( )
Date: November 05, 2011 07:09PM

No sign whatsoever of it being forgotten if the commotion in this neck of the woods tonight is anything to go by!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 05, 2011 07:16PM

Isn't he the guy who murdered a bunch of people (in Holland) because he wanted the roman cathoholic church to have more power ?

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 09:45PM

Nope. He was involved in a plot to blow up the British parliament in 1605 when King James 1 was opening the session. He was caught red handed in the basement about to light the fuse to barrels on gunpowder. He and his co conspirators were Catholics opposed to James who was protestant. Guy Fawkes is burned in effigy on bonfires throughout Britain on the 5th. Never a country to miss out on tradition, British soldiers to this day search the basement of Parliament when the Queen delivers her opening day speech.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 01:09AM

He fought for Spain against the reformation in Holland before he did the gunpowder rebellion.

Posted by: Tori ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 02:51AM

Just to make it clear, we celebrate the fact he was caught and stopped from blowing people up, we don't celebrate him or his life! (We should start calling it 'death of Guy Fawkes celebration to be more accurate!)

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 01:07AM

Only the Brits can make pancakes and stew washed down with a bit of beer sound so romantic! lol

I'm just jealous i can't tell me hubby were a havin a bit of hot pot and parkin for dinner. It would make me sound like such a better cook. :)

I would love to come to England some day and hang out with some of my fellow ex mo's. It sounds like it might be some great fun!

Posted by: fallible ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 11:12AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.